Monster Flip Review
- Publisher: Prodigy Design Limited T/A Sidhe Interactive
- Genre: Puzzle
- Released: 8 Mar, 2012
- Size: 18.1 MB
- Price: $2.99
- Feels like a puzzle first and a three-match game second; not your usual throw-away arcade title.
- Intriguing 'Sequence' mode; static board of monsters used to compete against others around the world.
- Slick, energetic cartoon design; hilarious 'help' menu information.
- Outside of the polished presentation and Sequence mode the game lacks a truly spin on the genre.
For the hardcore puzzlers, grabbing Monster Flip just to compete against others via the thought-provoking 'Sequence' mode is worth the purchase all by itself - for everyone else you get a polished, cute and at times hilarious arcade puzzler that feels more like a two-for-one with its arcade and puzzle modes being pulled apart.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
[Monster Flip is the Mini-Review for the Friday Wrap-Up for the 9th of March, 2012]
When it comes to presentation, developer PikPok doesn't mess about - 'vibrant', 'colorful' and 'exciting' are generally always applicable to their work, with some efforts (such as their work on Monsters Ate My Condo) taking things to a whole new extreme level. Despite its clean appearance, Monster Flip is no less energetic, especially once you get in to the roll of things and kick off a huge combo, complete with the usual explosions and announcements of how cool you are. However this isn't your basic three-match title - players must reverse groups of three or more monsters in order to make matches. Sounds easy? It would be if not for the increasingly common 'angry' monster that appears on the board, providing you with a limited amount of turns before they explode and end your run. Thankfully there's more to the game than just a basic 'Arcade' style mode and players can quickly unlock a 'Puzzle' mode where they'll need to clear the board of monsters with a limited amount of moves; 'Countdown' sets a timer and quickly ramps up the difficulty; and last of all 'Sequence' provides something entirely unique - a preset board of Monsters that is the same for every player in the world; with only 50 moves available you'll compete with others on the leaderboards for coming up with the highest scoring sequence. Three-match games get a bad-wrap as they often imitate and fail to innovate - Monster Flip is more style than substance, but what is on offer is diverse, clever and best of all, just as fun as you'd expect it to be.
DescriptionSwipe, flip and match monsters to help them return home in Monster Flip, the incredibly addictive game blending match three gameplay and puzzle cube mechanics.
Giant monsters are crash landing on Earth! Humans everywhere are panicking, predictably. But all the monsters want is to get back home — can you help them? Rotate sets of monsters so they line up in groups of three or more. Create massive combos and chains for extra points — but watch out for mad monsters that are out to ruin your day!
With four different modes, hugely addictive gameplay, and stellar sights and sounds, Monster Flip will keep you hooked for a long, long time.
Developed by Launching Pad Games and published by PikPok , Monster Flip features
• Classic Mode: Get as many points as you can before you’re overwhelmed by mad monsters!
• Puzzle Mode: Put your brain to the test in 60 mind-bending puzzles. Try to earn three stars in each one!
• Countdown Mode: race the clock in the 2-minute onslaught that is Countdown Mode
• Sequence Mode: Discover and master the perfect combination of moves
• Beautiful graphics and animations are a feast for your eyes
• Absolutely amazing audio with a theme song you won’t be able to stop humming
• Consult the in-depth Flipzopedia for pro tips, monster info, and much more
What's New in Version 1.1New in 1.1
• 20 New Puzzles
• 32 Achievements Added!
New in recent updates:
• Fixed bug were save games didn't persist through iTunes backup and restore