Bug Assault Review
- Publisher: BANDAI NAMCO Games America Inc.
- Genre: Arcade
- Released: 17 May, 2012
- Size: 40.5 MB
- Price: $0.99
- Really simple and ingenious control scheme that the gameplay is centered around.
- A high score game, but it's broken up into levels with boss battles.
- Younger players will enjoy collecting the insect specimens.
- The music grates pretty quickly.
- Hefty price tags in the shop mean that grinding is required to buy the power-up weapons.
A clever little high score game about zapping bugs between your fingers. Plenty of crazy boss battles and challenges await.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
It's all out insect war! Well actually the insects are pawns used in a skirmish between birds and squirrel but the game is called 'Bug Assault' for a reason. With a set amount of health, can you eliminate the approaching hostile bug swarms while protecting the ladybugs? With your trusty bug zapper at the ready, you'll soon find out.
Bug Assault has an incredibly simple yet amazingly realized control scheme. Touch the screen with one index finger to create a zap point. Touching the screen with your other index finger will create a bolt of electricity that zaps between your fingers. A line of bugs lined up between your pointers will create a combo and boost your high score. There is a catch however. Any Ladybugs you kill will be to the detriment of your own health, so the game becomes a dance of avoiding the Ladybugs while creating lines around them to zap as many of the other insects as you can. Certain bugs can be tapped on to create bonus swarms or to regain health, but the culmination of this mechanic comes in the boss fights, each with their own gimmick that you have to work out and overcome to reach the next stage of play.
Any bug that you come into contact with or kill gets jarred over at the insectarium, adding a collection element to play that should interest younger players. The money you get from playing the game can also be used on additional weapons that can assist you during play. The Tesla coil, fly swatter or gas canister can give you that extra edge you need, and be upgraded... but that's attached to the in-app purchase model. Gaining cash is pretty slow, so if you want these weapons, you're probably gonna be forking over real money for them. It's not so bad as they're not really needed if you have the skill, but they are fun to use, and it certainly feels like a misstep.
So with its colorful buggy characters, inventive control scheme and ever-increasing difficulty punctuated with boss battles, Bug Assault is definitely worth a look. No guarantees on whether it might cure folks who are terrified of insects, but it certainly couldn't hurt.
DescriptionAPPSPY 4/5 - "Bug Assault has an incredibly simple yet amazingly realized control scheme."
APPSPARKLE 4/5 - "Gameplay is highly addictive"
TOUCHGEN 4/5 -" I loved playing Bug Assault by Bandai Namco. Because I get to squash, slap, smack and electrocute them. And because it’s pretty darn good too."
148APPS 3.5/5 - "It's a solid pick, particularly for households with young gamers."
Addictive gameplay, an all new mechanic, upgradeable weapons, boss fights, collectibles and much more await you on the battlefield! Can you handle the Bug Assault?
After suffering the volts of Skippy in Bird Zapper, the birds are now sending armies of nasty bugs to the squirrel’s home for revenge… but Skippy is prepared! Help the little furry hero battle against endless waves of invading insects, but bring your A-game, the miniature menace is ruthless and very cunning.
- Highly addictive gameplay – No two invasions are alike, the bugs change their tactics with every new game.
- An all new mechanic – Tap two points to create an electric arc that buzzes the bugs caught in the middle.
- Upgradeable weapons – When the going gets tough, bring out the Tesla Coil to fry any bug caught in its range. More of a “hands on” individual? We’ve got you covered with powerful swatting devices guaranteed to leave a nasty bruise. Thinking of mass destruction? Feel free to utilize the powerful gas sprays and really wreak some havoc among the pesky crawlers. Each weapon can be upgraded to maximize the pain!
- Boss fights – The bugs have a few tricks up their tiny sleeves, especially when it comes to warfare. They’re bringing out the big guns, the biggest and baddest insects ever seen. Pay extra attention to these scoundrels, they’ll need a bit more than a whack on the head to take the old dirt nap.
- Collectibles – Skippy prides himself with his trophies, even if they are crazy insects. There’s an Insectarium where each bug defeated on the battlefield is collected, tagged and given its own special jar. They all have a story to tell and they’re definitely worth checking out.
- Challenges – Because squirrels itch for excitement at every step, with every new game comes an extra goal that grants significant rewards for those brave enough to reach it.
iOS 5 support, Facebook and Twitter for Achievements and Challenges because you’ll want your friends to know how awesome you are, Fun Facts about the fascinating insect world, a Kids Mode with exclusive Fun Facts for the toddler gamers and much, much more await you in Bug Assault!
Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/BugAssault
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/namcogamesRo
Check out our videos and game trailers at www.youtube.com/NamcoGamesRomania
Visit our official site at www.namcobandaigames.com to get more info about all our games.
What's New in Version 1.0.1Charge your zappers, grab your swatters and head for the battlefield – Bug Assault's first update is now live ! Skippy's long term investment in mad scientists have finally paid off and everyone knows : mad scientists deliver ! Check out the cool new features they've prepared :
• Two new ultimate abilities – Rage of the Skies and Seal of Friendship. Swipe the screen to call upon Skippy's shaman ancestors and summon a massive lightning storm that will eliminate all enemies on screen. Draw a circle on the screen to temporarily wrap all lady bugs in protective shields, making them immune to Skippy's arsenal.
• Stage Bonuses – Brush up on your zapping skills and enjoy some compensation for your efforts, get more acorns for each new stage you reach.
• Daily Gift –Log in each day and receive cool free stuff like acorns, ammo and more!
• All Level 1 weapons are now unlocked by default and we're also handing out some free ammo to get you started. Whether you love to swat some insects with a newspaper, fry some bugs with a Tesla Coil or unleash noxious fumes with the Gas Spray, we've got you covered in this update!