Space is Key Review
- Fast paced gameplay.
- Retro design.
- Very short length.
Even with a lack of content, Space is Key is cheap enough for everyone to give this fun little game a try.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
What is the mark of a good game? Has a game that finishes leaving you wanting more a sign of quality, or is that a sign that the developer hasn't taken their concept far enough? Space is Key by ChrisJeff games has us at Appspy thinking about this, and we'll tell you why soon enough.
In Space is Key you are a moving block. You either move to the left or the right depending on the level, but the goal is the same; reach the star on the other side, and don't die. Blocking your pathway are barriers that you either have to jump over or travel under, and every now and then the game changes things up by giving you faster movement or a jump with a different arc. The game is extremely fast paced with death instantly spawning you at the start of a level again, and a couple of the trickier screens can really put your patience to the test.
Space is key employs a retro aesthetic and pulls it off very nicely. The blocks, barriers and flat color backgrounds remind us of an old Atari title, while each level also has text written on the background either helping you or goading you as you travel screen to screen. The music is a chirpy chiptune number that is quite catchy and fuels the fast pace of the game, though it can get annoying the longer you play, and the mute option is helpful.
Space is Key oozes style from its simple mechanics that build upon themselves to it's cohesive retro production to its fast paced gameplay. It is a stellar game but its big failing is that whole thing is too damn short. While reviewing, the game came to an end in about 10 minutes, where-in the menus were furiously searched for extra levels to no avail. Is our positive impression hampered by thinking that the game didn't fully explore its potential, or would more content have simply been too much and negatively influenced our opinions? Space is Key is worth a play just to try and answer that question.
Version 1.1 is due soon!
Version 1.1 contains :-
- Now using Adobe AIR!
- All of Space is Key 2 levels (That's an extra 58 levels)
- A whole new "hell mode" which is a challenge mode consisting of levels to drive you to the edge! (First challenge has 30 levels. Will be more challenges coming soon too!).
- iPad support! Finally, some iPad support that I've been wanting to add for a while. This also makes the app universal If I'm correctly understood!
- Bug fixes. Most of the bugs on 1.0 were due to me not knowing Objective-c well at all, so these should all be wiped out!
- No Game Center. Sadly removing this due to leaderboards full of cheats and I have no way to control this but I'll add Achievements in a later update!
That's 88 levels right there just added to the game for free. And there will be more! (If I release Space is Key 3, I'll be updating the game to contain these levels also).
Space is Key. Simple concept, but can you do it?
Ported over to iOS by popular demand! From the hit flash game that has accumulated over 10 million plays! Now you can feel the frustration of exploding pixels on your iOS device! You won't want to put you're device down after you get a taste of Space is Key!
Time your jumps carefully, or you turn into tiny particles! Challenging, yes, but the computer provides plenty of snarky encouragement. Its like getting advice from a mildly annoying friend.
Packed full of fun features:
- 43 levels of action packed gameplay!
- 25 Game Center achievements.
- Global highscores.
- In-game narrative that coaches you along!
- Supports game saving and loading with local top scores also.
- Facebook integration. Share your score with your friends! See if they can beat it.
- Easy, pick up and play style controls, hard to master!
- Smooth, responsive gameplay.
""Did you think Super Meat Boy was a tad too easy? Then Space Is Key is the iPhone game for you." - GameSpot UK.
"Fiendishly difficult but strangely captivating arcade experience" - TouchArcade
"Space is Key oozes style from its simple mechanics" - AppSpy
"Definitely a fun, challenging game" - DailyAppShow
"Is Space Is Key the most hardcore highscore iPhone game this year?" - PocketGamer
"Shining example of how effective keeping it simple can be" - Altiapp