Ms. Splosion Man Review
- Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
- Genre: Entertainment
- Released: 28 Mar, 2013
- Size: 465.7 MB
- Price: $2.99
- Fun twist on the standard platforming tropes; no 'jumping' per se, but rather a series of controlled 'explosions'.
- A good mix of stages with flowing momentum, and the occasional puzzle to keep your brain from shutting down.
- Zoomed out perspective pairs badly with the smaller iOS screen.
- Controls not as precise as they could be.
Ms. Splosion Man is still the fun and over the top platformer it was on consoles, but without modifications to suit iOS devices it has some teething problems.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
More and more these days we're seeing console and PC titles making their way to the App Store. However the most successful of these shape their title to fit the mold of the iOS platform, be it through unique controls to suit the touch-screen or a complete rework of its gameplay. Ms. Splosion Man takes the easier route of keeping things mostly unchanged, and while it does hurt the game in some ways, the manic platformer from Twisted Pixel Games remains a treat to play.
If you took a bubbly 'Valley Girl' stereotype and gave her a comic-book-esque transformation in to a living bomb, you'd be close to describing the main character of the game. Also, she doesn't jump so much as she uses her explosive energy to bounce around. This proves to be extremely handy as there are plenty of explosive barrels to bounce off of, and the key to many of the game's many puzzles lie in working out the right order in which to approach them.
Unfortunately two things mar the game's otherwise solid gameplay. Firstly the visuals are poorly suited to iOS devices; whether using an iPad or an iPhone, the explosive action makes it hard to keep track of your character and it gets even worse when you're in a 'locked room' and she hides behind your fingers. Secondly, the controls never really seem to provide enough fidelity for some of the fiddlier platforming sections; it's not a deal breaker, but whether you slide or tap it's hard to remain confident in your actions.
These issues aside, there's a lot of content on offer, especially for those who seek to challenge themselves by replaying levels to complete bonus missions or to beat a global high score. Ms. Splosion Man walks a fine line between being irritating thanks to its many dated references, and being hilarious and absorbing thanks to these very same moments.
If you enjoyed the original console release you'll already know what to expect (and that may make it less worthwhile a purchase) but if you're new to the series, this is a great pick up if you enjoy your platformers.
Description**Requires an iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 5th gen, or newer.**
**Best experienced on The New iPad, iPhone 5, iPod Touch 5th gen, or newer.**
“One of the best 2D platformers ever made.” –Machinima (9.5 out of 10)
“The best ending of all time.” –Joystiq (10 out of 10)
“Most butt cheeks clenched award.” –Destructoid (9.5 out of 10)
You got a problem? Yo, she’ll splode it. At the Big Science after-party celebrating the capture of Splosion Man, a spill of champagne shorts out the safety protocols on the splosionatrix and from it emerges Ms. Splosion Man.
• The “prettiest” platformer on mobile devices
• Native support for 4 inch Retina Displays and The New iPad
• 3D character-driven title loaded with personality, animation, humor and a crazy FMV ending!
• Easy left-right-tap controls with challenging, fast paced puzzles
• 50 levels with big splosions and 4 huge boss battles
• Physics-based gameplay mechanics
• Introducing 6 powerups like Nuclear Sploding and Sonic Speed
• Race against ghost replays
• Visit 3 exotic locations
• Introducing 1,500 challenges to complete and earn Fame
• Morph target facial animation
• AirPlay support for playing on larger displays
• Localized for 9 languages: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, European Portuguese, Japanese, Korean, and Traditional Chinese
This is Twisted Pixel’s first mobile game and we want to be one of the most supportive developers out there. Tell us about bugs so that we can fix them quickly at firstname.lastname@example.org and twitter.com/ms_splosion_man!
What's New in Version 1.0.1What's New in Version 1.1
• Added support for cross-device savegames via iCloud
• Increased tokens earned per level
• Updated UI artwork
• Squashed the crap out of some bugs
Thanks for playing! We're still making improvements so hit us up with suggestions at email@example.com