The Bowling Dead Review
- Publisher: Activision Publishing, Inc.
- Genre: Entertainment
- Released: 29 Nov, 2012
- Size: 129.4 MB
- Price: FREE!
- Perfect blend of arcade sensibilities; easy to pick up, but challenging to master.
- Fun power-up combinations.
- Voiced interludes add a feeling of progression; silly though it may be, this does count for a lot.
- Progression considerably outpaces the gold you earn; hands you the ultimatum of replay and grind or cough up the cash.
- Quirky controls occasionally fail to register the flicks you input.
Sure it's zombies, but you'll forgive me for letting that point slide when the gameplay has such an incredible zen-like approach - swing away at the undead, or let them dance the night away; either way you get the last laugh.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
[This title is featured as the Mini-Review for the Friday News Wrap-Up for the 30th of November, 2012]
It's a thin premise, but The Bowling Dead by Slant Six Games and Activision places you in the unusual position of a zombie apocalypse survivor who discovers a bowling ball that seems to be the only thing that can stop them.
Obviously the first part isn't new, but the second part results in a strangely addictive title. It's a sort of mash up between Full Fat's Zombie Flick and a basic arcade Ski-ball simulator.
Players are assaulted from multiple directions by various zombies of differing shape, size and speed, and with the flick of a finger you can send a powered up bowling ball (in basic or souped-up power-up versions) in order to crush them. If one should reach you then you'll need to beat them off with a fist, knife, or anything else you have equipped. Fail too many times and it's game over - no gold earned.
Being a free title the currency is doled out sparsely, though not sparsely enough to make things unbearable. New items and abilities are unlocked regularly, giving you something to work towards to increase your zombie-killing potential.
For a game with no initial investment, The Bowling Dead makes for a fun, tongue-in-cheek distraction, partly thanks to its gameplay and partly thanks to its dedication to its thin premise via voice-acted interludes.
A polished pick for those who don't like to part with money easily.
Description“A slick and original zombie game” Modojo
“The Bowling Dead is an idea that gets a thumbs-up from me. Line ‘em up and knock ‘em down.” IGN
“The gameplay has such an incredible zen-like approach - swing away at the undead, or let them dance the night away; either way you get the last laugh” App Spy.com
In a world overrun by an undead horde, one man stands in the way of the complete annihilation of the human race. One man…and his balls.
Slant Six Games presents The Bowling Dead™, an easy to play, super fun bowling game with a Zombie twist! Hours and hours of enjoyable gameplay defeating wave after wave of Zombies with your weaponized bowling balls. Score extra points by bowling a Zombie Turkey and get your Zombies to dance under the shining disco bowling ball!
* FREE TO PLAY
* 3D + HD Zombie Bowling Action with state-of-the-art environments and characters
* Over 40 stages of Zombie battles in the Campaign Mode with more to come
* Unlimited Survival Mode – how long can you last the Zombie attacks coming from 360 degree angles? Beat your own and your friends’ scores!
* Unlock a huge arsenal of fun, weapons and unique bowling balls used to kill the Zombies
* Arm yourself for intense Zombie Brawling with your favorite weapon from a Unicorn Sword to a Chainsaw
* Fight the epic Zombie bosses ranging from Cheerleaders and Clown Zombies to exploding Toxic Zombies
* Adjust the power and spin of your shot with one easy swipe using real world bowling mechanics
* Discover the characters of Jimmy Skidmore, Dr. Krauss and the intriguing story of the Zombie outbreak and the Government’s secret weapons program: S.M.A.S.H.
* Bonus and random Zombie Facts
* Zombies! Lots of Zombies!
iPod Touch performance recommendation: For best results please run on an iPod Touch Generation 5 or later
Chat with the Slant Six Games development team and check for contests & challenges here:
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/thebowlingdead
Follow us on Twitter - www.twitter.com/TheBowlingDead
What's New in Version 1.2.3★ CRITICAL FIX! Fixed issue that corrupted game saves when launching v1.2.2. Contact us at [email protected] if you require further help.
★ FREE SMASH! You can now get Free SMASH, simply by sharing our app on Facebook.
★ IMPROVED STAGES! We’ve listened to your feedback and improved certain stages, keep it coming!
★ CLOUD SAVES! Log into Game Center on your device and your save game will be uploaded to our servers so you can carry it over to a new device.
★ CHEAPER UPGRADES! You can now get more upgrades for less SMASH at the start of the game.
★ STAY UPDATED! Big changes are afoot. Stay in the know!