Saving Yello Review
- Clearly defined score goals for stars.
- The retching sound Yello makes when pulling his tail is a classic.
- This fish packs a lot of destruction.
- The camera could work a little better.
Saving Yello is a fun physics puzzle game in the style of Angry Birds. With plenty of destructive power-ups, and some amusing sound effects, this should keep many iOS gamers amused.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
It must be hard to think of intriguing scenarios to justify the stretching physics puzzle gameplay that has become so popular in the last year or so. Yello is sitting in his bowl (he's a fish by the way) when a sinister hand removes him from his home. The rest of the the game is returning to your fishbowl via some rather incredible jumps, all the while grabbing points for raining down destruction on all the toys and structures that stand in your way.
To make Yello jump, simply pull back on his tail, settle on the arc you wish to travel in, and let go to see what wackiness ensues. Tapping on the fish will make him flop around, and this can aid in clearing the immediate area around you. Destruction is an important part of achieving the three star rating in each level. There are power-ups littered through the levels which can be collected to set Yello on fire, or to explode, or to freeze all that he touches. All of these are designed to help you destroy everything in your path. Hitting three toys in a row will boost your score via a slot machine, while inventive demolishing of tinker toy structures will boost the score multiplier through the roof. All this adds a gleeful tint to the ultimate goal of returning to the fish bowl. After all, who doesn't like breaking stuff in video games?
The additional worlds are locked off until you acquire enough stars so it pays to be as methodical on your path back to not drowning on air as possible. Yello is an expressive fish, both visually and aurally. He jumps around with glee, and expresses worry when a power-up is in effect, such as being frozen or or fire. The retching sound he makes when you stretch his tail is also pretty amusing.
Players are sure to get some fun out of this title. Sure the style of gameplay is getting a little long in the tooth now, but the destruction element is fun, and despite some camera issues to check out where you want Yello to head, there's nothing really done wrong here. A solid effort that's worth a play.
Description★★★ 2 MILLION DOWNLOADS FOR SAVING YELLO! 2 MILLION PEOPLE ADDICTED TO SAVING YELLO CAN'T BE WRONG! ★★★
★★★ #1 iPHONE PUZZLE GAME IN MORE THAN 60 COUNTRIES ★★★
"Saving Yello successfully wraps quality graphics and sound, interesting gameplay, varied power-ups, decent game physics and a cute fish into this entertaining fish-flinging game." - TouchArcade.com - ★★★★✷
Save Yello from his out-of-bowl terror!
Yello, a helpless goldfish at the mercy of his 7-year-old owner, Mathilda who loves playing with him outside his beloved bowl. You must fling Yello back to safety. Get even and destroy Mathilda's toys along the way!
Action packed physics puzzler:
√ Awesome Physics-based destruction
√ Killer power ups
√ Game Center and OpenFeint
√ 50 hazardous levels over 3 settings
☛ Collect all the stars to enjoy many hours of challenging playtime
More games from dreamfab:
“Sure to create a lot of happy faces.” – 148 Apps
“Smashing up cities and making mayhem is great fun!” – Touch Arcade
What's New in Version 1.4If you like Saving Yello, please rate it on iTunes after every update!
WHAT’S NEW IN VERSION 1.4:
- Saving Yello now fully supports the iPhone5 and iOS6!
- Removed OpenFeint, Highscores and Achievements are still available through Gamecenter.
WHAT’S NEW IN VERSION 1.3:
- No time to earn stars? Here is your solution: The “Unlock everything now” IAP now is even more comfortable to use!
- Are those levels too hard? Don’t worry – we’ve improved the “Retry Shots” feature even further!
- No penalty for “Retry Shots” – you can now earn all stars in a level when you have used the “Retry Shots” feature!
- New Star Display – Now you can see at a glance how many stars you need to unlock each chapter!
WHAT’S NEW IN VERSION 1.2:
- 10 new kitchen levels for fish-flinging experts
- improved tutorial hints
- improved notifications when device is offline
- additional bugfixes
WHAT’S NEW IN VERSION 1.1.3:
- fixed Game Center bugs
- tweaked sound effects
WHAT’S NEW IN VERSION 1.1.2:
- Yello has even more character: new facial expressions and animations
- added more music and sound effects
- added a new comic intro sequence
- improved camera controls and handling of Yello
- added In-App Purchases to unlock all levels and permanently get 2 more mulligans