Tower of Fortune Review
- Clever use of LCD-like aesthetics; varied and distinct progressive sprites for random enemies.
- Addictive RPG adaption of slot-machine gameplay; luck-based, but entirely within your control over time.
- RNG can be frustrating and time-consuming; turns a small break in to a moment of annoyance.
Tower of Fortune's strength is in its addictive use of the infamously random slot-machine, while still providing players with the ability to overcome these odds through the use of items purchased with gold you've accumulated over time; it's a thin line to balance, but a fun one too.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
[This game was featured as the Mini-review for the Friday News Wrap-Up for the 18th of May, 2012]
If there's one inevitable fact a gamer has to face up to when playing a dungeon-crawling RPG, it's that they'll eventually have to deal with the dreaded 'RNG' monster. For those not familiar with it, 'RNG' stands for 'Random Number Generator' and refers to the luck required to survive some encounters; to get certain items to drop; and so on.
Tower of Fortune by Game Stew is bold in its use of a slot-machine system to determine how an encounter plays out, stripping away the need to roam dungeons and placing you in direct combat with random enemies on each tier of the tower. The 'luck' isn't entirely out of your hands though as money earned from previous attempts remains in your pocket, giving you the option to purchase items for better survivability and gambling on better stats when you level up.
The game's retro LCD style of presentation is almost quaint, especially when paired with the decidedly more modern sound effects and music tracks that punctuate various events.
For some, the open use of random outcomes may be a turn off, but much like a slot-machine it's a hard game to put down once you've mastered its secrets. A real treat if you enjoy simple distractions.
Description===== Tower of Fortune is being chosen one of the "Best iPhone and iPad Games of 2012: Arcade" by Toucharcade =====
- A surprise gem of RPG - by Missattha
- Excellent Slot/RPG game with unique art and addicting gameplay - by BazookaTime
- Fun, Addictive and stylish - by Anne Packrat
- Classic retro game - by Shaolean
- Terrific RPG hybrid - by Retr0spective
- Amazingly addictive - by Won'tgetfooledagainson
- Old school with a twist - by Ricepirate Mick Lauer
- I'm hooked - by Monster Party
- Deeply engrossing game - by David Magallon
- Highly enjoyable - by Pyong
- A Reel Good Time For RPG Fans - by Toucharcade, 4/5
- ... it's a hard game to put down once you've mastered its secrets - by AppSpy, 4/5
- ... it's just really freaking addicting and clever - by 148Apps, 4/5
Appstore Customer Ratings
Average rating for all versions: 4.5/5
Tower of Fortune is a retro-style slot machine/RPG. You play as a retired hero and lived with daughter peacefully. Until one day, an unknown power from the mystic tower took her away. This force the hero to draw the sword again and fight for his daughter.
- One button gameplay, easy to learn and no tutorial needed
- Retro pixel graphics and funny animation
- RPG mechanics such as combat, powerful equipment from defeated boss, level up and skill upgrade system, hero transform and much more...
- 4 slot machine game: Combat in the tower, Treasure in the chest, Fight the scum family, and Rest in the tavern
- Customize your camp with various options such as dungeon scene, cauldron and mystic pet
- 39 kind of enemies want to stop you to find the truth
- 37 powerful equipment from the ancient god to collect
- 39 random combat quest and 12 random tavern quest to challenge
- 3 different game ending to discover in first character's storyline
- Support video recording and sharing tool "Kamcord"
- Endless spin and fun!
What's New in Version 1.15- HD graphic support
- Minor bugs fixed