Heroes of Order & Chaos - Multiplayer Online Game Review
- Multiple forms of controls smoothly merged together; hard to feel lost as you swipe or tap your way around the screen.
- Simplified mechanics; easier for newcomers to learn, but still retains advanced skills such as last-hitting, orb-walking etc. for veterans to show their prowess.
- Match length not balanced to suit portable gaming; with 3G being an option for connectivity, this feels like a terrible oversight.
- Connectivity in general is broken; reloading the application can leave the game unsure of what to do - reconnecting isn't much better.
Until the connectivity issues are worked out we can't possibly recommend Heroes of Order & Chaos as a multiplayer game - its 'vs AI' mode will at least keep you entertained for a while (if you can manage to load it up).
- Full Review
- App Store Info
For those that enjoy MOBAs (Multiplayer Online Battle Arenas), the idea of being able to play a portable version of a game they may have loved for years is something equally beautiful and terrible to think about.
On one hand the sheer complexity inherent in a genre with such a diverse amount of heroes and items (and the combinations there of) can be mind-boggling; a truly difficult thing to replicate on a touch-based mobile gaming device. On the other hand, Action-RPGs have proven they can work, so it's not a large leap to something like a MOBA - playing while on the go could be the perfect way for genre addicts to get their fix during the day.
Heroes of Order & Chaos by Gameloft holds so much potential in its beautifully executed game, stripping back DOTA (Day of the Ancients) to something manageable on either iPhone or iPad devices, but connectivity woes and a refusal to balance the game towards shorter matches makes it a hard game to love.
In the ordinary course of a match you'll find yourself on a map with 2 to 4 other team mates, versing an equal number of foes while wielding the magical powers of one of several heroes. The roles are diverse, ranging from tanky individuals, to mages; fighters; and even support characters that can control the ebb and flow of battle.
Their skills are diverse and manipulating heroes couldn't be easier as the game accepts a multitude of inputs. You can easily make use of a virtual stick and buttons, switching targets slowly at the tap of a button, or you can simply tap the screen, moving to the spot dictated or targeting enemies with your skills.
Of course all of this comes with a high learning curve - with so many champions, each with four skills (or so), and a mind-blowing amount of items to equip them with, you'd be forgiven for thinking it's all too much. Thankfully you can test your skills versus AI controlled opponents, though their simplicity will give you a false sense of security when you come to verse human opponents.
Unfortunately reaching that stage is harder said than done. Matchmaking spends most of its time either being broken or sitting there doing nothing, which is a shame as you'll need arranged matches to earn experience and in-game currency to spend on unlocking more champions. More importantly, it cuts the game off at the knees, with frustrated players refusing to wait around for matches that already take upwards of 30 minutes to complete.
It's a critical misstep on Gameloft's part and one that hopefully doesn't kill the title as it is a truly exciting experience once you do end up in a match. Given that the game is free and AI opponents are available, there's no reason not to try it out for yourself, but if online play isn't smoothed out soon it's going to be yet another multiplayer ghost town.
DescriptionTeam up and fight alongside friends in the best Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA)! Plan your strategy, strengthen your Heroes and wipe out the enemy base in thrilling, fast-paced, real-time battles.
For centuries, Sinskaald Rift, a mysterious region of Haradon, has been the battleground of immortal warriors known as the Heroes of Order & Chaos. Now it’s your turn to join their honored ranks as the most powerful champions in the realm!
» AN EXCEPTIONALLY RICH AND ADDICTIVE GAME «
• Choose from over 45 unique and varied Heroes, from melee bruisers to devastating wizards
• Play for free with an ever-changing roster of amazing Heroes
• Develop your skills and upgrade equipment to overpower your foes and win victory for your team!
• Real-time action: Scout out the map and lure opponents into an ambush in the fog of war
» AN IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE WITH FRIENDS OR ON YOUR OWN «
• Fight solo or in multiplayer mode on three distinct maps (3v3, 5v5, and Steampunk 5v5)
• Blends cooperation with buddies and competition against enemies for an addictive experience
• Develop teamwork and cunning strategies to rule the world of Haradon
Visit our official site at http://www.gameloft.com.
Follow us on Twitter at http://glft.co/GameloftonTwitter or like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Gameloft to get more info about all our upcoming titles.
Check out our videos and game trailers at http://www.youtube.com/Gameloft.
Discover our blog at http://glft.co/Gameloft_Official_Blog for the inside scoop on everything Gameloft.
This app allows you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third-party advertisements that may redirect you to a third-party site.
What's New in Version 1.8.0What's New in Version 1.8.0
• Two new Heroes:
» Kurzdor, Dark Diviner – Mage
- Born of an ancient race that worships plague and disease, Kurzdor has risen to the most honored position in his horde -- the Dark Diviner. Keeper of the Plague Doll, which contains the essence of a demon who feeds on the suffering brought by plagues, Kurzdor seeks to spread his disease throughout Haradon.
» Equellia, Storm Celestial – Mage
- In the time before time, Equellia and Archimtiros were inseparable lovers. However, Archimtiros was banished from heaven for crimes he did not commit and stripped of his immortality. Now Equellia fights to avenge her love, raging like the very storm and lightning she controls.
• The Hero Collection Book is online. Check out all the Heroes and Skins you’ve unlocked!
• Exclude & Pick rules for League PVP games bring more balance and challenge. Figure out your opponent’s strategy and plan your own counter!
• New Lottery Rewards: Collect Hero and Skin Fragments or Invoking Essence to unlock the Heroes and Skins, including legendary limited-time ones!
• 2-Year Anniversary and Xmas Events: Endless surprises with new items, rewards, and limited-time events
• A new UI is coming with more content and an easier menu system
• Improved iOS 8 support
• Gameplay balance adjusted based on the feedback of players