Men in Black 3 Review
- Combat mechanic adds some sense of progress; provides a real goal to over come at times.
- Items give you more to work towards; similarly, playing with friends adds more of a time-sink.
- Throw-away concept and gameplay; combat hints at more depth, but never elaborated upon.
- Usual nudging towards IAP via poorly scaled time and gold costs.
Men in Black 3 gives fans a chance to play out a shallow and confused role in the agency, ultimately providing another basic freemium management title with a slick skin.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Let it not be said that all 'freemium' titles are bad - sure they have their huge flaws, but time enjoyed is time well spent. With that said, time wasted is time not enjoyed and definitely not well spent and this is where the genre comes in to contention: If you lack the motivation, then what are you playing for? Men in Black 3 slides uncomfortably in to this second problematic kind of thinking, albeit presenting all the visual polish and flair Gameloft can muster, but it's not enough to mask a game that lacks any meaningful progression.
You come in to the agency as a rookie and are - strangely - dumped in to the overwhelmingly powerful position of cleaning up and expanding the facilities while also saving the Earth from a menacing threat. "But," you may ask, "how can I simultaneously save the planet from a real and immediate threat while also waiting 24 hours for my facilities to earn cash to get that new weapon I need?".
And there's the crux of it: Your motivation from the outset is not to save the world, but to build a base. Be it a new flower stand, a tacky souvenir shop, or a snazzy host of "RnD" divisions, the game is about amassing gold over time and promptly sinking it in to more buildings or items to repeat the whole mess.
On the plus side, there is a mission system and the ability to recruit agents to perform minor tasks for you, but everything you do has a price paid in energy, which takes time to regenerate as well or if you're flush with cash, a quick trip to the IAP store to refresh or side-step with 'T-Pulse's.
Gorgeous though the art and style may be, it's merely a skin-deep veneer over the same game you've seen played out too many times already. Sure there's combat, but it's just as shallow as you tap enemies without thinking.
Men in Black 3 is a tidy example of why fans of a franchise and gamers in general cringe at the sight of tie-ins; despite the wealth of ideas to exploit in the MiB world it's lumped with a throw-away concept that asks nothing of the player and returns much the same in kind.
DescriptionThe official game of 2012’s exciting action blockbuster, Men in Black 3, is now available!
We are the best-kept secret in the universe. We are Earth’s best, last, and only line of defense. We are above the system. Over it. Beyond it. We are "them." We are "they." We are the Men in Black.
Agent, humanity is in danger! The vile Radiant has arrived on Earth and he must be stopped now.
For the first time ever, you will be in charge of the MIB agency, but don’t worry, Agent O, Agent K and Frank will help you to run the agency and fight against this new threat to mankind.
CREATE AND MANAGE YOUR OWN MIB AGENCY
• Train your agents and assign them to missions
• Access a wide range of MIB weapons and gadgets like the Neuralyzer, the Deatomizer, and the infamous Noisy Cricket.
• Build dozens of different rooms to upgrade your weapons and develop your agency.
TAKE DOWN ENEMIES IN 1969 & 2012 NEW YORK
• Travel in time to fight aliens in different areas of New York including Brooklyn, Times Square, and Central Park
• Utilize your agent’s futuristic weapons and equipment
• Meet dozens of aliens faithfully inspired by the Men in Black universe
ASK YOUR FRIENDS TO JOIN THE AGENCY
• Invite your friends from Gameloft LIVE! & Facebook to play
• Ask for your friends’ help during fights to defeat powerful aliens
• Visit your friends’ headquarter and get rewarded for lending a hand
MEN IN BLACK™ 3, in theaters May 25th, 2012. In Men in Black 3, Agents J and K are back... in time. J has seen some inexplicable things in his 15 years with the Men in Black, but nothing, not even aliens, perplexes him as much as his wry, reticent partner. But when K's life and the fate of the planet are at stake, Agent J will have to travel back in time to put things right. J discovers that there are secrets to the universe that K never told him -- secrets that will reveal themselves as he teams up with the young Agent K to save his partner, the agency, and the future of humankind.
Visit our official site at http://www.gameloft.com
Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/gameloft or like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/gameloft to get more info about all our upcoming titles.
Check out our videos and game trailers on www.youtube.com/gameloft.
Discover our blog at http://blog.gameloft.com/ for the inside scoop on everything Gameloft.
What's New in Version 1.0.3o 3 new high-level quests
o Energy removed
o Redirection improved
o Bug fixes