Extinction Squad Review
- Amusing theme with detailed visuals to match.
- Simple touch-and-swipe arcade gameplay with generous difficulty scaling.
- Currency provided with relative generosity; some luck required, but hard work pays off.
- Slow to reveal new content/features; reduces appeal of unlocking new levels.
- Unnecessarily pushes the IAP.
Extinction Squad will have you dashing out to wade out in to the gore in your best mountain-hiking boots in order to save the animals too stupid to save themselves.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Thanks to globe-trotting adventurer Chuck Darwin the dodo is no longer extinct and has once again populated the world. Unfortunately, other animals aren't so happy about this and take to ending their lives by jumping off cliffs. Chuck will have none of this and with the help of a trampoline team you'll bounce them to safety.
Whether you play in Adventure or Count Down mode, there's a cycle of gameplay you'll have to master in order to start scoring it big. First comes the slew of creatures diving off cliffs at various heights and the occasional sky-diving creature too; after bouncing as many of them to safety you'll be subjected to a barrage of bombs and a bonus or two including power-ups; rinse and repeat with overlaps.
This wouldn't be Adult Swim without a twist though and while Chuck may want to save the animals, they're not as critical as you'd like to think, with creatures regularly face-planting the dirt and creating an ugly red smear on the ground. Aside from delaying reaching your target (or in the case of Count Down, potentially missing the target amount needed to continue), you're not penalized for these deaths, so let the bodies hit the floor if it means you'll survive another day.
Extra levels, up to a total of six currently available, can be purchased with coins. These may seem in short supply at first but as you unlock new bonus-rounds for the end of each stage and earn 'Wild Tokens' to spend on the bonus Wild Wheel, you'll quickly find yourself drowning in coins. This is good because there are permanent upgrades to purchase as well, helping you to achieve various missions set before each run to earn even more coins.
Extinction Squad isn't 'good, clean fun', but it is 'bloody, dirty fun' and with PikPok at the helm its presentation is top-notch as well, featuring plenty of amusing expressions and sound-effects to keep you smiling.
If you need a new time waster, this is a definite keeper.
Description** FEATURED iPHONE GAME AND iPAD GAME OF THE WEEK (05/17/12) **
"This game is over-the-top in all the best ways." -Touch Arcade
"Simple, hectic, and funny." -Slide to Play
Join daredevil scientist Chuck Darwin's elite team of zoological defenders and embark on a globe-trotting adventure to rescue endangered animals from extinction. Dodos, gorillas, pandas, lions and more are GOING TO DIE unless you catch them with your official Extinction Squad trampoline and bounce them to safety. Miss and they will be nothing but bloody smears on the ground...and footnotes in the natural history books.
Simple one-touch control means you'll be saving the species in no time. Travel the world across six continents and two game modes to unlock additional animals. Collect or buy upgrades to make your missions easier. Plus, try your luck with Chuck and take a spin on the Wild Wheel.
From Adult Swim Games and PikPok, who brought you the likes of “Robot Unicorn Attack” and “Monsters Ate My Condo”.
** TWO EPIC GAME MODES **
Adventure - Travel to Africa, Australia, Asia, Antarctica, America and the Amazon saving ever-larger populations of animals on the brink of extinction.
Countdown - Save enough animals within the time limit and reach the checkpoint to extend your game. But as time ticks down, you’ll be expected to save more and more of the animal kingdom.
Don't be a dodo! Make the natural selection and join Chuck Darwin's Extinction Squad today! Here's what players are saying:
"I've yet to encounter a developer on the App Store who gets humor the way [adult swim] does." -Gamezebo
"If you need a new time waster, this is a definite keeper." -AppSpy
"Probably one of the funniest games I have played on an iPhone." -The Smartphone App Review
"Intelligently designed, highly polished and, most importantly, a lot of fun." -Modojo
"This iOS game focuses on the preservation of endangered animals in the most ludicrous and ineffective way possible." -Game Informer
"Charmingly goofy, with extremely detailed animation." -148Apps
"Worth every cent." -AppCroc
"A must-buy that is overflowing with action, enjoyment, and personality." -Apple 'n' Apps
** PRODUCT DETAILS **
• Universal App for iPhone and iPad
• Simple swipe controls guide your explorers’ trampoline
• Eye-popping retina graphics on supported devices
• Two modes of play: Adventure and Countdown
• Compete against the world (and your friends) on Game Center leaderboard
• Earn coins to upgrade your equipment and survive longer
• Travel to Africa, Australia, Asia, Antarctica, America and the Amazon
• Spin the Wild Wheel for bonus power-ups, coins, and more
• How many animals have YOU saved today?
Compatible with devices 3GS and above
What's New in Version 1.0.7Bug fixes and balancing!
• Streak value is now applied correctly at the end of a level in Adventure mode
• 2X points multiplier Wild Wheel reward is now functioning correctly
• "Stuck" microgoals fixed
• ‘Purchase upgrade’ microgoal fixed to include any item purchased.
• Item popups now will only appear for items the player hasn’t purchased. (Pop-ups for consumables will still appear.)