Asphalt 8: Airborne Review
- Excellent arcade handling.
- Inventive and considered track design.
- Triple-boost system is a gas.
- Tons of content.
- Could afford to be a teensy-bit more generous with its currency rewards.
Asphalt 8: Airborne is a patchwork quilt of arcade racing tropes stitched together with skill and affection. Join the joyride.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Ashpalt 8: Airborne plays like a greatest hits compilation of arcade racers. Perhaps you enjoyed the powerslide from Outrun and Ridge Racer? Or the nitro boosts and takedown challenges from Burnout? Well, you'll find them all in Asphalt 8.
The good news is that rather than Gameloft simply ripping off aspects of other games and mashing them randomly together, the dev has managed create a polished, adrenaline-infused racer which is way more fun than it has any right to be.
One thing's for sure: it certainly isn't short of content. There are 8 seasons to race through, featuring a total of 180 races. You've got 47 licensed cars to purchase and upgrade. Game modes range from standard races and eliminations, to drifts challenges and a zombie-style infected mode. The tracks themselves often branch off in numerous directions, offering you several alternative routes to the finish line.
However, all of this is worth nothing if the racing isn't any fun. Luckily, racing finds should find themselves gelling with Ashpalt 8: Airborne's controls and physics from the moment the light turns green.
Both the tilt and touch control options put you confidently in command of your vehicle. Though the drifting isn't quite as smooth as in other arcade racers, the triple-tap boost - which gives you three tiers of nitrous boost - is incredibly satisfying to use. Timing precisely when to open the nitrous tanks is often the key to victory. Challenges are rarely a walk in the park, and you'll often find yourself scrapping for first right up to the chequered flag.
Likewise, deciding when to upgrade your existing ride and when to purchase a better one requires thought too. If you want to unlock seasons without spending any real money (and you really don't have) you must invest wisely, and make sure you grab all 5 stars from every race. Things get pretty tough towards the end, but races are rarely anything but a blast. Even when you're repeating challenges, you'll discover a new sidestreet or pull off an even better stunt, and you'll find excitement coursing through your body once again.
Though Asphalt 8: Airborne's parts may be borrowed, they have been skilfully assembled to build a highly entertaining vehicle. If you like your racing fast and furious, we suggest you take this one for a spin.
Description200 MILLION PLAYERS CAN’T BE WRONG!
TAKE A SPIN WITH THE FRONTRUNNER OF MOBILE RACING GAMES!
ACCLAIMED BY PLAYERS & THE PRESS!
“The iOS platform has quietly become a haven for great racers, and Asphalt 8 looks to be leading the pack right now.” - TouchArcade
WINNER: **2015 MWC Best Mobile Game App**
WINNER: **Winner of 2014 Pocket Gamer Best Sports/Racing Game Award**
PERFECT SCORE: ** 5/5 – TouchArcade**
PERFECT SCORE: ** 5/5 – AppSpy**
PERFECT SCORE: ** 5/5 – Slide to Play**
PERFECT SCORE: ** 100/100 – GameReactor**
PERFECT SCORE: ** 5/5 – MacLife**
LEAVE GRAVITY IN THE DUST!
• 140+ OFFICIAL SPEED MACHINES: Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Bugatti, Mercedes, Audi, Ford, Chevrolet… We got ‘em all!
• STUNNING GRAPHICS: Interactions between the vehicles, environments & tracks are a fully physics-based experience!
• ARCADE GAMEPLAY AT ITS FINEST: Feel the thrill of gravity-defying racing across 40+ high-speed tracks!
• THE ULTIMATE MULTIPLAYER RACING EXPERIENCE: Race in real-time multiplayer action for up to 12 opponents & dare your friends to ghost races!
• WIN BIG: Participate in our Limited-Time Events to stack up amazing & exclusive rewards!
• MASSIVE CONTENT DEPTH: 400+ career events, 1,500 car mastery challenges, 5 unique game modes, car collections. An endless stream of single-player content!
• CUSTOMIZE & UPGRADE YOUR RIDES: With over 2,300 decals, take down your opponents with style!
JOIN OUR RACER COMMUNITY!
• FACEBOOK: facebook.com/AsphaltGame
• YOUTUBE: youtube.com/c/AsphaltGames
• TWITTER: twitter.com/Asphalt
• INSTAGRAM: instagram.com/asphalt8
Visit our official site at http://www.gameloft.com
Follow us on Twitter at http://glft.co/GameloftonTwitter or like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Gameloft to get more info about all our upcoming titles.
Check out our videos and game trailers on http://www.youtube.com/Gameloft
Discover our blog at http://glft.co/Gameloft_Official_Blog for the inside scoop on everything Gameloft.
This app allows you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third-party advertisements that may redirect you to a third-party site.
End-User License Agreement: http://www.gameloft.com/eula/?lang=en
What's New in Version 2.8.1Enjoy your winter holidays with amazing new content!
- McLaren CHAMPIONSHIP: We will introduce, for the first time in Asphalt history, McLaren race cars! Take one of these beautiful high-performance racers for the ultimate test run around the world! Rack up Trophies as you beat challenges and earn big rewards to ultimately unlock the cars.
- NEW CAR LINEUP: A total of 8 new speedsters are coming, including the Aston Martin Vulcan and Mosler Land Shark. Look for them to come out one-by-one in the Shop over the coming weeks.
- JOIN THE HOLIDAY RUSH: Dashing down the course, on a holiday racing spree… Unlock a GIFT from all of us if you play this Cup daily! Get the BMW M2 for FREE just for racing in the Christmas Cup every day! Stay tuned on our Facebook page for the dates!
- NEW EVENTS: Get ready for new Enduro and R&D events! Participate in them to get a chance to make the Chevrolet Impala and Arash AF10 yours!