TABLE TOP RACING Review
- Pitch perfect Arcade-style handling; responsive, but weighty enough to make jostling for position a potential hazard.
- Clever power-up combinations; also rewards the player for successful use of their abilities.
- Only some of the vehicles unlock via IAP; if you want them all, you'll have to work for it.
- Uninspired concept; sticks to the Kart formula with little deviation.
- Bordering on low on content; makes up the gap with different challenge combinations and smoothly scaling AI.
Table Top Racing is exactly what it says on the box, but there's nothing wrong with that when it's pulled off so smoothly and with so much style.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
When reviewing a title I often come across an internal dialogue in the form of a line of questioning that ends up sounding a little like this: "Where's all the depth? Shouldn't there be more stuff I can do?", "Does it matter? Are you having fun?", "Actually I am, but I'm afraid it won't last". For a game sporting as little as 8 stages and 10 vehicles, you'd think the fun would quickly run out, but Playrise Edge have nailed Table Top Racing's 'Kart' gameplay so perfectly that it's hard to wipe the smile off your face.
First and foremost, the game is an absolute doddle to pick up and play. Either tilt or touch the sides of the screen to turn, touch the left side to brake, and the right side to deploy a power-up (of which there are 9 to make use of including favorites such as mines and speed boosts).
So far so normal, but where Table Top lacks in conceptual innovation, it makes up for in the sheer level of polishing that has gone in to the execution. Handling for each vehicle is silky smooth; the stage designs pop out at you and load up almost instantly; and upgrading never feels like a chore as you earn copious amounts of coins via 'championships' and 'challenge' stages alike.
Speaking of the championships, players are presented with multiple paths for reaching the final 'cup' stage in order to unlock the next cup/championship. Obviously rushing there isn't in your best interest as the AI receives better vehicles to compensate for your progression, but those who have bought currency via IAP will appreciate the short-cut to greater challenges.
Sometimes it's easy to see why innovation is considered overrated, especially when finer details add enough depth to keep you hooked (Pro Tip: use the EMP to counter incoming rockets and you'll soar to victory without fear!).
With any luck we'll see even more content down the road, but for now Table Top Racing is an easy game to recommend to anyone after a solid Kart racer for their iPhone or iPad.
DescriptionTable Top Racing is the multi-award winning, combat-racer brought to you by the co-creator of Sony's blockbuster PlayStation franchise 'WipEout'. With console-quality graphics and intensifying game play, it offers countless hours of fun and a real challenge for players of all skill levels. 'Table Top Racing' pits all manner of crazy vehicles, battling each other in a world of table-top race tracks and over-sized obstacles. Upgrade your cars in the garage, master both pickup weapons and wheel weapons and explore the circuit limits and discover secret shortcuts!
- 4 Player Multi-player
- 30 Achievements
- 18 Leaderboards
- 17 Upgradeable Cars
- 8 Incredible Race Tracks
- 4 Fiercely Fought Championships
- 30+ Special Race Events
- 6 Unique Gameplay Modes
- 9 Cunning Power-Ups
- Zero Zombies....yet
- Tweet your victories and show off your new cars
- iCloud Save Game Sync
- iOS 7.0, 6.0 and 5.0 Compatible
- Native Resolution 3D on all supported platforms
- In-Game Multi-Language Support: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese.
With an awesome arsenal of madcap weapons and devious power-ups to play with, cars and tracks are brought to life with 'Triple-A' production values lavished on every pixel. The irresistible multi-player mode enables up to four 'frienemies' to engage in addictive, high octane battles over the net and also compete for the top spot on global leader boards.
Players can also win coins, upgrade vehicles, unlock new cars, expand their weapons cabinet in a bid to blast their way to the front of the grid. Simple, responsive controls make 'Table Top Racing' instantly playable with super smooth frame rates on all supported devices delivering a stunning racing game experience that all mobile gamers will enjoy.
App Store: "Best of 2013"
App Store: "Editors Choice"
Slide to Play: Game of the Month
What Mobile: Game of the Month
Pocket-Lint: App of the Day: “An instant classic!”
Pocket Gamer: Game Of The Week “Polished and instantly playable”
Touchgen “Table Top Racing looks absolutely gorgeous!”
The Sunday Times “Console quality entertainment at a fraction of the price”
The Sun “Table Top of the Pops!”
Note: iPhone 3GS/iPod 3rd are not supported so please do not buy and THEN leave a poor review. Thanks.
Table Top Racing has been awarded the prestigious "Best of 2013" by the European App Stores in France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, Luxembourg, Austria and Switzerland! Thank you everyone for your support.
What's New in Version 1.1.4- Battle your friends in local Multiplayer without needing to be logged into Game Centre
- Re-tuned Race Difficulty in Championships
- Pre-Race hints and tips. Learn tricks, tips and strategy advice
- Added new audio options button in Options page
- Bug Fixes
- INFORMATION: For those of you who are anxious about free-2-play games showing unsuitable advertising for younger player, there is now a choice: "Table Top Racing Premium Edition" is available now on the App Store. No adverts at all and completely optional In-App purchases too. With the Premium version, all cars, wheel weapons, upgrades and paint schemes can version can be won through skill and game play.