- Deceptively simple premise; easy to play, but challenging to master.
- Competency rewarded with greater complexity and new modes of play.
- Slick minimalistic visuals.
- 'Bomb' mode feels counter-intuitive; screen clearing via small matches rubs against Polymer's style.
Polymer is that genius little puzzler you gladly wait a year for to find - elegant in its design and rock-hard in its puzzling execution, Polymer only has a handful of quirks holding it back and even then you'll be coming back for more.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
There's one form of puzzle that has always managed to stump me. Not because it's particularly difficult, but because I always find myself needing to re-learn all of the basics to make any progress. I am, of course, referring to the sliding-puzzle.
With this in mind, despite its reliance on sliding-puzzle mechanics, I find myself stabbing retry again and again in Whitaker Blackall's colorful puzzler, Polymer.
The premise is as simple as it gets: slide various open-ended shapes around until you can close the gaps, thus forming a 'polymer' that can be removed with a simple tap. Larger polymers naturally gain more points and repeat play is rewarded with additional pieces and gameplay modes unlocking.
Moving the various shapes up and across the screen is at first a mind-straining task, but soon you'll see large chains forming in your mind and forming on the screen just as fast. Various color schemes help to reduce eye-strain, or stain the game in a palette suited to your tastes, but in either case the game is gorgeous in its elegant design.
Three modes are on offer, with the first being unlocked automatically. 'Two Minutes' provides you with, well, two minutes on the clock to form as many Polymers as possible; large chains and 'combos' will net you the high scores you're after. 'One Polymer' tasks you with creating a singular polymer blob, giving you all the time in the world to do so. Lastly, 'Bomb' places miniature timers on various pieces and you'll need to clear them off the board to keep matching.
Pieces, color palettes and the additional modes can be unlocked via IAP, but there's no pressure to do so as most pieces unlock fast enough as it is.
Polymer is everything you could want in a puzzler short of some sort of direct competitive feature. A fine pick-up for those after more than your average three-match or physics flinger.
DescriptionPolymer is a strategic shape-creating game that combines the logic of Rubik’s Cube, the sliding mechanism of Chuzzle, and the creativity of Lego.
Slide columns and rows to create never-before-seen shapes!
FIVE GAME MODES:
• Two Minutes: Casual and fast-paced
• One Polymer: Stress free and thought-provoking
• Bombs: Destroy the endless waves of bombs!
• Endless: No points. No time. No restrictions. Relax!
• Multiplayer: Who can make the best polymer within two minutes?
• Universal support!
• iPhone 5 support!
• iCloud syncing between devices
• GameCenter challenges
• Procedurally generated: every game is different!
• Captivating unlock system
• Five unique pieces
• Five gorgeous pieces of music
• Everything non-cosmetic can be unlocked without in-app purchase!
• Multiple color schemes, 6 of which are totally free
• Tweet, Facebook share, email, text or save your best polymers
• Game Center leaderboards and achievements
"Polymer is an exceedingly clever logic puzzler."
"Polymer is destined to eat a lot of the hours of thoughtful gamers."
— Touch Arcade
"Polymer is a brilliant, addictive puzzler, and its blend of logic and shape building make it a game almost anyone can enjoy."
— Pocket Gamer
"Polymer is my new go-to puzzle game. It’s a lot of fun and very challenging. Combined with the beautiful colors and awesome music and sound effects — I’m hooked."
"It’s already one of my favorite puzzle games on iOS."
— 148 Apps
"One of the most creative and unique puzzle games to come out in a while for your iPhone."
— App Advice
"Polymer is just like the molecules inside the game. Colourful, packed with a genuine sense of play, and far more than the sum of the parts"
What's New in Version 2.4• Making sure it looks and runs great with the newest software
• Added a "More Games" link to settings