Pinball Rocks HD iPad Review
- Publisher: Sony Music Entertainment
- Genre: Entertainment
- Released: 12 Jun, 2013
- Size: 259.4 MB
- Price: FREE!
- Excellent pinball physics.
- Tables are varied and well-designed.
- Rock soundtrack is a blast.
- Music IAP trappings are a little irritating.
- Not as much visual excitement as you might expect.
Though the IAPs songs are a bit much, this solid entry in the pinball genre should satisy paddle-pushers and rock enthusiasts alike.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Pinball Rocks HD is an odd franchise. On the surface, it's a free-to-play pinball title, featuring a selection of purchasable rock 'n roll-themed tables. However, browse through the song selection menu, and you discover the trappings of a music game, one which is keen for you to shell out cash for extra tunes.
In actual fact, the expandable soundtrack is just that: a soundtrack. The only way music impacts gameplay is thematically. While the basic free-to-play table is dressed in generic rock 'n roll iconography, the four remaining tables are tailored to four classic rock and metal bands.
Alice in Chains, Bullet for my Valentine, AC/DC and Slayer all get their own tables, each of which are dressed in suitably gothic, gaudy, or ghoulish skins. Visually, we were drawn to the highly detailed fire and brimstone garnished livery of the Slayer table. We probably had most fun on the Bullet For My Valentine table, with its tracks and bumpers providing an entertaining playground.
To achieve decent scores, you'll need to activate chains of lights by completing mini-games. These range from firing your ball through a set number of gates, or hitting a jar of flies until the lid opens and the insects escape. You have to set your own goals, but the table gives you plenty of feedback when you're doing something right.
Though Sony's please-buy-our-music angle might seem a little forced or cynical, the actual pinball mechanics are very strong. Both the ball and the paddles have weight, and the way the ball richocets and rebounds around the bumpers and borders is feels both authentic and satisfying. There are fewer pyrotechnics and flights of fancy than you might expect for a game featuring Alice in Chains, but the fundamentals are sound.
Of course, you're going to have to drop a couple of bucks if you want to try out the band tables. If you're a pinball officianado, though, we'd recommend you download Pinball Rocks HD and give the free table a try. Unless you hate rock n roll, of course, in which case, hang on for yet-to-be announced sequel Pinball Celine Dion.
DescriptionYou asked for more ROCK, and we're giving it to you!
The free Pinball Rocks table now includes a whole new game soundtrack — featuring awesome tracks from For Today, Sirens & Sailors, Adrenaline Mob, Hawthorne Heights, Islander, Snow White's Poison Bite, Everything In Slow Motion, I Am The Avalanche, Hangar 9, Norma Jean and Richie Kotzen!
Pinball Rocks HD is the loudest pinball game ever, brought to you by Sony Music Entertainment and Gameprom.
Pinball Rocks HD is a five table compilation featuring a free game loaded with new songs from today's top rock artists and four custom branded unlocks for Alice in Chains, Bullet For My Valentine and the original critically acclaimed hits AC/DC and Slayer. Each game provides cutting edge 3D graphics, missions, unique bonus games and ear-splitting riffs.
* PINBALL ROCKS: Jump into our FREE rock club themed table, and challenge yourself with 20+ missions and 3 bonus games. Pinball Rocks features an awesome soundtrack along with in-game voiceovers from SiriusXM's Zeena Koda. It's like a juke box in a game -- every ball you play cranks out a killer new song from today's top bands, and songs will be updated in subsequent releases of the game!
* ALICE IN CHAINS: Hot on the heels of the band's latest hit album THE DEVIL PUT DINOSAURS HERE, Alice In Chains Pinball Rocks is a journey throughout the band's legendary career. Smash the Jar of Flies, break the Music Bank and unlock the blackened heart and dino skulls all under the watchful eye of the Tripod. The game features original voiceovers from band members Jerry Cantrell, William DuVall, Sean Kinney and Mike Inez along with many of the band's greatest hits, culminating with an unlock that features the band's newest single "Hollow."
* BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE: Get ready to SCREAM AIM AND FIRE! Littered with references to many of the band's hit videos, BFMV Pinball is a riotous high speed experience channeling the energy of one of rock's loudest acts. Fire up the anger meter, spill some petrol in the Tears Don't Fall mission and see if you can beat the guitar pedal mini game for a special surprise. Features voiceovers from BFMV frontman Matthew Tuck.
* AC/DC: For those about to rock, we bring you AC/DC Pinball Rocks! We present the bestselling rock title which lets you take the stage and bask in the colored lights, roaring guitars, and thundering drums of AC/DC. Includes classic AC/DC hits, original voiceovers from vocalist Brian Johnson, guitar-shredding mini-games, and AC/DC's most iconic set pieces. Ring Hell's bells, fire a cannonball salute, flick the switch to power up the power station, and take a ride with Rosie -- all in dazzling HD.
* SLAYER: Legends of metal meet the king of arcade games in one loud, fast, flipper-thrashing frenzy. Hyper-realistic pinball gameplay set to a backdrop inspired by the band's latest head-banging masterpiece, World Painted Blood. Includes music, original voice recordings from singer/bassist Tom Araya, guitar shredding mini-games, and a pinball environment straight out of your worst nightmare. Play it LOUD!
ALL GAMES FEATURE:
- Hyper-realistic physics engine
- Stunning 3D original art with extreme attention to detail
- Multiple camera angles: including Stereoscopic 3D-perspective, full table and smart cam
- In-Game store featuring all songs in the game with a simple one-click purchase option to own the tracks and download to your iTunes library, along with various add-ons to enhance gameplay.
- Horizontal and vertical gameplay
- Original voiceovers
- Rhythm mini-games
Pinball Rocks HD dials it up to 11 and is the biggest, baddest rock infused game ever. Get it today!