Towelfight 2: The Monocle of Destiny Review
- Publisher: Butterscotch Shenanigans, LLC
- Genre: Adventure
- Released: 26 Feb, 2013
- Size: 66.4 MB
- Price: FREE!
- A large world to explore.
- Lots of upgrades and goodies to buy and unlock by clearing screens.
- The sound drops in and out at certain times.
- Controls are atrocious.
Towel Fight 2 takes its influences from games like The Binding of Isaac, and by extension, The Legend of Zelda, but its controls turn a well designed game into a frustrating experience.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
There you are, spending a quiet day with your monocle and your pug, when suddenly a temporal rift opens up, whisking you away to a world where one God is planning on using you to overthrow his rival and thus take control of the land once again. In exchange for your help, he'll send you back home. Towel Fight 2: The Monocle of Destiny doesn't take itself too seriously, which you'd expect of a game where your primary attack is using your enchanted monocle to hurl animals to their doom.
The game is technically a twin stick shooter, or a twin d-pad shooter, which might be a more apt description. The directional pad on the left side of the screen moves your character in four directions, while the pad on the right shoots also in those four directions. This rigid movement sounds like it might be problematic but as long as you have freedom of movement and fire, you can easily duck in for a shot at an enemy, avoiding a projectile as you weave back out. Unfortunately the controls don't really allow that. You see, the d-pads only take up a small area on the screen and are not that responsive to your inputs. As of writing this review, an update is planned that is supposed to solve some of the control issues, so let's hope it delivers as while the game is playable, you'll be fighting the d-pads more than you will be the enemies.
The game itself not only has a strong sense of personality (and of humor), but has a lot going for it in terms of design. There's a large world map to uncover (complete with warp points to lessen travel), and upon clearing each room of enemies, you gain a bonus whether that be health, a new power-up that can fit in one of your three slots, or a new augmentation to your weapon load-out. The weapon system might be the most interesting. You fire animals, but as you collect new animals, you can load them into the rotating chamber of your monocle. Each of these weapons has a different effect and strength, but then you gather augmentations which change the properties of the animal when it hits an enemy. This certainly encourages experimentation and keeps the player interested in any new augmentation they find and what possible effects to the weapon load-out it may result in.
Towel Fight 2 seems like it would be better suited to a PC release. Not only due to the unfortunate control issues (although those with an iCade might have a better time), but its presentation and mechanics might not be accepted too well on the iOS where the majority of players are looking to plough through a few levels when they have five minutes free rather than map out a world and experiment with the weapon options on offer. At least such a market is niche on the App Store, and those players will certainly enjoy this release.
DescriptionFollow the ultra-suave Hardik in this action adventure RPG that borders on insanity. Shoot animals out of your face through furious boss fights, procedurally generated levels, and a huge number of powerups and unique weapons as you battle across the realm.
Laser blasting bees, speed boosting unicorns, spiraling praying mantises, whales in heat, and ultra defensive turtles will join you on your journey!
• Unique Shot Rotation system -- Build and customize a rotating clip of ‘Jectiles to burn, poison, freeze, electrocute, pinch, and explode your enemies.
• 43 unique weapons with 86 augmentations
• 14 insane power-ups – Choose three different power-ups and equip them simultaneously, including the Zombie Whistle, Blo-Gun, Ice Belt, and Blazing Shoes!
• 10 evil bosses – So evil you will shed a single tear after defeating each one of them.
• Procedurally generated world – Thousands of rooms with plenty of things to kill. Roguelike elements abound!
• 5 Unique Environments -- Including the cute, lovable Forest and the squishy, disturbing Nightmare.
• 4 Monocles with different firing modes - Want to shoot two ‘Jectiles at a time, or do you prefer a “spray and pray” approach? No matter, we’ve got the monocle for you!
• A massive campaign -- Plus dozens more hours of exploration and enough power grabbing to last a lifetime.
• Featuring gods, a grub, and a pug – A story you can tell your grandbabbies!
• Dungeons for the truly courageous -- The most powerful items in the game can only be found in the depths of Forn’s dungeons. You must earn them, and you will die trying.
• The Arena of the Gods -- Wager coins to face increasingly more challenging armies. The more you wager, the bigger the payoff!
• Butter Up through BscotchID to get access to the game's premium content!
• Cloud saving -- Transfer your save between devices! New phone? No problem!
• Cross-game perks. Unlock unique game content in other Bscotch games, and use other Bscotch games to unlock content in Towelfight, including unique 'jectiles!
• Friend leaderboards through BscotchID
• Doubled coin gains
• Reduced resurrection cost