Paperboy: Special Delivery Review
- Story mode with added objectives and unique upgrades.
- Classic arcade mode available.
- Original visual style with updated graphics.
- Controls never feel entirely comfortable.
- Story mode too brief.
If you loved the original Paperboy arcade title, then Paperboy: Special Delivery provides the goods, but the anachronistic gameplay isn't easy to enjoy if you missed it the first time around.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Ahhh good old Paperboy... how I remember wasting far too much money on you in the arcade until I wised up and realized I didn't enjoy butting my head against games that are so unforgiving. While Paperboy: Special Delivery isn't the first attempt at adapting this classic game, Glu's version shouldn't be leaving us any time soon like the first release.
Players can opt to take control of their paperboy either through pure tilt controls, a combination of touch and tilt or a via a simple virtual stick. While the use of touch controls may seem helpful, the pure tilt controls are surprisingly intuitive, making it much easier to navigate the hazardous streets of your paper route. In the newly created 'story' mode you'll perform your usual duties as a paperboy with the aim of earning enough to purchase a console, but additional objectives such as running a race or delivering flowers bulk up the 'classic' arcade mode gameplay which is also available.
The good-old isometric view has also been kept from the arcade original and while the outdated looking graphics may put off some, it is updated and much cleaner, making life a little easier when trying to judge distances.
However despite the surface changes it still remains the old Paperboy and all the problems ingrained in the original have carried over. For nostalgic fans this doesn't get much better, but even with a new story mode it's hard to jump back in to the saddle and enjoy the ride.
DescriptionA veritable classic from the golden age of video gaming returns to a new route on the iPhone/smartphone/mobile platform! The arcade game you remember from the 80's has been brought back to life with updated graphics and a new Story Mode with more forgiving game-play mechanics.
As the Paperboy, you'll fight for customers against the enigmatic "Grifter." Successfully deliver papers to the customers on your route, scoring bonus points for landing papers directly in their mailbox. You'll have plenty of obstacles to contend with along the way: avoid dogs, cars, burglars, breakdancers, trash cans, runaway lawnmowers and more!
As you play through the story, you'll acquire different skills and abilities - like yo-yo and multi-paper throws - to get help you through challenging areas. Pay attention for clues as the story unfolds - will you get the girl? Who are the mysterious paper barons trying to muscle in on your turf? All will be revealed in this humorous, nostalgic and faithful re-creation of the 80's classic!
- An update that retains the humor and core gameplay of the original 80's stand-up arcade classic
- Easy controls make pick-up-and-play a snap: turn left/right, speed up/slow down, throw papers.
- Funny, engaging storyline set in the 80s, supported by new obstacles, gameplay enhancements and characters. 20 story levels in all!
- A NEW, easier STORY Mode in addition to CLASSIC Mode - just like the original!
- Refined artwork and graphics make for a deeper, richer and more 3D experience than ever before.
- Develop your paperboy character by unlocking 10 special skills and abilities in Story Mode such as the yo-yo throw or multi-paper throw.
- GAME CENTER LEADERBOARDS Hit bullseye deliveries and other obstacles to get higher scores and dominate the global leaderboards.
- Special Halloween theme in the story mode. Trick unsubscribers by smashing their windows!
FOLLOW US at
Twitter - @glumobile