Fruit Roll Review
- Great selection of music tracks and backgrounds for each level.
- Super fruit mode is fun.
- The color-coded enemy system seems unnecessary.
- The name of the game makes me crave a fruit roll-up.
A fun little time waster but aside from achievements there's not much here to keep your interest for very long.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
One thing about playing a lot of games is that you're always looking for new experiences. For instance, we here at AppSpy have never controlled a double jumping, shape shifting piece of fruit as it constantly rolls down a hill, collecting stars and obliterating random wildlife. Did the experience live up to the novelty of that previous sentence? Let's find out.
Fruit Roll is a game of highscores. As you roll along you boost your score collecting stars and rolling into enemies. There is a catch however. All the enemies are color-coded, and the color corresponds to the fruits you can turn into. These fruits are randomly placed along the levels and you have three slots to hold them. Tapping a fruit will change you into it, but if you can collect three of the same fruit, you turn into a rampaging giant, rolling over everything in your path. Touch an enemy that's a different color than you however and its 'game over', but this is mitigated by the fact that it's often easier to dodge all incoming enemies rather than worry about attacking them.
There's nothing wrong with the game presentation wise. Fruit Roll sprouts luscious colorful visuals, and catchy tunes that will aid in keeping a player rolling along. While the game does use a level system, this seem arbitrary as the speed keeps ramping up and sooner or later you're going to get caught out. It's all about the score anyway.
While the different fruits are there to help string combos together for higher scores, changing color to hit enemies seems to be more of an annoyance than a fun and challenging addition to gameplay. Add to that some framerate issues, and you have a time waster with some great presentation that will present fun for players, but that fun will most likely be short lived.
Sometimes, you just want to squish things. With its intuitive one-touch controls, Fruit Roll makes steamrolling caterpillars, monkeys, frogs, and more a delight. But you can only flatten those enemies if they match your current color. So, be on the lookout for fruit that changes your hue. The more you squish, the more stars you collect and the higher your bonus. Fruit Roll is a breezy game that anybody can enjoy–but can you be the one to master it?
Fruit Roll Highlights
• Intuitive controls make Fruit Roll easy to pick up and play for everyone.
• Rolling up fruit and rolling over enemies is more addictive than you think.
• Thanks to the use of color, Fruit Roll is the next evolution of the infinite runner genre.
• Collect stars by squishing enemies and put together huge combos for a high score.
• Capture three of the same fruit in a row to unlock amazing powers.
• Gorgeous graphics that really pop and unique music make Fruit Roll a feast for your eyes and ears.
For more information or support, please visit www.chillingo.com