Bridge Constructor Review
- Publisher: Headup Games GmbH & Co KG
- Genre: Entertainment
- Released: 23 May, 2012
- Size: 52.1 MB
- Price: $1.99
- Unique and challenging engineering scenarios.
- Unlocking a material does not mean it's always available; players limited to what they're given.
- 'Easy' and 'Hard' completions for those who like to fine-tune their designs.
- Able to save multiple designs for prototyping.
- Fiddly controls; too easy to slip past an anchor point - an odd design flaw considering you can't 'join' at mid-points.
- Needlessly frustrating UI; unable to drag anchors to mass reposition / can't tell what material you have until you build with or open the menu / pinch controls fail to register at times (obv. why the buttons to zoom have been added).
The frustration generated by Bridge Constructor is equal parts poor interface design and clever puzzle design; the two may fight against each other, but if you like your puzzles keeping within spitting distance of 'reality', this will satisfy.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
When approaching a genre that is already quite niche and well represented by a few shining titles, it behooves a new entry to bring something new to the table. Bridge Constructor by Headup Games makes its mark by challenging players to make bridges that occasionally feel less than intuitive despite the generally realistic physics applied to them.
The first major challenge you'll have to overcome is in the actual construction of the bridges themselves, with anchor points being the only place at which a new material can be joined to a structure. Along with strict length restrictions and cost limits, many creative truss solutions are off the table.
With that said, your ultimate aim is to help a pair of cars (or for those going for more points, a pair of trucks) to pass over your bridge intact in one direction. As such the player is afforded the luxury of unrealistic asymmetrical designs that almost cheat their way past the physics which are rendered clearly by each beam and cable straining through green to red before failing catastrophically.
Over the course of 30 levels you'll use wood, steel, cable and concrete in an effort to cross the many crazy spans of the island's five distinct regions. Unrealistic or not, the player is challenged to think outside the box on many occasions, so prepare to be either stumped or willing to try outlandish ideas to continue playing.
Bridge Constructor is an odd puzzler, pairing distinctly different ideologies together to create something that remains relatively fair in its challenge.
Description+++ Now over 30 million players worldwide +++
+++ Latest free update with new island, new levels and Santa´s sleigh +++
+++ Number 1 in the games charts for iPad & iPhone in 33 countries +++
+++ SlopeMania add-on with 24 brand new levels and sloping roads +++
Santa is coming! That means presents for everyone - and of course Santa's Sleigh! This big, free Christmas update introduces the brand new Winter World with new levels and brain teasing new bridges to build. Only available until springtime!
Now Available: SlopeMania!
In the SlopeMania add-on you find yourself on the Tiltin Islands, home to three brand new islands where you'll even be building your bridges inside colorful grottoes! The 24 tricky, never-before-seen levels will have you using sloping lanes to overcome the massive height differences. The "Crazy Levels" are the real brainteasers and require out-of-the-box thinking and unusual solutions.
SlopeMania is now available as a low-price In-App Purchase!
In Bridge Constructor you have to prove yourself as an accomplished master bridge builder. Play 40 different levels, and build bridges over deep valleys, canals, and rivers. Stress tests reveal whether the bridge you build can withstand the daily stress of continual use from cars, trucks and, more recently, super-heavy tank trucks.
You can choose between a range of materials for each individual bridge, such as wood, steel, cables, or concrete pillars. Use the appropriate materials and stay within budget to build the perfect bridge. The choice of different materials means that there are numerous solutions and approaches and you can build each bridge in any number of ways – your budget is the only limit. The refined grid system allows you to realize your idea of the perfect bridge with even more precision. Let your imagination and creativity run free! And if you happen to run into a dead end, you can pick up valuable tips from the brand new help system!
• 40 Levels on the island nation of Camatuga
• Free build mode and help system
• 5 Settings: city, canyon, beach, mountains, hills
• Improved grid system
• Map with unlocked worlds/levels
• 4 different building materials: wood, steel, cables, concrete pillars
• Color coded load indicator for different building materials
• Three different load bearing levels: car, truck and tank truck
• High score per level
• Facebook connection (upload screenshots and bridge scores)
FEATURES SlopeMania Add-On
• Completely new Tiltin Islands
• Option to build sloping roads – even for Camatuga
• Additional "Grotto" setting
• 24 "sloping" levels inc. especially tricky "Crazy Levels"