Final Freeway 2R Review
- An old arcade racer feel.
- Very tight and responsive tilt controls.
- Good selection of tunes to race to.
- The arcade feel is because this game is basically Outrun with a new control scheme.
- Lack of content.
Those that have fond memories of playing Outrun in the arcades, Final Freeway 2R is pretty much that experience with a very well executed tilt control scheme.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Weren't racing games at the arcades awesome back in the day? They usually had this giant car cabinet that you sat in. There was a steering wheel, and pedals. Sometimes even a gearbox! Sure the physics and the graphics have gotten a lot better over the years, and you can buy these elaborate peripherals for home use, but the experience is more than a little diluted. Still, we appreciate a throwback to simpler times and that's exactly what Final Freeway 2R offers.
Let's get the comparisons out of the way first. You know the game Outrun? Yeah, this is essentially Outrun. Same visual style, same branching path idea, same feel to the cars turning. If you're ok with that, let's continue. What the developers have done is add a very robust and responsive tilt control scheme. It may seem a bit off when you first start a race and your screen is tilted a little funny, but trust us, after driving for a minute or so, you'll be weaving through traffic like an expert. Kudos to them for getting the steering right.
You also have a rival that you're racing. Your goal is to beat them to every checkpoint. They seem to operate on the rubber-band racing rule that many games use to keep a player from getting too far out in front, and you'll see your rival pass you and lag behind many a time between checkered flags.
There's only one track, though the branching paths give it some replayability. There are music options, choosing between some fun driving tracks or your own music, and of course there are leader-boards and achievements. If you want a mobile version of Outrun and don't want to wait for Sega to start porting more of their classic library, Final Freeway 2R will do you right.
DescriptionSpeed through several exciting stages. Pick a character and choose your path as you drive!
The impressive sense of speed, catchy tunes and a super-retro look, will kick you back to the 80s! Beat the clock to the next checkpoint and don't let the pesky challenger beat you!
- Old-school arcade racing through 14 stages
- Real-time road splits (choose as you go)
- Fast, fast driving action!
- Awesome pixel art, for a perfect retro feeling
- 3 fantastic pop-rock tunes
- 3 selectable characters, with different skills
- Crash sequences (watch out for that tree!)
- Game Center Leaderboards and Achievements
- Touch, accelerometer and MFi Game Controllers support
- 3 difficulty levels
- Touch Arcade: "I just can’t believe how hooked I’ve been on it since it came out."
- Pocket Gamer: "A pitch-perfect blend of retro nostalgia and blistering, hair-flapping arcade racing."
NOTICE: This latest update doesn't work with iOS 6.1. We're working on a fix.
Thank you for your patience.