Zombie Piñata Review
- Interesting premise.
- Exploding head balloons.
- Game takes a while to get going.
- Not much challenge.
- One constantly looping music track.
Zombie Pinata is a side scrolling beat em up that plays it safe, not bringing much to the table. Might still be worth a play from fans of beat em ups, and zombies.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
For some inexplicable reason, all the pinatas in Mexico have turned into zombies. Yes you heard that right. The brightly colored nests of candy that bring joy to children have turned into the walking dead. As one of four playable characters, it's time to grab your gun, some grenades and your toughest whacking stick to save Mexico from this zombie plague.
Zombie Pinata is a side scrolling beat em up essentially. You move constantly to the right slaughtering all the undead in your way. Moving is done via a slide bar in the bottom left corner, and your three attacks options are buttons on the right. Guns require ammo and you only have a finite number of grenades, but upon defeating zombies, some ammo, health, and balloons will drop. Balloons are an interesting feature. Upon collecting one, all the zombies on screen will grow inflatable heads, zipping up into the air until the pressure causes their faces to explode. After a mission is over, you have the ability to upgrade your weapon and buy additional health and ammo in Cheke's specialty shop before diving into a new location.
The game has a very simple cartoony look to it, with all the characters represented well. The backgrounds are very nice and stylized, and are the visual highlight of the game. The music consists of the same electronic loop repeated constantly, and might cause some gamers to switch it off. Each mission is split into four short areas, and there are plenty of levels of varying difficulties to clear of zombies.
With such an interesting premise, Zombie Pinata definitely plays it safe. The gameplay can get boring at times, the movement control is a little sloppy, and the pinata zombies don't even appear till about the third mission. Still, some gamers might find this a worthwhile experience on their iPhones. At the least, you get to learn a little more about Mexican geography.
DescriptionSomething terrible has happened!
The once adorable piñatas have mutated into not so adorable Zombies! All that stands in their plans for world domination is a group of insane geeks ready to fight them all over Mexico!
- Travel around some of Mexico’s most famous cities and areas while whacking all the piñatas that stand in your way, clean each town and free the land from this zombie infestation.
- More than anything, piñatas fear the might of the whacking stick, improve your skills with upgradable combos and get power ups to turn your piñata stick into the legendary “Master Stick”
- Visit the totally groovy “Cheke’s Specialty Shop” for grenades, extra ammo and other awesome improvements to increase your chances for survival as you face hordes and hordes of zombie piñatas and people they have turned into zombies.
- Use every weapon and special item at your disposal; inflate zombies or blow them up, dish out justice, piñata hunter style!
- Download additional content such as music and game wallpapers for free!
- Future updates will bring additional achievements and future leader board integration using OpenFeint.
Note: This game will probably not work with 1st Generation iPod Touch/iPhone or iPhone 3G