Tobe & Friends Hookshot Escape Review
- Multiple characters with unique control and combo systems.
- Plenty of unlockable bonuses tied to achievements.
- Tiny control interface in the vertical orientation; fingers also overlap the action if the player is too low on the screen.
Whether you've played a Tobe title before or not, Hookshot Escape is a great time-waster that knows that variety is the spice of life; a real challenge that constantly rewards the player for their progress.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
The name 'Tobe & Friends Hookshot Escape' may ring some bells for those of you who frequent the XBLA or Steam platforms looking for new and interesting Indie titles. For a while now, Secret Base, the developers behind the Tobe series have been placing the titular Tobe in to a series of varied platforming titles, ranging from a basic explore and conquer to an endless runner. Their latest title for the iOS adapts a game already available on their website and mixes things up by adding more depth and challenge to its already addictive gameplay.
Ultimately, Hookshot Escape is a vertical endless title, albeit with a unique system of using a hookshot to latch on to and propel the main character ever-upwards. A combo is awarded if you can chain together a series of grabs, though leniency is given if you happen to bounce on an object first (be it an enemy, chest full of coins or a temporary bubble platform).
This is no easy task, however, as Tobe sports a woeful jumping ability and the hookshot in question has a very short range - many of your first attempts will be cut short as you attempt to find the right spot that allows you to jump and hook with success. Once you've come to terms with this distance you'll be flinging your way up with almost a carefree abandon and it's here you'll meet even more challenges, be it enemies blocking your path, large gaps or moving / crumbling platforms. Break beyond this barrier once again and you'll start unlocking objects to customize your character and one of three alternate characters to play with.
Interestingly, this is where the game really opens up as each character sports their own unique way to make their way up the screen. While the hookshot is Tobe's preferred method, one unlockable character sports a double-jump and a hammer to break through blocks ala the NES classic, Ice Climbers. Just when you think you can't be bothered spending more time trying to beat your record, you're rewarded with something new, sucking you right back in.
Of course there are the obligatory In-App Purchases to make progression smoother, but aside from the controls being a bit cramped in the vertical orientation, Hookshot Escape is a perfect way to waste your time while challenging your platforming prowess.
Description*** GAME REVIEWS ***
- Rated "New and Noteworthy"!
- Metacritic 80 / 100
- Touch Arcade 4/5 : Sucks you in in all the right way!
- Crazy Mike App 4.5/5 : A blast to play!
- App Tubes 4.5/5 : Any fan of platforming action will enjoy.
***JOIN TOBE & FRIENDS IN THEIR DARING ESCAPE!***
A spin off of the original Tobe's Vertical Adventure released last year on Steam, Tobe is back with more friends, more fun and more action!
Trapped in the crumbling cave, Tobe and friends have to try their best to survive this endless escape with their own unique abilty, while trying their best to unlock the many treasures the adventure has to offer. Tobe & Friends Hookshot Escape is a retro endless platformer, a return to arcade high score maddness and a love letter to our childhood. Join Tobe and Friends in their daring escape today!
*** FEATURES ***
- 4 Different Play Styles : Featuring 4 different characters, each armed with their own unique ability and combo mechanic. Hookshot, Hammer, Dragon Punch and Feather Cape, each changes how the game is played.
- 4 Different Themes & BGM : 4 beautiful pixel world, each complete with it's own catchy music.
- 20 Unlockable Equipment : Over 20 equipment to be unlock, these equipment increases your stats, scores, ability and much more. Mix and match to find your most suitable play stye.
- Character Leaderboard : A total of 5 leaderboards, one for each character, and an additional for the overall highscore.