Rise of the Blobs Review
- Deliciously juicy sound effects backed by groovy tunes.
- A great innovation built on the classic Tetris formula.
- The store and unlocks are not intrusive.
- Performance issues including hefty frame rate lag, and intense battery drain on the 3GS phone used to review the title.
If you'd like a gooshy, 'spin round the tower' reverse form of Tetris, Rise of the Blobs has got you covered.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Observe the valiant marshmallow, standing atop his pillar of righteousness, casting down fruit at any lowly blob that dares rise above its station. OK, so that's not what's happening here in Rise of the Blobs, well aside from the marshmallow and the pillar... and the blobs of course. Think of this as a rotating reverse Tetris in which you need to be vigilant, surveying around the spire, while throwing the right colored fruit on the right colored blob so you can tap it, make it go squish, hopefully chain react its buddies into oblivion, and stem off the inevitable destruction for at least a little longer.
Like most endless puzzlers, this game gets faster the longer you play. The marshmallow automatically throws down the fruit, and rotating the pillar will determine where it falls; although swiping down will cause the fruit to plummet. If it hits a blob of the same color, that blob will transform, allowing you to tap it, which makes it and any touching blocks of the same color explode in a gooshy, juicy mess. If the fruit lands on top of a blob not its color, it will just sit there, but either stacking three of a kind, or detonating a neighbor blob will remove its obstructive ways from the game world. Of course there are power-ups that aid play like the coconut bomb, and acquiring coins (or paying for them) will allow you to buy these in either a single use or permanent variety.
And as presentation goes, well the landscapes and blobs are all bright and colorful, and the explosions are visually pleasant, being accompanied by a very satisfying sound effect. Sadly performance was a big issue while playing this game for review on the 3GS. Not only was there highly noticeable frame-rate lag, but the CPU in the phone seemed to be running at maximum, and the majority of the battery drained within fifteen minutes of play. Even if this is just an issue on older devices, it's something that needs to be addressed.
So if you like endless puzzle games, Rise of the Blobs is worth a look. The idea is familiar thanks to its obvious inspiration, but changed significantly enough to be entirely its own. Add to that enjoyable visuals and sound, and not having too heavy handed a push towards in-app purchases, and you have a game that should keep its intended audience entertained.
DescriptionYou’ve never seen a puzzle game like this before!
Waves of hungry blobs are making their way up a column towards our stranded marshmallow hero! Help Marsh Mal survive the invasion by filling blobs with fruit and popping them in massive chains. Once you’ve mastered the basics, a collection of other game modes are waiting to challenge you in new ways.
You ready to rise to this colorful challenge?
- Amazingly addictive 3D blob popping PUZZLE action!
- SIMPLE to play but chock full of depth and strategy
- A variety of GAME MODES to keep you hooked
- Connect with your FRIENDS via Facebook or Game Center and compete in the weekly leaderboard!
- Connect with your FRIENDS via Facebook and compete in the weekly leaderboard!
- Complete MISSIONS to earn awesome rewards!
- Upgradeable POWER-UPS and perks to maximize your scores
- Beautiful and VIBRANT 3D environments!
- Tons of radical ACHIEVEMENTS to earn
- Outrageous OUTFITS allow for total marshmallow customization
- Get the Robot Invader pass for EXCLUSIVE content!
- Simple, automatic syncing across your devices
Brought to you by Robot Invader, the crazed creators of the award winning ultra smash hit Wind-up Knight!
A word from our marshmallow:
“Hi everybody! I'm Marsh Mal, the high fructose protagonist of Rise of the Blobs. Actually I dunno what any of that means, but that's not the point. The point is you gotta hurry up and download this game! Those blobs ain’t gonna pop themselves!”
What's New in Version 4.0Thanks for playing! Check out all the new content:
* Introducing FREEZE DROP! Drop fruit manually. Play at your own pace! Take time to strategize! Freeze Drop is incredibly useful in Skull and Match modes.
* New SWAMP staged unlocked for Robot Invader Passholders!
* Added a GOLD RUSH pack, which features a mother load of coins and the new DESERT stage!
* New achievements!
* More menu enhancements!
* FX tweaks!
* Bug fixes.