Despicable Me: Minion Rush Review
- Crisp graphics.
- Solid running with varied environments.
- Boss battles spice things up.
- Some may find the visuals a bit overwhelming.
- Nagging in-app purchase prompts.
- Essentially just another endless-runner.
Though it's yet another IAP-packed endless runner, Despicable Me: Minion Rush is a perfectly serviceable movie tie-in.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Temple Run has a lot to answer for. Since the monumental success of the 3D auto-runner, it has become the default template for developers looking to score an accessible, family-friendly hit.
Despicable Me: Minion Rush is the latest Gameloft movie tie-in to follow this trend. You take control of one of Gru's yellow helpers, whom you must direct left and right, up, and down towards collectable bananas, and away from oncoming hazards.
If you've ever played an endless runner, you know exactly where you stand with Despicable Me: Minion Rush. Occasionally, you'll run in to a boss battle. These usually involve dodging projectiles, and then turning them against your enemy. The camera will sometimes shift perspective, too, which initially caught us off-guard. There are also moments when you'll need to use your accellerometer to steer your yellow buddy down a chute. These variables keep you on your toes, although they interfere with the flow a little.
Gameloft has clearly done a lot ensure the game is visually interesting. The graphics are crisp and detailed, with the screen is constantly full of interest and activity. If anything, the frenetic visuals are a tad overwhelming, walking a fine line between dazzling and dizzying.
The actual running is very solid, though. As you would hope, your minion does what exactly what you tell it to. Hazards are varied, switching according to the ever changing environments. You can spend collected bananas on costumes, and power-ups such as freeze rays and shields. There's also a premium gold currency which you can pay real for. Unfortunately, the game is a bit pushy when it comes to squeezing you for upgrades, flashing at least two products at you after every run.
All in all, it's a very glossy example of the genre. I does feel a bit like the devs have thrown everything at the wall to ensure at least something sticks. Kids and fans of the film will likely enjoy the novelty of stepping to the Despicable Me universe. The rest of us might the exhuberant visuals a bit much to take. By all means give it a go, just don't come to us when your eyeballs have melted into yellow goo.
Description****** JOIN 750 MILLION PLAYERS WORLD-WIDE! *****
Race with the Minions in the award winning and fan favorite endless runner, Despicable Me: Minion Rush! Collect bananas as you jump, roll, dodge and scramble against others in fun-filled, fast-paced missions! Run as Carl, Jerry and Dave, get awesome costumes, play exciting mini-games and explore locations inspired by the Despicable Me movies!
ALL THE FUN OF DESPICABLE ME!
• Run through iconic locations from the movie and discover secret areas
• Enjoy unexpected Minion moments, like becoming a MEGA-MINION and riding the FLUFFY UNICORN or GRU’S ROCKET
• Use hilarious weapons and power-ups while competing with other players in Minion Races
• Battle exclusive villains such as Vector, El Macho and the Villaintriloquist
• Experience original animations, voice-overs and state-of-the-art 3D graphics created just for the game
You can download and play this game for free. Please be informed that it also allows you to play using virtual currency, which can be acquired as you progress through the game, or by deciding to watch certain advertisements, or by paying with real money. Purchases of virtual currency using real money are performed using a credit card, or other form of payment associated with your account, when you input your iTunes account password. You will not be asked to re-enter your credit card number or PIN. Once your iTunes account password is entered, your account will allow in-app purchases for 15 minutes. To restrict or disable in-app purchases, you can change the settings on your device.
This game contains advertising for Gameloft’s products or some third parties which will redirect you to a third-party site. You can disable your device’s ad identifier being used for interest-based advertising in the settings menu of your device. This option can be found in Settings -> Privacy -> Advertising.
Certain aspects of this game will require the player to connect to the Internet.
Visit our official site at http://www.gameloft.com
Follow us on Twitter at http://glft.co/GameloftonTwitter or like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Gameloft to get more info about all our upcoming titles.
Check out our videos and game trailers on http://www.youtube.com/Gameloft
Discover our blog at http://glft.co/Gameloft_Official_Blog for the inside scoop on everything Gameloft.
End-User License Agreement: http://www.gameloft.com/eula/?lang=en
What's New in Version 4.1.0Race into Halloween hijinks in the new Despicable Me: Minion Rush update!
- The Halloween Residential Area is here! Celebrate Halloween and perform more despicable deeds than anyone else!
- Dave is wearing two new Costumes this Halloween season! Get the Bride of Frankenstein and Ghost Costumes.
- Collect all of the spooky Toy Spiders, Toy Skulls and Halloween Candy during the new Special Mission: Haunted Hustle.
- Save the Minions from alien abduction by playing the new UFO mini-game.
- Go live with ReplayKit on iOS 10 and broadcast your despicable game sessions now.