Liberty Wings Review
- Multiple gameplay modes to explore.
- Initially free; purchase additional content as you require it.
- Poor hit detection for bombing targets in the free-roaming top-down mode.
- Generic gameplay with limited incentives to complete objectives.
Liberty Wings is a game that attempts to feed the insatiable need for more 'value', but in providing a diverse amount of variety it fails to polish any one of them sufficiently.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
In what may be a fairly unpopular sentiment, it has to be said that much of the gaming crowd surrounding the App Store has a relatively skewed sense of 'value' when it comes to the content in games. The perpetuation of this need to provide lots of content for little money is certainly great for the consumer, but it does result in some odd aberrant titles like Liberty Wings by Digital Reality.
In what is ostensibly a fairly classic shoot'em-up (shmup) title, Liberty Wings seeks to appease a broad crowd by mixing multiple sub-genres over three levels for each of the four available zones in the game. A mix of touch and tilt controls are available, though the tilt controls only work in the classic 'vertical' shooter mode. Additional top-down free-exploring and side-scrolling bomber gameplay modes are also available for each area, though despite the variation, none of these modes ever manage to feel more than generic.
Planes zip around the screen in fixed paths, spewing forth a random assortment of tiny bullets that, along with the land-based tanks and cannons, results in a screen full of danger that's hard to avoid. This is to be expected in the vertical shooter mode, but on the objective-based top-down and side-scrolling bomber gameplay modes it's a frustrating mess that makes you dependant on the random 'health' drops to keep you topped up. These levels can be cut short by completing the main objective straight away, but this only cheats you out of the challenge of finishing a level properly.
In seeking to provide gamers with a variety of challenges; a broad selection of gameplay styles; and a range of areas to explore, Liberty Wings comes off as unfocused and scattered. Those who choose to approach each level seriously and with the intent of completing them entirely will get a decent bang for their buck out of Liberty Wings, but with no incentive to do so it's unlikely to remain entertaining for very long.
DescriptionIn collaboration with OpenFeint's Free Game of the Day, Liberty Wings is FREE!
Remember to download OpenFeint’s Game Channel App to get the Free Game of the Day every day and the new weekly Fire Sale!
Help us to make the game more visible ! If you like Liberty Wings, give us 5 stars!
"Liberty Wings is a 3 in 1 game box, and in that sense Liberty Wings is a good value (mostly at its 99 cent asking price)" review by 148apps.com
"Great, polished game!
This game is very well done, and combines multiple styles really well. On some missions you steer just like in the game "mini squadron", at other times it's just like a standard arcade shooter. The differing styles really keep the maps fun and exciting, even on replays."
Take control of a World War II air fighter and fight your way through enemy
lines in this action-packed shoot-em-up!
Liberty Wings puts you in the role of an air officer from the US Navy during World War II, with the mission to hunt and take down all elements of the German Atom Bomb Project. Fly over the Arctic Circle, the Pacific Islands,
Germany and much more, choose between 3 game modes and reach
your objectives to save humanity from the Nuclear Menace!
Main Features :
- Action-packed shoot'em up gameplay
- Enjoy 3 different gameplay, integrated into one action package!
- Classic portrait shooter and virtual analog joystick controllable, landscape oriented bombing and sideview levels.
- Travel and fight through 12 scenes in 4 different locations throughout the world
- Campaign and Free mode
- Defeat great end-level bosses and save the world from the nazi's nuclear warplan
- 2 control modes in the portrait levels (tilt or finger)
- Enjoy the high-quality and cutting edge art content
- Open Feint integration
- Recommended to fans of iFighter, iBomber, and other great war shoot-em-up games.
For more information about the game
- tips & tricks
- latest news
- contest -WIN COOL STUFF-
Join the squadron on facebook:
Pricing and Availability:
- Unlimited Life option: 0,99 USD
- Additional Map with 3 new scenes: 0,99 USD
- All Maps Pack with 9 new scenes: 1,99 USD
If you have any technical problem with the app, contact us at email@example.com
What's New in Version 1.01- "Easy" game mode polishing on the air-strike scene of the pacific island level
- More lifepoints added to the bombing missions in the "easy" game mode
- Direct facebook link added when game starts