Kingdom Rush Frontiers HD iPad Review
- Challenging and compulsive battles.
- Stellar production values.
- As charming and engaging as its predecessor.
- Doesn't do anything drastically new with the franchise.
Though Kingdom Rush: Frontiers is more of a torch bearer than a trailblazer, its refreshed character roster and fiendishly clever maps will more than satisfy tower defence fans. A class act.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Sequels can be tricky. You have to give the fans more of what they loved the first time out, while adding enough new elements to warrant a second visit. It's doubly difficult when you're following an acclaimed title like tower defence titan Kingdom Rush. Luckily for us, developer Ironhide has kept its cool and delivered another top tier instalment to artillery-oriented action. The team hasn't deviated far from the original template, but considering the quality of the original, that's not altogether a bad thing.
Like its predecessor, Kingdom Rush: Frontiers drops you into a medieval world, and tasks you with defending it against a rogue's gallery of marauders and would-be occupiers. To do this, you must erect towers of varying capabilities. There are four main types of tower: barracks, archer towers, mage towers, and dwavern bombards. At the beginning of each round, you'll need to spend your gold reserves on building a selection of these towers. Once they're built, the assault will start, after which you'll have to buy more towers - and upgrade your existing defences - using cash earned from slaying your advancing foes.
Everything that made the first game great is back in force for the second instalment. There's a gaggle of enemies both old and new, with each unit possessing its own unique abilities and visual quirks. Though you'll begin by loosing arrows at low level desert thugs, it won't be long before you're tackling more dangerous foes like Executioners and Giant Scorpions. As before, the game's arch fantasy setting and humorous pop culture references disguise the very real challenges that the game throws up. Fail to upgrade your towers wisely or forget to deploy your reinforcements, and defeat will not be far behind.
However, when coupled with the game's stellar production values, charismatic creature design, and rock solid battle mechanics, these challenges are a pleasure to face. Even when victories are snatched from you grasp at the last minute, you'll find yourself hitting the restart button and preparing yourself for another onslaught.
If there's any disappointment to be found in Kingdom Rush: Frontiers, it's that it doesn't take the franchise in any particularly noteworthy new directions. The mantra here seems to have been 'more of the same, but bigger and better'. However, when the results are this much fun, who are we to complain?
DescriptionThe world's most devilishly addictive defense game is back - welcome to Kingdom Rush: Frontiers!
Bigger and badder than ever before, Kingdom Rush: Frontiers is a whole new level of the furiously fast, enchantingly charming gameplay that made the original title an award-winning hit. Tap your troops through an epic (mis)adventure as you defend exotic lands from dragons, man-eating plants, and ghastly denizens of the underworld -all with flashy new towers, levels, heroes, and more goodies to help you crush your foes to a pulp. (Don't worry, we've still got all the good ol' stuff from the last game, too. It's vintage now.)
Kingdom Rush: Frontiers packs in so much content, it's like a fully upgraded artillery blast of mouthwatering, pixelated joy launched right into your smiling little face... and it hurts so good!
• Fortify the frontier in exotic news lands - hold the line in deserts, jungles and even the underworld!
• Eight new specialized tower upgrades! Slice, sizzle, and stomp your foes with Crossbow Forts, Mighty Templars, Necromancers, and even Earthquake Machines - hey, we told you we were shaking things up.
• Over 18 tower abilities! Unleash Death Riders, pestilence clouds, or Assassins that steal and kill your enemies!
• Over 40 enemies with unique abilities! Stay on your toes as you fight through desert sandworms, tribal shamans, nomad tribes and underground terrors.
• Nine legendary heroes. Choose your champions and train their abilities!
• Special units and features on every stage! Watch out for the Black Dragon!
• Merciless boss fights! Hey, we told you to get those upgrades...
• Hours of gameplay with over 70 achievements!
• Classic, Iron, and Heroic game modes to challenge your tactical skills!
• Three difficulty modes! Are you up for a real challenge? Go with Hard mode!
Intoxicating charm with a rousing score, full-bodied voice-overs and lovingly illustrated cartoon art! (Complete with cartoon blood, naturally.)
• In-game encyclopedia! True warriors know thine enemies... and their towers. Study up!
PRAISE FOR KINGDOM RUSH: IGN Editor's Choice, Slide To Play Must Have, 148 Apps Editor's Choice, Jay is Games Game of the Year, Pocket Gamer Gold Award, Touch Arcade 4.5/5, CNET. Best iPad Games
Compatible with: iPad One, iPad 2, iPad Retina and iPad Mini
What's New in Version 1.8Gameplay tweaks and bugs fixes.
Fixed a bug when the Black Surge blocking tower ability.
Fixed some issues when Cannibals ate soldiers near the exit.
Fixed a bug with Beresad's burning tower ability.
Fixed some issues with the final boss fight.
Fixed bug when playing heroic game mode in The Sunken Citadel.