Combo Crew Review
- Very innovate controls, especially considering the game type.
- Lots of content / lots of unlocks.
- Highly amusing intro video.
- Prolonged play can easily lead to carpel tunnel syndrome.
- A combo cancel would be invaluable.
The Game Bakers have successfully reinvented the beat em up for the iOS platform. Combo Crew is full of personality and a must for fans of the genre.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Long time fans of Appspy will have heard a particular criticism time and time again: the unwelcome shoehorning of traditional control schemes onto touchscreen interfaces. Though the implementation of these controls have improved, developers that actually design around the strengths of the iPhone and iPad are far and few between. However, for Combo Crew, The Game Bakers have decided to create a classic beat em up while trying their best to craft an original control scheme that plays to these strengths.
Mr Boss has invited the three best fighters in the world to his tower for the sole purpose of destroying them, and cementing his legacy as the best brawler on Earth. As one of these fighters (or two if you decide to make use of the game's co-op mode), it's up to you to fight hundreds upon hundreds of henchman as you climb the floors of the tower.
Gone is the analogue stick and attack buttons primarily associated with the genre. Everything in Combo Crew is swipe and tap based. Swiping on an enemy will send your fighter in their direction to attack, while swiping and holding will create a block breaking charge attack. Tapping the screen when an enemy shows an exclamation mark above their head will counter their offence.
But it's the two finger combo system around which the game is centred. Using both fingers to swipe in a given direction will unleash a multi-hit combo. Depending on which combo, you might attack enemies in the vicinity of your main target, or throw them up in the air, where you can continue to juggle them with single swipes. Once your combo meter fills, you can unleash a super combo which will decimate everybody on the screen. Of course, any hits by an enemy will interrupt the building of this meter.
Your combos cannot be halted mid-flow. So, if an enemy is about to attack - especially a boss who's moves are more immediate - you find yourself without any recourse to take. A combo cancel would be invaluable, as you don't get far into the campaign before this starts becoming an issue. That said, the lack of a combo cancellation feature does force you to think before you let loose.
You soon gain the ability to unlock new combos for your characters, new perks, and additional combatants, adding welcome variety to the proceedings. There's also an endless tower mode for you high score junkies.
If you enjoy a bit of beat em up action, you're going to enjoy Combo Crew - not just for its control scheme, but for being decent entry into a classic (and recently maligned) genre.
DescriptionIn a world where a fist to the face is a perfectly viable solution, Mr. Boss has it all. Now he wants to break the greatest fighters ever! Trapped in his giant tower, you must fight your way to the top to take him down! Inspired by classics like Streets of Rage, Final Fight, and Street Fighter, Combo Crew is pure rumble with no virtual buttons to mess up your moves.
Touch controls are smooth, responsive, and easy to learn: one-finger swipe to punch / kick, tap to counter, and two-finger swipes for special combos. When your super combo gauge fills up, all hell breaks loose—beat down the bad guys with hectic in-your-face combo streaks!
Play this action-packed brawler alone or call in your whole crew! You can rescue online friends from KO (or have them rescue you) and compete for high scores on global leaderboards. Quick melee brawls in arena-style levels make Combo Crew perfect for intense bursts of gaming on the go. But with hundreds of missions, unlockables, and an endless mode, you’ll keep coming back for more.
To add to the fun, legendary video game characters have joined the crew and are ready for the fight: Ryu, Chun Li, Ken and Blanka from Street Fighter 2, Joe from Viewtiful Joe and Lester Knight from Out of this World (a.k.a Another world). A whole range of fighting styles and unique combos!
• Fight with your fingers: slash enemies to trigger crazy combos, tap to guard. A modern beat ’em up with no virtual D-pad!
• The first mobile brawler with asynchronous multiplayer across devices. Rescue your friends, or be rescued by them!
• A true arcade experience with a great combo system and super moves.
• Several heroes with unique combat styles and more than 80 moves to master.
• To add to the fun, legendary video game characters have joined the crew and are ready for the fight: Ryu, Chun Li, Ken and Blanka from Street Fighter™ 2, Joe from Viewtiful Joe™ and Lester from Another world.
• Hundreds of missions - complete them solo or compete for high scores against online friends.
• An endless scoring mode, unlockables, and collectibles - a ton of replay value.
• Log in to sync automatically between your devices.
• Languages: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Russian.
Best experience on iPad 2 and above or iPhone 4S and above.
VIEWTIFUL JOE™ © CAPCOM CO., LTD. 2003, 2004 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
STREET FIGHTER™ © CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
What's New in Version 1.3.1Three major bugfixes: thanks to you all, players who reported the bugs and helped us fix it! Please keep giving good ratings to the game, we need the fan support!
> Fixed the crash that happened when launching the app for some users (after a purchase)
> Fixed the freeze on level 21
> Fixed the problem of locked characters or hidden prices.
And a reminder of last huge update:
Here come new challengers!! Ryu, Chun Li, Ken and Blanka from legendary Street Fighter™ 2 add up to the crew as in App Purchases.
- It is now possible to counter anytime - hence to cancel the current attack!
- Enemies have new attack behaviors.
- A new background for the very beginning of the game.
- Game available in Chinese.
- And more bug fixes.