Despicable Me: Minion Rush Review
- Crisp graphics.
- Solid running with varied environments.
- Boss battles spice things up.
- Some may find the visuals a bit overwhelming.
- Nagging in-app purchase prompts.
- Essentially just another endless-runner.
Though it's yet another IAP-packed endless runner, Despicable Me: Minion Rush is a perfectly serviceable movie tie-in.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Temple Run has a lot to answer for. Since the monumental success of the 3D auto-runner, it has become the default template for developers looking to score an accessible, family-friendly hit.
Despicable Me: Minion Rush is the latest Gameloft movie tie-in to follow this trend. You take control of one of Gru's yellow helpers, whom you must direct left and right, up, and down towards collectable bananas, and away from oncoming hazards.
If you've ever played an endless runner, you know exactly where you stand with Despicable Me: Minion Rush. Occasionally, you'll run in to a boss battle. These usually involve dodging projectiles, and then turning them against your enemy. The camera will sometimes shift perspective, too, which initially caught us off-guard. There are also moments when you'll need to use your accellerometer to steer your yellow buddy down a chute. These variables keep you on your toes, although they interfere with the flow a little.
Gameloft has clearly done a lot ensure the game is visually interesting. The graphics are crisp and detailed, with the screen is constantly full of interest and activity. If anything, the frenetic visuals are a tad overwhelming, walking a fine line between dazzling and dizzying.
The actual running is very solid, though. As you would hope, your minion does what exactly what you tell it to. Hazards are varied, switching according to the ever changing environments. You can spend collected bananas on costumes, and power-ups such as freeze rays and shields. There's also a premium gold currency which you can pay real for. Unfortunately, the game is a bit pushy when it comes to squeezing you for upgrades, flashing at least two products at you after every run.
All in all, it's a very glossy example of the genre. I does feel a bit like the devs have thrown everything at the wall to ensure at least something sticks. Kids and fans of the film will likely enjoy the novelty of stepping to the Despicable Me universe. The rest of us might the exhuberant visuals a bit much to take. By all means give it a go, just don't come to us when your eyeballs have melted into yellow goo.
DescriptionExperience the brand-new Despicable Me: Minion Rush! Gru’s loyal, yellow, mischievous Minions are ready for their tastiest challenge yet: Collecting exotic fruits to make yummy jelly! Jump, roll, dodge and scramble against others in fun, fast-paced missions.
ALL THE FUN AND ANTICS OF DESPICABLE ME
• Enjoy unpredictably hilarious Minion moments
• Perform despicable acts through hundreds of missions
• Run through iconic locations that are full of surprises, secrets and tricky obstacles: Gru’s Lab, Gru’s Residential Area, El Macho’s Lair, Minion Beach and Super Silly Fun Land from Despicable Me
• Customize your Minion with unique costumes, weapons, and power-ups
• Battle Vector, El Macho, the Villaintriloquist and all the new villains exclusively created for the game
AN INNOVATIVE AND ORIGINAL GAME
• Encounter secret areas, unique boss fights and amazing power-ups
• Experience custom animation and voice-overs, and state-of-the-art 3D graphics
• Enjoy multiple dynamic camera angles
• Engage in various bonus gameplay modes:
→ Destroy things as Mega Minion
→ Collect bananas while riding the Fluffy Unicorn
→ Hang on to Gru’s Rocket for the ride of your life
→ Unlock a new Power-Up and get ready for a Mission to the Moon!
• Have fun with your friends! See their best scores during your run, send them funny Minion taunts and challenges to show them who’s going to win Minion of the Year!
You can download and play this game for free. Please be informed that it also allows you to play using virtual currency, which can be acquired as you progress through the game, or by deciding to watch certain advertisements, or by paying with real money. This app contains advertising messages. This game also allows social network connectivity in order to play with others, as well as advertising for Gameloft’s products or some third parties. Certain aspects of this game will require the player to connect to the Internet. You can disable in-app purchases by adjusting your device’s settings.
Visit our official site at http://www.gameloft.com
Follow us on Twitter at http://glft.co/GameloftonTwitter or like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Gameloft to get more info about all our upcoming titles.
Check out our videos and game trailers on http://www.youtube.com/Gameloft
Discover our blog at http://glft.co/Gameloft_Official_Blog for the inside scoop on everything Gameloft.
What's New in Version 2.0.1Welcome to the amazing Jelly Lab for a brand-new Despicable Me adventure! Gru’s greatest invention will make you enjoy Minion Rush like never before! Prepare for an exciting challenge, as the Minions need you to collect fruit from fun-filled locations to make the tastiest Jelly ever! In this new update, there are two new costumes to help you win more challenges: the Jelly Jar and Lucy disguise!
• Experience the game through the Jelly Lab and progress by accomplishing new types of missions.
• Play your way through the Jelly Lab and discover all the locations from the previous updates.
• If you’ve played the game before, don’t panic! You can use all your previous progress and achievements in this new, even more fun version of the game!
• Overall bug fixes and optimizations.