Chasing Yello Review
- Surprising amount of unique river configurations; keeps the novelty high despite lots of repeated elements.
- Just the right dash of old-school cartoon design; makes the schadenfreude easier to swallow.
- Slow progression; missions and items always feel just out of reach.
Chasing Yello makes for a decent distraction, however it's hard to get any momentum, making that much easier to put down when the next auto-runner comes along.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Do you remember that horrific animal-destroying child from Pixar's Finding Nemo? Now imagine you're a fish living in the home of a similar child and you're presented with one opportunity for escape - the river just outside your window. Would you take it? Even if you knew there was a slim chance of survival? Is the risk worth it for freedom? Philosophy aside, you can help Yello in his attempt to escape the clutches of a crazy young-girl by dashing along a twisting and dangerous river-rapid.
Chasing Yello is ostensibly a coin-grabbing score-hunting 'endless' auto-runner that distinguishes itself from similar titles like Temple Run by sticking to the vertical movement, adding in-lieu of direction changes, a variety of multiple paths that can reward or punish you depending on your quick thinking and reactions.
Swiping will make Yello jump or dive accordingly, with tilting moving the feisty fish from side-to-side. Coins can be located on, above or below the water surface, so you'll have to balance collecting as many as possible (along with bonuses for combos) with staying alive.
It's a delightful experience too, filled with bright and colorful designs, while the expressions of terror on Yello's face provide a lot of motivation when it comes to avoiding his final fate.
Where Chasing Yello stumbles is in its sense of progression, making subsequent purchases to upgrade power-ups or give players a second-chance very pricey, while its challenges remain fairly tight-fisted when it come to rewards, so you're stuck grinding game after game to eke out better scores.
If nothing else, Chasing Yello isn't lacking for challenge or variety in the way it presents its hazards, making it an easy game to keep coming back to. Unfortunately without a sense of momentum in your progression this can become tiresome and with any luck updates will address this issue.
DescriptionMORE THAN 10 MILLION PEOPLE ADDICTED TO CHASING YELLO CAN'T BE WRONG!
THANKS TO ALL YELLO FANS OUT THERE MAKING CHASING YELLO THE #1 GAME IN 35 COUNTRIES AND TOP 10 OVERALL APP IN MORE THAN 80 COUNTRIES - YOU'RE REALLY AWESOME!
"This game is lots of fun and a sure winner for fans of the endless runner genre." - AppAdvice
"On the surface, what ensues is essentially Temple Run meets Jetpack Joyride...great mixture of tilt controls, swipe controls and level design to make things feel tight and challenging, not gimmicky." - Gamezebo
"It's competent, funny, and cute...it's a blast." - Touch Arcade
Take an Adventurous swim in the raging river as the Chase continues!
7-year-old Mathilda lets her helpless goldfish, Yello, taste freedom in the local wild creek. Help Yello to escape Mathilda and navigate the poor fish through a rough adventure in the dangerous river filled with rocks, burning logs and piranhas!
Will Yello escape, fall victim to the hazardous environment, to Mathilda’s fish net??
Action packed Endless Runner:
√ Steer clear of tons of dangerous hazards by simply tilting to move, swipe up to jump and down to dive
√ Lots of awesome power ups, including shield, magnet, rocket and super star
√ Collect stars and buy better power ups
√ Awesome cartoon animations!
√ Game Center leaderboards and goal system
√ Show off your score on Twitter and Facebook
More games from dreamfab:
“Tons of kooky charm.” – Slide to Play
THE LOST SHAPES
“An ideal casual delight.” – 148Apps
“Sure to create a lot of happy faces.” – 148Apps
“Smashing up cities and making mayhem is great fun!” – Touch Arcade
What's New in Version 1.3.1If you like Chasing Yello, please rate it 5 stars on iTunes after every update!
WHAT’S NEW IN VERSION 1.3.1:
- Experience Yello with Friends!
- Powered by nextpeer, you can challenge your Facebook friends to a race and see who is the master of the water.
- Play in a multiplayer tournament with other fans of Chasing Yello!
- Fixed minor bugs and included additional tweaks.
WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 1.2.3:
- The overall performance has been slightly improved
- Some minor issues have been fixed.
WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 1.2.2:
- The Xmas theme for the challenges has been replaced with the winter theme.
- The issue in challenge 19 has been fixed.
WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 1.2.1:
- Fixed bug that rewarded players the wrong number of stars when watching a video.
- Fixed issue that allowed locked Xmas Challenges to be played to early.
- The winter theme will no longer be unintentionally activated after playing a Xmas challenge.
- Fixed issue with star rewards after playing a Xmas challenge.
- We are aware of the issue with Challenge 19 and will be patching it soon!
WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 1.2:
- New challenge game mode that includes 25 new levels!
- Experience a Yello Advent with 25 Xmas Challenges, with a new one unlocking each day until the 25th of December!
- Yello, Pinky and Mathilda have “decked the halls” with all new Holiday graphics and soundtrack!
- New shop items and lots of presents!
- We also fixed the graphic glitch, when getting daily rewards after unlocking the Autumn theme
- Various other tweaks and fixes
WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 1.1:
- Helping Yello escape from Mathilda daily, will now net you a nice reward
- New playable character: Help Yello's cute friend Pinky escape a dire fate in Mathilda's bowl!
- Enjoy the all new Winter and Autumn themes. Each with a new soundtrack!
- Decorate your iPhone or iPad with cute Yello Wallpapers
- Mathilda teases you to achieve even greater feats with new lines
- New special reward when you reach the top rank!
- Chasing Yello now supports iOS6 and the iPhone5
- We fixed various bugs and crashes that some users were experiencing