Bring Me Sandwiches!! Review
- Crazy platforming with a Katamari Damacy edge.
- Vibrant presentation; everything pops out and is easy to identify.
- Play at your own pace; progress immediately or complete challenging requirements to unlock additional content.
- Touchy controls for later platforming hazards.
Bring Me Sandwiches!! takes the very base concept of a game like Katamari and gives it a fresh spin by placing it in a 2D platformer complete with the same charming touches that turn up the corners of your mouth in to a smile.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
It seems Adult Swim are on a rampage at the moment and their collection of high-quality games for the iOS platform has once again expanded with the release of Grumpyface Studio's title Bring Me Sandwiches!!. Set in a typically unreal cartoonish world, your character is targeted by a gigantic alien invader as the sole provider of sustenance. So now, with the help of the Secret Service, you'll collect everything you can possibly fit on to a slice of bread to satiate the alien's hunger.
This pretty much sums up the gameplay as well - the game itself is first and foremost a 2D platformer and you'll need to negotiate typical hazards (albeit tweaked to suit the country you're currently in) while vacuuming up everything from the pebbles on a dirt road to the vehicles themselves and even entire buildings. Most levels present a basic set of requirements, be it to collect 'x' amount of a certain object or simply ensuring each sandwich has a particular item on it before handing it in.
Initially you can only collect smaller items, but with each sandwich handed in your ability to collect larger items is increased. The catch, however, is that you may also end up collecting convenient pathways used to access additional areas. This is offset by collecting a jetpack, giving you the ability to double-jump for the rest of the level or other modes of transport (including riding jets of water).
Much like Katamari Damacy, the game's addictive edge comes from the charm of its presentation and the ludicrous way in which things spiral ever towards crazy proportions. In keeping with the casual gameplay, the game itself isn't difficult to complete as progression is rarely blocked by the need to replay previous levels. That said, those after some challenge can try to collect all the 'golden toast' on a level by meeting requirements such as beating the level in a set time or reaching a particular score.
Sadly there are a few quibbles to be had, notably with the controls. They come in three different flavors (swipe, tilt and touch), but jumping can feel a bit lofty, while responsiveness in turning can also lead to taking damage where you'd otherwise have avoided it.
If you're after a game that seeks to do nothing more than to distract and tickle those pleasure zones in your brain, check out Bring Me Sandwiches!!; it's not deep or complicated, but it's pure fun from start to finish.
Description"This game is unlike anything out there, and loads of fun!" - Appolicious
"Another sparky, generous and amusing offering from Adult Swim." - EDGE
"Adult Swim has published another addictive game." - Game Set Watch
Adult Swim Games returns with another original iPhone game! Invader Gourmo promises to destroy the Earth unless you meet his simple demand: BRING ME SANDWICHES!! As lowly fast food employee Jimmy Nugget, you’ve been charged by the President of the United States to save the planet. When making a sandwich for Gourmo, anything goes: meat, trash, cats…whatever you can stick between two slices of bread! Use intuitive touch-based controls to run and jump your way through dozens of levels across numerous countries and planets, and power-up your sandwiches with alien technology along the way! But whatever you do, don’t drop the sandwiches!!
From Adult Swim Games and Grumpyface Studios, who also brought you Castle Doombad and Super Mole Escape!
"The consistent stream of quality games from Adult Swim is one of the App Store’s most welcome surprises." -Pocket Gamer
"The true joy of Bring Me Sandwiches!! is seeing how bizarre your sandwiches become."
"Pure fun from start to finish." -AppSpy
• Universal app - Optimized to use the full screen area on your iPad or iPhone/iPod touch
• Precision 2D Gameplay will challenge your platforming skills!
• Travel across the world on your Sandwich-Building Adventure! Dozens of levels across five chapters: USA, Mexico, Italy, Japan and the mysterious Planet Nuzz!
• Easy-to-use controls that can be customized to match your favorite playstyle!
• GameCenter support with dozens of Achievements to unlock, and compete against your friends in points-based and time-based Leaderboards!
• Track all the crazy stuff you've crammed into your sandwiches with the Food Journal, and discover hidden alien parts in every level to gradually build your own Spaceship!
HAVING PROBLEMS? Help us fix any issues you run into while playing - email [email protected] and tell us what you're seeing along with the device/OS version you're on.
What's New in Version 3.0** 3.0 UPDATE! **
- The game now supports the widescreen display of the iPhone 5 and later (including iPhone 6 and 6 Plus!)
- Fixed a problem that was making the game crash on iPads
- We have flipped the game's price to FREE (ad-supported)
- New icon