Pirate Gunner HD Review
- Publisher: Black Pearl Games Limited
- Genre: Puzzle
- Released: 21 Jul, 2011
- Size: 20.9 MB
- Price: FREE!
- Solid puzzle gameplay.
- Lots of content.
- Good use of pirate theme.
- Lack of music in puzzle mode.
- Later levels can be cheap with overuse of frayed rope.
Pirates, puzzles, and action. If the combination sounds good, this a game worth taking a look at.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Avast me hearties! It's another pirate themed game on the iPhone! Fear not you lovers of swashbuckling and buried treasure for this isn't just a simple attempt to cash in on the pirate craze (though I imagine that's what the developers had in mind), this is actually a really well made puzzle action game.
Like the title suggests, you are a pirate gunner, manning the cannons on Captain Red Beard's ship. As you come across other pirate vessels, the navy, and even giant octopuses, it's up to you to make sure the fuses to the cannons are connected to blast your opponents into Davy Jones' locker. The game plays a little like a mix between Pipe Dream and Bejeweled. Tapping on a fuse will rotate it ninety degrees and you need to connect as many cannons as possible via these fuses for maximum damage. Combos are created by new connections dropping in right after a shot, and as you attack your enemy, explosives, shields, and coins will appear over fuses with bonuses attached for incorporating them into your next volley. Once a ship is destroyed, you are graded on your performance and move onto the next act.
The gameplay is punctuated by a story told through text and still frames. While not enticing, it adds a little flavor to the the game. Aside from story mode, there is a puzzle mode, and an arcade mode. Puzzle mode gives you a certain amount of moves to fire a certain amount of cannons, and arcade mode is basically a boss rush mode, where you fight all the game's ships one after another, seeing how long you can last.
The visuals are bright and functional, with good character design. The music is appropriate and adds some tension to the battles, but it's absence in puzzle mode is unfortunate as that section of the game feels a bit hollow. There are twenty acts to the game, and with the other modes, you should be firing cannons long after the story has wrapped itself up.
Pirate Gunner takes the pirate theme and wraps it around a solid game with a lot of content. If action puzzle games are your forte, then this title is definitely worth a couple pieces of eight.
DescriptionShiver me timbers! Pirate Gunner be FREE! For a short while that is. Be quick my heartys! Booty like this don't come along everyday!
Over 1300000 download and 6000 Five Star Rating!
Man the guns! An epic pirate sea battle puzzle game awaits ye me hearty!
There be legendary treasure for the taking, but to get it, you’ll have to blast your cannons against scurvy pirates, sea monsters and something no pirate has ever seen upon the 7 seas!
“Sporting lots of very beautiful window dressing – including an entertaining light plot – and three modes of play that sufficiently twist the core concept, Pirate Gunner looks like a definite winner. It’s certainly geared toward puzzle fans, but my, is it shaping up to be one of the most glowing offerings within that genre.” – iFanzine, Sean Koch
- A puzzle game incorporating fun animated scenes.
- Play in real-time with excited music and beautiful graphics, Retina supported.
- 20 Act Original Story of epic sea battles! 20 unique achievements! 50 different puzzles! 300 sea battle challenges! Tons of Power Up and other bonus items! Keeping updated.
- Critical hits! Combos! Fire all your guns once or fire continuously to send the lot of your enemies to Davy Jones’ Locker.
- Game Center supported – compete with the other players worldwide!
- Connected with Facebook and Twitter to see be the most notorious pirate there be upon the 7 seas!
3 Game Modes:
- Story Mode: Immerse yourself into a pirate’s life through the language, love and of course — treasure of the Golden Island!
- Puzzle Mode: Will you be cunning enough to use your limited moves to connect the fuse bits and fire the cannons?
- Arcade Mode: Go against an infinite number of ships and see how long you can survive! Compete with friends from around the world and see which who be the deadliest pirate there be!