- Great music.
- The game takes stretching and creates a fun tactical RPG out of it.
- Moving around a level lacks the finesse one would like.
Squids is a fun tactical RPG with likeable characters, great music, and a learning curve that eases new players in. Getting this one is a no brainer.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
One of the PR quotes on the app store page likens Squids by The Game Bakers to a melding of Angry Birds and Final Fantasy Tactics. It's right in the sense that you're using your finger to fling cute animals at their enemies under the guise of a tactical RPG system, but for those looking for the depth of a Final Fantasy Tactics, you're probably going to be disappointed. That's not to sell the game short however, as its novel approach and the way it eases into game concepts will please both new comer and veteran alike.
Squid kids Steev and Valhine are off exploring old ruins for sunken treasure when they come across a dark portent. A black ooze is returning and is threatening their lands. It's up to them and a host of colorful characters with their own unique abilities to fight back this menace one turn at a time. Squids are controlled by stretching them in the opposite direction to where you want to go and letting them fly. Each class of squid has its own useful secondary ability. Scouts can dash to explore levels quickly, medics heal others by bumping into them, shooters can... shoot, and troopers can send out a shockwave. Flinging squids into enemies will damage them or bump them off the level, but the same can be done to your team members, so you do need to watch your positioning.
Each level awards pearls for successful completion targets, and these pearls can be used to level up your current team members, or to buy new hats from the store. These hats boost character stats, and more pearls can be purchased in app if you want a significant advantage. The art style is vibrant and eye pleasing, but where the presentation really shines is with the music. Both relaxing and jaunty, the Caribbean feel will help the levels pass by much more quickly.
Squids is perfect for both the casual fan and players looking for something with a little more substance. The game is easy to pick up and learn, and the difficulty never ramps up to a point that's a deal breaker. Those who like leveling and playing with team load outs to get the highest score possible out of each level will also find themselves wasting the hours on this light and fun RPG experience.
Description★ #1 RPG in 65 countries! ★
★ Loved by gamers all around the world: 5-star rating! ★
"The adorable spawn of Angry Birds and Final Fantasy Tactics" -The Escapist
"From the gameplay to the graphics to the sound, everything here is pitch-perfect." - GameZebo (5/5)
"A kinetic, clean, charming, and particularly streamlined entry that has a ton of character, fun, and unique constructs to share." - Touch Arcade
"SQUIDS is the game I was waiting for since the creation of the App Store. A masterpiece." - ApplicationiPhone
SQUIDS is a unique mix of action strategy and RPG: build your team of heroes for epic turn-based battles against corrupted crabs and shrimps!
Steev, Vahine and the rest of the Squids are in danger! An infectious black ooze is corrupting their world. Only a few heroes can fight back and save their lush underwater kingdoms! Recruit a small army of stretchy Squids and lead them into turn-based battles against the dark hordes.
• Grab Squids by the tentacles, then fling them across the battlefield
• Mixes the best of iOS gaming with classic RPG elements
• Recruit a unique team of Squids in four different classes: shooters, scouts, troopers and healers
• Use strategy and skill to win turn-based battles, use the environment to your advantage
• Customize your party with special ability-boosting helmets
• Enjoy an epic story with giant turtle rides and heroic boss battles
• Discover the Squids' legendary world through gorgeous detailed levels
• Game Center and OpenFeint support for leaderboards and achievements
Compatible with iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, 5 and iPod touch (4th). Requires iOS 4.3 or later.
The game is localized in English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Chinese and Russian.
For the latest info on SQUIDS, or to ask us a question, check us out on Twitter @SquidsTheGame or Facebook/SquidsTheGame
No Squids were harmed during the making of this game.
What's New in Version 1.8.1- Korean translation
- BUG FIX: Chest of Pearl pearl amount
- BUG FIX: Venus achievement
To celebrate the launch of SQUIDS comic book on the App Store, we have updated the game with a few extras...
• A new map - with 2 new missions - and a new Squids to unlock: the pretty awesome Magnus, legendary gladiator from the Thalas arenas.
• To give you a foretaste of the comic book, we have also included just for you The Ballad of Clint and Sammo, a short comic book to let you discover how the mighty Sammo crossed path with the most wanted Squid Clint...
• And of course a few bug fixes and tweaks here and there.
Happy tentacle stretching and happy reading!
For info or news, here is how to reach us. We always reply!
Write to us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Official site: www.squidsthegame.com