Despicable Me: Minion Rush Review
- Crisp graphics.
- Solid running with varied environments.
- Boss battles spice things up.
- Some may find the visuals a bit overwhelming.
- Nagging in-app purchase prompts.
- Essentially just another endless-runner.
Though it's yet another IAP-packed endless runner, Despicable Me: Minion Rush is a perfectly serviceable movie tie-in.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Temple Run has a lot to answer for. Since the monumental success of the 3D auto-runner, it has become the default template for developers looking to score an accessible, family-friendly hit.
Despicable Me: Minion Rush is the latest Gameloft movie tie-in to follow this trend. You take control of one of Gru's yellow helpers, whom you must direct left and right, up, and down towards collectable bananas, and away from oncoming hazards.
If you've ever played an endless runner, you know exactly where you stand with Despicable Me: Minion Rush. Occasionally, you'll run in to a boss battle. These usually involve dodging projectiles, and then turning them against your enemy. The camera will sometimes shift perspective, too, which initially caught us off-guard. There are also moments when you'll need to use your accellerometer to steer your yellow buddy down a chute. These variables keep you on your toes, although they interfere with the flow a little.
Gameloft has clearly done a lot ensure the game is visually interesting. The graphics are crisp and detailed, with the screen is constantly full of interest and activity. If anything, the frenetic visuals are a tad overwhelming, walking a fine line between dazzling and dizzying.
The actual running is very solid, though. As you would hope, your minion does what exactly what you tell it to. Hazards are varied, switching according to the ever changing environments. You can spend collected bananas on costumes, and power-ups such as freeze rays and shields. There's also a premium gold currency which you can pay real for. Unfortunately, the game is a bit pushy when it comes to squeezing you for upgrades, flashing at least two products at you after every run.
All in all, it's a very glossy example of the genre. I does feel a bit like the devs have thrown everything at the wall to ensure at least something sticks. Kids and fans of the film will likely enjoy the novelty of stepping to the Despicable Me universe. The rest of us might the exhuberant visuals a bit much to take. By all means give it a go, just don't come to us when your eyeballs have melted into yellow goo.
DescriptionGru’s loyal, yellow, gibberish-speaking Minions are ready for their toughest challenge in Despicable Me: Minion Rush. Play as a Minion and compete with others in hilarious, fast-paced challenges in order to impress your boss, (former?) super-villain Gru! Jump, fly, dodge obstacles, collect bananas, be mischievous, and defeat villains to earn the title of Minion of the Year!
ALL THE HEART AND HUMOR OF DESPICABLE ME
• Enjoy unpredictably hilarious Minion moments
• Perform despicable acts through hundreds of missions
• Run through iconic locations that are full of surprises, secrets and tricky obstacles: Gru’s Lab, Gru’s Residential Area, El Macho’s Lair and the Minion Beach from Despicable Me.
• Customize your Minion with unique costumes, weapons, and power-ups
• Battle Vector, El Macho and an all-new villain exclusively created for the game
AN INNOVATIVE AND ORIGINAL GAME
• Encounter secret areas, unique boss fights and amazing power-ups
• Experience custom animation and voice-overs, and state-of-the-art 3D graphics
• Enjoy multiple dynamic camera angles
• Engage in various bonus gameplay modes:
→ Destroy things as Mega Minion
→ Collect bananas while riding the Fluffy Unicorn
→ Hang on to Gru’s Rocket for the ride of your life
• Have fun with your friends! See their best scores during your run, send them funny Minion taunts and challenges to show them who’s going to win Minion of the Year!
Visit our official site at http://www.gameloft.com
Follow us on Twitter at http://glft.co/GameloftonTwitter or like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Gameloft to get more info about all our upcoming titles.
Check out our videos and game trailers on http://www.youtube.com/Gameloft
Discover our blog at http://glft.co/Gameloft_Official_Blog for the inside scoop on everything Gameloft.
This app allows you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third party advertisements that may redirect you to a third party site.