Project 83113 Review
- Relatively intuitive swipe controls; risky for such a skill-based platformer.
- Bursting with color and explosions; even despite its 'robotic' theme.
- Five different weapons to upgrade; each one has its strengths depending on the level.
- Robot side-missions lack challenge and depth; more of a time-wasting distraction.
- No alternative control scheme; swiping is fun, but not the best way to deal with baddies.
- Glitchy detection for landing on platform edges.
Project 83113 is an adorably action-packed platformer that attempts to do away with the standard controls and almost succeeds in doing so, but by the same token it also doesn't overstay its welcome, so you'll only be frustrated a handful of times.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
While we most often associate the 'bullet-hell' moniker with shoot'em-ups, platformers have had more than their share of crazy screen-exploding weapons being discharged at the player. When a main character has four arms and nearly infinite ammunition, you can bet things are about to get crazy and Project 83113 by Fabrication Games and NCsoft manages to deliver.
You play as 'Belle', the great hope of the 'organics' in their fight against the 'machines'. Simply put, your job is to blow everything up and with any luck, save your race of cute furry creatures.
At first the game plays much like an auto-runner with swipe controls. Firing is handled automatically, but special power-shots can also be used by tapping on an enemy. This will deplete some of your 'energy' - a resource that also represents your health - and each of the unlockable and upgradeable weapons in the game feature a unique devastating attack to unleash on your foes.
As you progress through the game's strangely colorful industrial levels you'll slowly unlock more of Belle's acrobatic repertoire, filling in the blanks that are (initially speaking) obviously and painfully lacking in depth. Double-jumps, horizontal and diving dashes, slides, and hovering give the player a lot of freedom when it comes to maneuvering around a level - something you'll appreciate once large packs of enemies attack you all at once while you need to navigate small, crumbling platforms.
Sadly the system is far from perfect and it's all too easy to forget you can turn around, or hover, or even stop if you need to, making some of the more complex sections of the game frustrating to complete. More-so should you attempt to earn the 'hero' badge for taking no damage. As great as the swipe controls are, some sort of alternative would have been appreciated for a platformer such as this.
Still, whether you're blasting your way past giant lasers, death-orbs and robot-dragons or sneaking past security cameras, Project 83113 remains energetic and intriguing to the end. Whether or not you come back for its harder achievements will rely more on how adept you become at its otherwise intuitive control scheme.
Description★★★ Featured on iTunes as what's SIZZLIN HOT! So hot, we're going FREE for a LIMITED TIME ONLY! ★★★
The ultimate battle has begun. Special unit 83113 (Belle) evolved for one purpose: bring an end to the reign of the machine.
"Fabrication Games and NCSoft have created something impressive here, something that would feel at home on any platform but plays beautifully on iOS. It's sexy, fast-paced fun." – Touch Arcade
"Within moments I was totally floored by Project 83113’s mechanics, action, and style." - 148 Apps, Editor's Choice Selection
"...a running platformer with style worth every penny" - GamerChica
Selected as This Week's MUST HAVE title by Cult of Mac, TechGadget, Appolicious, and more!
Project 83113 is an action-packed platformer title with intuitive swipe control and stunning graphics. Jump, slide, and blaze through mind-numbingly thrilling stages, as you take control over mankind’s last hope, Belle. Blast your way to the very core of Machine’s safe haven, Ground Zero, where the ultimate battle of Man vs. Machine takes place.
※ Survival Guide: Special Unit 83113
1. Gently tap on enemies to make Belle use deadly yet dazzling blast attacks.
2. Find hidden collectibles to unlock the well-kept secrets of Project 83113, including the ultimate weapon that could put an end to the reign of Machine.
3. Collect crystals to upgrade your basic weapons into fatal ammunition.
- Intuitive and simple swipe controls for a variety of complex movements
- 4 action-packed worlds with state of the art visual effects
- Plenty of weapons to upgrade and choose from
Find out more: http://www.wemogames.net
Like us? Love us!: http://facebook.com/wemogames
Follow us: http://twitter.com/wemogames