- Solid controls and gameplay.
- Vibrant visuals.
- Not much challenge.
Blobster is a well made platformer, just not one that will likely interest teenagers or adults.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
In Blobster you control 'Blobster' who is trying to save Blobtopia from pollution at the hands of the Big & Powerful Corporation run by the evil Blobzilla. Blobster must collect Blobules - the fuel that keeps Blobtopia running - if he hopes to ever bring Blobzilla and the B&P Corporation down... and if I ever have to say Blob again, it'll be too soon.
Blobster is split up into four worlds, each with ten regular levels and a few bonus levels opened by high scores. Each stage consists of moving Blobster to the end pipe while collecting as many Blobules as possible. Upon level completion you're ranked on the Blobules collected, time taken and size grown, but the percentage ranking is only tied to collecting every Blobule in the level.
Blobster is controlled by touching the sides of the screen to move him left or right. Stretching him allows him to jump, with the height increasing as he grows larger. Special power-ups allow Blobster to shield himself from enemies or jump especially high. There are also tilt controls to move, but the precision of the touch controls are better suited to the platforming gameplay.
Blobster is bright and cheery. All the blobs have a lot of character and the worlds have a nice variation in theme. The sound effects are quite cutesy and the music serves this purpose, although the lack of music during the play itself was an odd omission. The four worlds is all that's on offer here, but the game does link up to the Crystal network.
Blobster is well made, but is probably not for the older gamer. The visuals, sound effects, and easy gameplay lend themselves more towards a much younger audience. If you do have a child who you'd risk lending your iPhone or iPod touch to, Blobster is a great introduction for them into the platforming genre.
DescriptionGet ready to meet one gooey hero…
Blobtopia is at risk from some nasty pollution from the evil Big and Powerful Corporation, and it’s up to you to help! Blobster is an awesome platforming adventure with a twist! Flick the flubbery fella across incredible levels; avoid pitfalls, water hazards, squish pesky bad guys and collect amazing power-ups on your way to cleaning up Blobtopia and defeating Blobzilla!
"...it really feels like one’s playing with a toy, rather than simply controlling another video game character. This is what makes Blobster a unique, stand-out platformer." — 148Apps, 4/5 Stars
"Blobster is a well-made platformer that will entertain just about anyone willing to take it for a spin." — Slide To Play
"Behind its playful charm is a platformer of rare quality. Blobster combines the best of what we love about retro platformers, but with modern refinements." — Eurogamer
"Blobster is probably the most adorable little thing you will ever come across." — AppAdvice
• Forty unique levels like you’ve never seen before, with more to come.
• Amazing level design will have players in awe as they fling their way through the engrossing campaign.
• Super easy to pick up and play, flick Blobster around using the intuitive control scheme.
• Collect game-changing power ups, including the ability to rocket through the sky, float like an angel or transform into a giant.
• A variety of pesky enemies to squash, each with their own special ability Blobster must overcome.
• Twelve Special Bonus levels—gift them to your buddies.
For more information please visit www.chillingo.com
What's New in Version 1.3• Completely new world, "Beach Bonanza", with ten new levels and three bonus levels.
• Four new Blobster skins: "Stayin' a-blob", "The Blobosphere", "G. I. Blob" and "Swedeblob".
• "Unlock all" In App Purchase, unlock all levels and extra content for $.99.
• Send Blobster as a gift to a friend.
• Facebook & Twitter integration.
• Sound FX and Music now have separate volume controls in settings, now you can play your own tunes.