Jetpack Joyride Review
- Multiple game features interlock to provide a constant sense of progression.
- Fun (and familiar) vehicles to cruise around in.
- Smooth, detailed 2D sprite designs; bright, fun and lots of detail.
- Incredibly catchy background music; energetic, jazzy and dynamic - suits just about every situation.
- In-app purchases can be tempting; threatens to ruin the delicate balance of reward/effort (do note however, this is entirely personal).
- Insufficient explanation of 'golden' upgrades.
While touch-to-fly style endless games are nothing new, Jetpack Joyride trumps them all by packing together gorgeous designs with fun gameplay and replay value that's bursting at the seams.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
There were two particularly interesting results that came of Brisbane-based developer Halfbrick studios release of Monster Dash (a fun, but basic endless runner) last year. Firstly it was the introduction of Barry Steakfries - a rebel without a cause and all-around monster slaying badass. Secondly, a temporary power-up allowed you to soar through the sky on the wings of a gatling-gun jetpack - if that doesn't evoke a Tim the "Toolman" Taylor style series of grunts, I don't know what will.
And so now we come to the second in Halfbrick's series of Steakfries-inspired endless runners, but this time it's all-jetpack, all-the-time. The single-touch controls allow you to control Barry's height, spewing forth bullets, flames, lasers or even rainbows depending on the jetpack you've chosen from the unlockable selection in the store. Coins scattered around the screen provide the cash necessary to buy these boons (along with aesthetic changes and temporary power-ups), giving you incentive to come back for more.
Unfortunately, things would get predictably tiresome if you were simply grinding out cash for the sake of it. Thankfully a mission system provides objectives such as high-fiving scientists, grinding your head on the floor or surviving a trip in the teleporter vehicle for a set distance. Stars are awarded for completion of these tasks, upgrading your 'level' and providing cash bonuses, giving you a constant sense of progression.
All of this tightly integrated gameplay would be for naught if the presentation wasn't also up to scratch. Fans of games like Metal Slug will appreciate the fine cartoonish detail that has gone in to the underground science-lab world of Jetpack Joyride, with scientists bumbling around while lasers, explosions and rockets fly around like a never-ending visual smorgasbord. Of particular note is the background music which is so catchy you'll find yourself humming it between sessions - if nothing else the game is worth it for this aural pleasure.
As with all endless titles repetitive play can wear down the joy of Jetpack Joyride, but unless you're playing it almost non-stop the amount of unlockables, bonus features such as coins for a 'slot-machine' finish to each run and the mission system will keep you coming back for more. The new king of runners is here and it's called Jetpack Joyride.
DescriptionYou're going for a ride - from the creators of FRUIT NINJA!
** Winner **
- Apple Design Award 2012!
- Pocket Gamer - Best Action/Arcade Game 2012
- Pocket Gamer - iPhone/iPod Touch Game of the Year 2012
- Pocket Gamer - Overall Game of the Year 2012
- Gamasutra Mobile Game of 2011
- TUAW Best iPhone Game of 2011
- UGO iOS Game of the Year
- Game Revolution Best Mobile Game 2011
- App Store Rewind, iPhone Game of the Year Runner-up!
Suit up with a selection of the coolest jetpacks ever made and take to the skies as Barry Steakfries, the lovable hero on a one-way trip to adventure! From the creators of the worldwide phenomenon Fruit Ninja comes the action-packed Jetpack Joyride, Halfbrick's most anticipated iPhone game ever!
"This is seriously my favorite iPhone game right now. I don't care if you have to go donate blood to afford it, do what you have to do." -- Touch Arcade
"Likely the best dollar you'll spend this summer." -- MTV
"Jetpack Joyride is, quite simply, an amazing game." -- IntoMobile
"Like all the best mobile games, Jetpack Joyride is criminally simple." -- Kotaku
"We are already blown away. Halfbrick looks like they have another hit on their hands." -- AppAdvice
“A miracle, by all accounts.” - PocketGamer
Join Barry as he breaks in to a secret laboratory to commandeer the experimental jetpacks from the clutches of science evildoers. After lift-off, simply touch the screen to ascend and release to descend, raining bullets, bubbles, rainbows and lasers downwards as you fly towards higher and higher scores!
You'll start off with the legendary Machine Gun Jetpack to scatter the evil scientists, but throughout each game you'll collect coins and complete missions to earn cash and buy new gear in The Stash! Pick your favorite jetpack, snazzy outfit and stock up on items then get back out there for more action!
Keen reflexes are your best weapon to avoid the obstacles in your path. These include lasers, electricity fields and even guided missiles, but thankfully this is a top secret lab - there will be even more goodies to pick up and help Barry along the way. Stay out of harm and you'll reach massive scores, unlock Achievements and beat your friends on the online leaderboards!
Get a boost of speed and power using the Lil' Stomper, Profit Bird and Crazy Freaking Teleporter, just a selection of the vehicles pickups available - all playable with one touch controls. You can even splash out and upgrade the vehicles with coin magnets or shiny gold plating for that bonus style factor!
Stay alive, get funky and lose yourself in Jetpack Joyride. There's so much to see and do, all the time in the world and more than enough jetpacks! As always, Barry Steakfries will provide!
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO PARENTS
This game may contain:
- The ability to purchase optional content using real money. You can disable in-app purchases in the settings menu of your device.
- Promotional material for Halfbrick products and trusted business partners.
- Links to external social networking sites intended for users over the age of 13.
- Direct links to the internet which may open the default web browser on your device.
Terms of Service: http://www.halfbrick.com/tos
What's New in Version 1.9.5Hey, Joyriders! We’re back with another update to satisfy your appetites. Dig in!
* Stuck on a mission? Skip that sucker from the pause menu for just 500 coins per star!
* New to the game? We’re giving you the red carpet treatment with an awesome new Starter Pack. Have at it!
* Lots of small bug fixes and general improvements to the core gameplay experience.
As always, please keep your reviews and feedback coming. We love hearing from you!