Avenging Spirit Review
- Bizzarre classic Arcade platforming action.
- Swap bodies and collect the powers of those you fight.
- Two endings based off your progression.
- A short game to finish if you know what you're doing.
It may not be a new game, but Avenging Spirit isn't exactly your typical platformer and remains just as fun now as it did back in the Arcades.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Avenging Spirit, otherwise known as Phantasm in Japan, was perhaps one of the most curious concepts to come out of 1991 (and this is the same year players played as a robotic cod; helped lemmings to escape traps; and fought criminal overlords from Shadaloo on the streets). In what is to be the first in a series of team-ups between DotEmu and JALECO, you'll be able to possess the criminals who killed you and kidnapped your girlfriend in an attempt to learn the secrets of the spirit realm.
The controls are surprisingly simple considering the concept and players need only to move around the screen with a virtual stick while jumping and shooting their weapon with the two on screen buttons. What makes Avenging Spirit such a challenging and interesting platformer is the ability to possess anyone you fight, taking on almost all of their abilities. This can make things very difficult if you're forced to give up a useful body like a Ninja only to be forced to use a perverted Vampire, but should you pick the right body for the boss at the end of each level you'll find the game to be a snap to complete.
Given the age of the game it's surprising to see the intense amount of detail that has gone in to the sprites, though at times the visual clutter can make it hard to work out where you're going. Handy arrows can help out, but with so many paths open to choose from it can become a daunting game to master.
Avenging Spirit isn't a particularly long game and the ability to jump in at levels you've unlocked can make this an even easier game to finish, but like any good classic arcade title it'll fight you for every inch you make. An excellent adaption of a fun arcade title and a solid addition to any classic and modern gamer's collection.
DescriptionA crazy platform game that let you swap bodies and collect the powers of those you fight.
4/5 - ”An excellent adaption of a fun arcade title and a solid addition to any classic and modern gamer's collection.” AppSpy
/!\ ##IMPORTANT## /!\ This game will run on iPhone 3GS, iPhone4, iPod Touch 3rd Generation and up, and iPad Devices.
Have you ever dreamt of possessing your enemies in a video game? It is now possible with Avenging Spirit, also known as Phantasm (ファンタズム), one of the best japanese platform-arcade game of the 90’s! Transform your iPhone in a coin-op machine and play this classic with a gameplay totally adapted to this platform.
During a walk with his girlfriend, a boy is ambushed by agents of a mysterious crime organization and is shot to death. Now, as a wandering spirit with the ability to possess most others, he is summoned by his girlfriend's father to save her from these criminals.
- Original game: Fight through 6 stages to infiltrate the crime organization’s base in order to rescue the girl.
- Freeplay: Play this mode to train yourself.
- Arcade: Play the real game with 3 lives. Each time you unlock a stage, you can start again your adventure from this point.
- Gameplay: Play in a fullscreen mode or in the original resolution with a virtual pad completely adapted to this game.
- Soundtrack: Ready to go back in some great arcade music of the 90’s? Or play with your own music if you prefer!
- Game Center: More than 30 achievements to unlock! Possess a ninja or a gangster and try to unlock the others! Check the leaderboard and compete with your friends to make the best score!
2 other game from the Jaleco Arcade Series available :
64th Street (Beat Them All)
Earth Defense Force (Shoot Them Up)
Thank you everyone for supporting Avenging Spirit! Do not forget to rate us 5 stars and we'll keep on going with new content! Feel free to tell the world about this game!
Follow us on Facebook:
Follow us on Twitter:
Visit us on: