Defense Technica Review
- Brings the old-skool pathing element of tower defence back.
- Each stage has multiple unlockable modes.
- Random upgrades are frustrating.
- Steers you towards in-app purchases a little too forcefully.
Despite its refeshingly old-skool slant, Defense Technica is a by-the-numbers tower defence game that is marred by its in-app purchase systems.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Defense Technica is a tower defence game which harks backs to early entries in the genre. While many modern TD games send enemies stomping towards you along pre-determined paths, Defense Technica makes you use your own towers to steer and funnel your enemies where you want them.
This old-skool formula is married with a card system that acts as a replacement for tower upgrades. Though these cards - which are bought via IAPs - are supposed to be an optional feature, the game does a very good job of making you dependant on free features that it decides to charge for later.
Take the Eagle Eye system, for example. It shows you the optimum path down which to direct incoming enemies via a green arrow. You'll want to use barricades or towers to block off the yellow and red arrow paths to give yourself the most breathing room. Eagle Eye is not essential, but seeing that it's free and so helpful, you soon become reliant. It's at that point that the game begins to charge you for it.
Your initial towers include a machine gun and a melee claw tower, with the more interesting and expensive towers unlocked by gaining the right card. You have to be careful when destroying blocks to make room in case you inadvertently hand the invading a clear path to victory. You can simply replace barricades with towers if you need additional fire-power, but it always seems that you're second guessing your placement, which can be problematic in the heat of battle.
Meanwhile, the upgrade cards - which cost a large amount of the in-app currency of crystals - are essentially random acquisitions. You pay for packs, and the cards may lower tower cost or speed up wealth, or even grant you a new tower. There's no way to predict what you'll receive, and it feels like more of a hindrance than a useful addition to the game.
Since the cards and crystals inform Defence Technica's design, you wind up with a game that leaves a skightly bitter taste in you mouth. The way the developers have approached the path-building is admirable, and might be enough to warrant a purchase, but only to the most dedicated tower defence players.
DescriptionThe genre-defining 3D Tower Defense game, Defense Technica! Think you know tower defense? Think again.
Experience a new kind of Defense game with Defense Technica, featuring stunning 3D graphics and ground-breaking new features like path rotation, tower construction, tower upgrades, and card collection and combination!
* Unsupported devices: iPhone 3GS, 3rd/4th Gen iPod Touch, iPad 1
* You may lose data if you update while playing as a guest.
* Please sign up for a Hub account before updating.
Defense Technica is the ultimate 3D Tower Defense Game! Check out these groundbreaking features:
Path Rotation & Tower Building
- Build towers in strategic places to defend against incoming enemies, and rotate paths.
- Upgrade towers to increase striking power against the waves of incoming enemies.
- Defeat enemies to receive a variety of resources to upgrade your tower.
Collect & Combine Tower Cards
- Use the special upgrade card system to create your own unique cards and upgrades.
- Sell or combine unwanted cards to get new cards.
Ether Repair & Attack Items
- Later stages and waves have stronger enemies and continuous attacks.
- Use Ether items to annihilate enemies and to repair your core.
* This game supports English, français, Deutsch, 한글, 中文 and 日本語.
* This is a singleplayer game. When deleting or initializing the game, please use the data backup/restoration service in options.
* Follow Com2uS on Twitter for the latest game updates! http://twitter.com/com2us
Connect with Com2uS!
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook!
For information on new games and special events, check out global.com2us.com!
What's New in Version 1.1.1The genre-defining 3D Tower Defense game, Defense Technica!
Now you can continue playing from where you left off as a guest, even after updating! Get back to battling enemies in space with great new updates and sales!
1. New skills added
2. New stage, "Another War", added
3. Additional Sub-Missions
4. Card Combination system changed to Card Enhancement system
- Now you can focus on enhancing your favorite card!
5. Other tweaks
- Added Equip Card button
- Easy viewing of tower information
6. Up to 50% sale on cards
Have feedback? Leave a review or drop us a line at [email protected]