Puzzle Retreat Review
- Simplicity of premise and 'casual' controls don't detract from the puzzle complexity.
- Clean presentation; wood blocks invoke the warmness of physical, hand-made puzzles.
- Plenty of content available for players to work their way through.
- Spartan ambiance feels lifeless after playing for a while.
- No additional incentives to replay stages; not bad in and of itself, but a missed opportunity for extended gameplay.
The Voxel Agents strip things back for Puzzle Retreat and the end result is a zen-like block-sliding experience with a restrained, relaxing presentation.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
If you consider pure puzzle titles to be a boring chore, you can probably stop right here; that's not the most flattering of openings, but I know there's more than a few of you who balk at the idea of a game not having at least some sort of action element to it. For those of you who remain, Puzzle Retreat is a brilliant zen-like puzzler that takes the 'sliding block' concept quite literally.
Your goal on each level is simply to fill the empty spaces with ice and other objects later on. You're presented with a grid and the simple controls of swiping blocks on the edge to deploy their payload. The most basic of these is 'ice' and the block will fill as many gaps as there are die spots on the block. Ice can slide over other blocks of ice, so there's a weaving aspect to take in to account on most levels.
To keep things interesting the game introduces brand new blocks every so often including directional blocks to change how they slide; stoppers to get in the way of blocks; and even fire blocks that melt the blocks you've placed.
The potential for challenges that bend the mind with leaps of logic is high, but thanks to the casual simplicity of swiping blocks and quickly 'undo'ing anything that looks wrong, you can make short work of even the most complex puzzle with some spare time.
Although the presentation is slick, the lack of background music leaves the game feeling a little too spartan; there's always the option of turning something like that off if it annoys you.
At this point the game has already released several puzzle packs, each costing $0.99 for 24 additional levels. That's not a bad deal considering the base game comes with 96 puzzles out of the gate.
If you've been trying to scratch that puzzling itch, give Puzzle Retreat a try.
Description"I guarantee you will love this game."
"Puzzle Retreat is a brilliant zen-like puzzler"
"Seriously addictive: easy-to-learn; no pressure; and cerebral problem solving. There is not a single flaw."
"Puzzle Retreat is for everyone."
"So smart and so well-made, why wasn't it created a billion years ago?"
Escape to the Puzzle Retreat and immerse yourself in this unique block-sliding puzzle game from the creators of the smash-hit Train Conductor series.
Shut off the outside world. Relax, unwind and focus with a new type of puzzle that is both simple to learn and compellingly deep. Puzzle Retreat is a fresh challenge that will have you losing track of time and forgetting about the outside world.
The rules are simple:
• Slide blocks to fill all the holes in the grid
• Use all the blocks
The challenge comes from working out the correct order to slide the blocks and really ramps up with the addition of special blocks including Fire Blocks, Stop Blocks and Arrow Blocks, which alter the direction of sliding blocks.
• Includes 58 puzzles to solve, and 6 additional packs available via In App purchase
• Connect with other puzzle lovers - discuss puzzles and techniques directly in-game
• Stuck on a puzzle – no problem, just move to the next and come back later, or talk it out with other players
• iCloud support – save your progress across all your devices
• Supports all devices, including the new iPhone 5 and iPad Mini
• One purchase to install on all your devices
For feedback or support enquiries email
Follow us on Twitter for updates
Like us on Facebook for updates, hints and to discuss the game with fellow fans
For more information, visit our website
What's New in Version 1.9- New puzzle element, the "Bonsai Tree"
- Each puzzle pack now has a unique background
- Merged Fireplace Pack into other Packs (Free Puzzles for affected users)
- Added additional puzzles to each pack
- New puzzle pack "Garden"
- A total of 58 new puzzles added
- Added language support for Simplified Chinese and Italian
Thank you for being an amazing fan, and please rate us after each update!