Let's Golf! 3 Review
- Easy to pick up and play; practically holds your hand for most basic challenges.
- Fun super-deformed visual style; cartoonish, bright and cheery.
- Interesting location designs.
- After-touch controls lack weight; hard to know if you'll make an impact (randomly swings from no effect to sharp sling-shot turns when hitting the green)
- Limited avatar customization; emphasis on items for stats, but no real variations on clothing with similar stats (everyone looks the same online).
There are times when the freemium model makes sense, but with Let's Golf 3 it feels more like a cheap grab for the wallet as it hands out a stripped down title for a sport that requires lengthy multiple rounds to complete, eating up your 'energy' faster than you can earn it.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
The Let's Golf series from Gameloft has come to represent the casual, fun side of golfing - giving players some sense of realism paired with cute avatars, fantastic and unreal locations, and plenty of unlockables to make competitive play against friends all the more exciting. The third and latest iteration of the title doesn't change its basic tune all that much, pairing all the same elements together, but with one major twist - it's now a Freemium title.
This seriously changes the fun that can be had with a casual game such as this as you're now held to ransom by your literal purse-strings as to how good your character can be and how often you get to play. Want to belt out a few holes on your lunch break? Better make sure you didn't use up all your 'energy' in the morning 'cause you might still be waiting on the timer to tick over. Of course you can pay money for additional energy or in-game cash to exchange for items with huge stat bonuses, but no options for a permanent unlock are currently available.
Aside from the frustrations of having your gameplay limited, Let's Golf 3 remains a polished title in the arcade-sport genre. Almost everything can be left on an autopilot, giving you a rough estimate of where to play the ball, where to stop the power-meter for the best shot and angle and plenty of indicators on the putting green to let you know where to aim. That isn't to say there's no room for improvement and veteran players will be able to override the defaults to better position their shots against or with the wind to set up easy under-par finishes.
Frustratingly, the real meat of the game can't be unlocked without repetitive play, with courses being locked by the experience level of your player (which is increased by playing matches). Multiple modes are available once you're in a course, ranging from traditional stroke play to duel play, but the Challenge mode with all of its juicy game variations won't unlock until you've played at least 9 holes in stroke or duel and each attempt requires a lot of spare energy.
Items are also underwhelming in their variety with most players beyond a certain level looking almost identical as they wear the unappealing combination of glasses, laurel and caveman outfits to remain competitive.
Aside from being free, Let's Golf 3 doesn't bring a lot to the table that's appealing. Even compared to its predecessor the game feels stripped down, which is a real shame when it's declared as a numbered sequel. Sadly not everyone has the right to complain as it's hard to argue with 'free' as a price-point, so if you don't mind trading deeper content for the occasional 'time out', by all means download this title.
DescriptionThe world’s most exciting golf odyssey returns with more great new features that you’ve been waiting for! Everyone can join in this fun and exciting golf adventure. Create your avatar and challenge friends & opponents from across the globe in golf tournaments that are unlike anything you’ve seen before.
WHERE NO ONE HAS GOLFED BEFORE
• Travel to six of the most far-out locations you’ve ever played, from the Great Wall of China to Outer Space!
• Each course is created in 3D so you’ll see every beautiful waterfall, lush forest and distant green as if you were immersed in an adventure.
• Up to 4 golfers can compete in fun matches online. By popular request, you can also play on the same device!
• Your friends not online? Challenge them to beat your score and see who will win the top prize.
• Chat live during your online games.
• Invite all your friends to join the Golf Club via Facebook, Gameloft LIVE!, email and more.
• iPad 2 owners will be able to watch their opponents golf during a match!
BE YOUR OWN GOLFER
• Create your unique golfing avatar from thousands of combinations of clothes, hair, gear and more to match your style, no matter how colorful or down-to-Earth.
• Purchase special skills (like increased range or accuracy for your shots) or balls with special powers (like Tornado, Luck, etc.) using virtual coins you can earn in-game.
Progressively unlock new modes: Stroke Play, Match Play, Shootout, and Close to Pin.
Need a change of pace? Play some challenging mini-games like Catch the Star, Target Range and Putting Master to hone specific skills and become a champion of the links.
Visit our official site at http://www.gameloft.com
Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LetsPlayGL or like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/letsplayGL to get more info about all our upcoming titles.
Check out our videos and game trailers on www.youtube.com/gameloft.
Discover our blog at http://blog.gameloft.com/ for the inside scoop on everything Gameloft.
What's New in Version 1.1.2Get ready for a Let's Golf! 3 party with this newest update! Making buddies and playing exciting games is fun and easy!
- Fashion Contest: Vote for your favorite golfer
- Invite friends to come and play Let’s Golf!
- Challenge them on each hole and choose how much you want to bet!
- New Quick Play rule makes multiplayer matches more accessible
- Sending gifts is now faster and easier