Earth Defense Force Review
- Solid port of a classic SNES title.
- Arcade style SHMUP challenge.
- Six levels to complete and bonus weapons to unlock.
- Swipe controls feel awkward; no option to modify them specifically.
- Bland, generic style; though understandable for a 20 year old game.
Earth Defense Force may not be the best SHMUP from the SNES, but it's still a decent shooter and a decent port of an otherwise aging title.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Earth Defense Force is yet another collaboration between DotEmu and JALECO in their attempt to resurrect classic arcade titles for a modern generation. In this classic side-scrolling shoot'em-up you'll travel through six different stages, slowly powering up your ship before the final confrontation and unlocking additional features.
This really is classic SHMUP gaming, though it's hard to say 'at its best' as there are a few quirks that make it hard to truly enjoy. Most importantly players need to be able to control their ship with accuracy and while the full-screen swipe system is certainly the best option (seriously, don't bother with the virtual stick), there are no options to customize the controls to your liking (e.g., no ability to switch between relative or direct control or sensitivity). For a game that's best described as 'arcade' level in its difficulty - that is to say, entirely unforgiving - not being able to react with accuracy quickly becomes frustrating.
Also, much like SEGA's emulated Genesis titles, Earth Defense Force is limited to the visuals present in the original SNES version. While the graphics still hold up relatively well, after almost 20 years the designs border on generic for the genre.
Earth Defense Force is still a solid shoot'em-up and certainly a game some SNES owners may consider a classic. This release is definitely for those nostalgic for classic shooters or those who played the game in the past, but if you're willing to take a few knocks on the chin you may still enjoy the challenge of this shooter as well.
DescriptionThe SNES Shoot’em’up is back!
”An addictive side-scrolling shooter and a pitch-perfect port of an SNES classic, which works tremendously well on iOS devices.” - GamePro 4.5/5
"Earth Defense Force’s iOS remake is even better than the classic game it’s based on." - Macworld.com 4.5/5
The E.D.F (Earth Defense Force) is recruiting some skilled pilots. Are you one of them? Travel back to the 90’s with Earth Defense Force, one great horizontal shooter arcade game! Transform your iPhone in a coin-op machine and play this classic with a gameplay totally adapted to this platform.
The alien Azyma Empire, threatens to destroy the Earth with the Orbital Buster, a large computerized space satellite. The Earth's only hope lies in the recently developed XA-1 spaceships held under the organization known as E.D.F: Earth Defense Force. You are the pilot in command!
/!\ ##IMPORTANT## /!\ iPhone 3GS, iPhone4, iPod Touch 3rd Generation and up, and iPad Devices only.
- Original game: Fight through 6 stages to infiltrate the Alien armada and save the Earth! Its fate is in your hands!
- Soundtrack: Ready to go back in some great arcade music of the 90’s? Or play with your own music if you prefer!
- Freeplay: Play this mode to train yourself.
- Arcade: Skill is required for this mode! Play the real game with only 2 credits. Each time you unlock a stage, you can start again your adventure from this point.
- Gameplay: Choose your comfortable way between 2 different modes! Play with a touch mode completely adapted on the iDevices for this kind of game, or play in the original resolution with a v-pad.
- Game Center: Lots of different achievements to unlock! Complete the game several times in order to unlock different weapons! Check the leaderboard and compete with your friends to make the best score!
Check out the 2 other games from the Jaleco Arcade Series :
- 64th Street : Beat them all
- Avenging Spirit : Platform
Thank you everyone for supporting E.D.F! Do not forget to rate us 5 stars and we'll keep on going with new content! Feel free to tell the world about this game!
Follow us on Facebook:
Follow us on Twitter:
Visit us on: