Gangstar Vegas Review
- Decent visuals.
- A healthy number of missions.
- Larger map.
- Poor controls.
- Dull and buggy combat.
- Derivative, uninspired plot.
- Lazy writing and borderline offensive stereotyping.
With its awkward controls, buggy combat, and cardboard characters, Gangstar Vegas is all glitter and no gold.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Gangstar Vegas is a textbook example of generation loss. If you're unfamiliar with the term, it describes the loss of quality that occurs when something is copied.
In the case of the Gangstar franchise, the source material is clearly Grand Theft Auto. For Gangstar Vegas, Gameloft has transplanted the shooting, mugging, and carjacking action of its GTA wanabee franchise to Nevada's infamous Vegas Strip. This is presumably in an effort to inject some colour and fun into the series previously grimy and po-faced universe. The result is a game that is suitably gaudy and ambitious in scope. However, it's hamstrung by derivative content, vacuous characters, and controls which simply aren't up to the task.
The storyline is as generic as they come. You play as Jason, an ethically flexible boxer who gets in deep with some unscrupulous types when he fails to throw a fight. Rescued by criminal duo Karen and Vera, you find yourself attempting to stay alive by diving deeper into the criminal underworld. Along the way, you are free to indulge in all the gangbanging, drive-bys, car-jacking, street races, and wanton destruction you see fit.
All of which would be grand if it wasn't so awkward to control. Moving Jason around the city is a constant headache. The virtual stick is unreliable and twitchy, making even the most basic movement commands difficult. Combine this lack of accuracy with a sprint button which doubles as the jump command, you'll find yourself accidentally leaping off of walkways and plummeting to the ground at the most inopportune moments.
Melee combat fares no better. The bare bones never-stop-punching system is frequently undercut by an erratic lock-on and buggy enemies. Shooting is functional, but, thanks to the lock-on and cover systems, large scale shootouts are ultimately exercises in patience rather than skill. The vehicle handling is marginally better, but still oddly stilted, with even the least powerful of vehicles sliding wildly at relatively low speeds.
To its credit, Gangstar Vegas isn't short of missions or customisation options. Weapons, driving skills, and outfits can all be tweaked and upgraded. There's even a pawn shop which lets you trade and sawp items and equipment. You can quick travel to missions via the map screen if you're in a hurry, a feature further expidited by the Quick Play menu.
The problem is, once you get to a mission - most of which consist of chasing or shooting unlikeable D-grade gangster archetypes - you're still faced with another barrage of repetitive combat and ugly stereotypes, all while wrestling with controls which aren't fit for purpose.
Though they weren't available when the Gangstar franchise first hit the App Store, you can now get both GTA 3 and GTA: Vice City for iOS. Our advice: play those games instead. If you're a Gangstar die hard, you might gain some enjoyment from powering though Vegas. But, for our money, this excursion to the Valley isn't worth the road trip.
DescriptionRoll up on a dangerous new trip through the City of Sin in the latest episode of the acclaimed open-world action series!
WELCOME TO OUTRAGEOUS VEGAS
√ Play as a mixed martial arts fighter in a BLOCKBUSTER STORY MODE
√ Make your way through 80 ACTION-PACKED MISSIONS
√ Team up with the wildest characters to take over the city
ENDLESS SANDBOX FUN
√ Explore a BIGGER MAP, 9x the size of previous Gangstars
√ Perform amazing stunts with ragdoll effects making use of HAVOK PHYSICS
√ Climb the leaderboards in WILD CHALLENGES like races, fights, carnage missions & more!
√ Break the bank in addictive CASINO GAMES
A RIDE ON THE WILD SIDE
√ Access INSANE WEAPONS like Molotov Cocktails, Flamethrowers & an Electric Guitar!
√ Drive CRAZY VEHICLES including monster trucks, muscle cars & fighter jets
√ UPGRADE YOUR SKILLS & GEAR and customize their appearance
**This game is packed with so many cool features that we recommend installing it through iTunes. It will require less of the available storage on your device!**
** Supports Game Controllers made for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Game Controller support requires iOS 7 or later and is compatible with iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPad 2 or later, and iPod touch (5th generation).
Visit our official site at http://www.gameloft.com
Follow us on Twitter at http://glft.co/GameloftonTwitter or like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Gameloft to get more info about all our upcoming titles.
Check out our videos and game trailers on http://www.youtube.com/Gameloft
Discover our blog at http://glft.co/Gameloft_Official_Blog for the inside scoop on everything Gameloft.
Certain apps allow you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third party advertisements that may redirect you to a third party site.
What's New in Version 1.7.0The Colors & Crews update just rolled into Gangstar: Vegas, making the game completely FREE TO PLAY! There’s gonna be a lot more Gangs shootin’ and stealin’ around here. So now’s a good time to ask yourself, “Who’s got your back?”
RUN FREE THROUGH VEGAS
- Gangstar: Vegas is now open to all. So let’s tear this town apart!
- Diamonds: This new currency is your key to unlocking extra content and playing all the missions and Limited-Time Events you want.
- Stock up on Diamonds by completing missions or special events.
- New Special Event Energy System: No more limits on how many times you can play!
BUST A CAP IN YOUR RIVALS
- Gang Battles: Finally, a chance to show everyone whose Gang’s the hardest in cooperative gunfights. Spill enough blood and collect crazy rewards.
- Take on new Limited-Time Events where you can gun down player characters from rival Gangs.
- Chat: Talk over your plans for criminal greatness with your Gang.
‘TIS THE SEASON TO BE NAUGHTY
- Ho, ho, hooooooly crap! Take a flying fall from the sky and snatch Santa’s gifts for yourself.
- Elf Costumes: The perfect outfit for winter mischief.
- Sugar-Coater: Truly, this is one sweet gun.
- Hijack Santa’s Sleigh: Spread enough holiday mayhem to get this jet-powered bringer of cheer!
UPGRADE YOUR GANGSTER
- New Costumes: Pick your poison with the Clinical Criminal, Native, and other cool threads.
- New Weapons: Get wild with the Tomahawk and other cool killing tools.
- New Vehicles: Own the sky in the Jumbo Jetpack, rule the road in the Baron Samedi Chopper, or scorch the Earth in the MC4 FireStorm.
ALL THE REST
- New user interface for easier menu navigation and control.
- Memory optimization
- Overall system optimization and bug fixes.