Asphalt 8: Airborne Review
- Excellent arcade handling.
- Inventive and considered track design.
- Triple-boost system is a gas.
- Tons of content.
- Could afford to be a teensy-bit more generous with its currency rewards.
Asphalt 8: Airborne is a patchwork quilt of arcade racing tropes stitched together with skill and affection. Join the joyride.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Ashpalt 8: Airborne plays like a greatest hits compilation of arcade racers. Perhaps you enjoyed the powerslide from Outrun and Ridge Racer? Or the nitro boosts and takedown challenges from Burnout? Well, you'll find them all in Asphalt 8.
The good news is that rather than Gameloft simply ripping off aspects of other games and mashing them randomly together, the dev has managed create a polished, adrenaline-infused racer which is way more fun than it has any right to be.
One thing's for sure: it certainly isn't short of content. There are 8 seasons to race through, featuring a total of 180 races. You've got 47 licensed cars to purchase and upgrade. Game modes range from standard races and eliminations, to drifts challenges and a zombie-style infected mode. The tracks themselves often branch off in numerous directions, offering you several alternative routes to the finish line.
However, all of this is worth nothing if the racing isn't any fun. Luckily, racing finds should find themselves gelling with Ashpalt 8: Airborne's controls and physics from the moment the light turns green.
Both the tilt and touch control options put you confidently in command of your vehicle. Though the drifting isn't quite as smooth as in other arcade racers, the triple-tap boost - which gives you three tiers of nitrous boost - is incredibly satisfying to use. Timing precisely when to open the nitrous tanks is often the key to victory. Challenges are rarely a walk in the park, and you'll often find yourself scrapping for first right up to the chequered flag.
Likewise, deciding when to upgrade your existing ride and when to purchase a better one requires thought too. If you want to unlock seasons without spending any real money (and you really don't have) you must invest wisely, and make sure you grab all 5 stars from every race. Things get pretty tough towards the end, but races are rarely anything but a blast. Even when you're repeating challenges, you'll discover a new sidestreet or pull off an even better stunt, and you'll find excitement coursing through your body once again.
Though Asphalt 8: Airborne's parts may be borrowed, they have been skilfully assembled to build a highly entertaining vehicle. If you like your racing fast and furious, we suggest you take this one for a spin.
Description*****LEAVE GRAVITY IN THE DUST*****
"The iOS platform has quietly become a haven for great racers, and Asphalt 8 looks to be leading the pack right now" -- Touch Arcade 5/5
"A brilliantly put together arcade racing package" -- Pocket Gamer 9/10 (Gold Award)
The best iOS arcade racing game series reaches a new turning point! Perform dynamic, high-speed aerial stunts in an intense driving experience powered by a brand-new physics engine!
LUXURY DREAM CARS
• 56 high-performance cars (80% NEW!)
• Top licensed manufacturers and models like the Lamborghini Veneno, Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari FXX and Pagani Zonda R
• Newly recorded high-fidelity motor sounds for realistic audio immersion.
• Hit the ramps and take the race upward
• Perform barrel rolls and wild 360º jumps
• Maneuver through the air while pulling off stunts
NEW EXOTIC LOCATIONS
• 9 different settings, such as Venice, French Guiana, Iceland, the Nevada Desert & other exciting locations!
• All tracks available in original and mirror variations in Career mode
• Discover plenty of hidden shortcuts
NEW FEATURES FOR SPEED FREAKS
• 8 seasons & 180 events in the Career mode
• Stunning visuals thanks to next-gen shaders, real-time geometry reflection & other amazing effects
• Check out the new Infected and Drift Gate modes
• Win prizes in the Limited-Time Cups!
• A detailed damage system
SIMULTANEOUS MULTIPLAYER & GHOST CHALLENGES
• Simultaneous multiplayer action for up to 8 opponents (not available for iPod touch 4th generation and iPhone 4)
• Dare friends to asynchronous races
• Compare scores on the new leaderboards with friends and drivers around the world
• Share your racing achievements and prove that you’re the ultimate speed machine
MUSIC TO REV YOUR SOUL
• A heart-thumping mix of amazing licensed music
• Featuring tracks from Bloc Party, Mutemath & The Crystal Method!
• Rearrange your touch controls however you want
For Arabic speakers:
.العبها الآن باللغة العربية، لتغيير اللغة اذهب الى قائمة الاعدادات في اللعبة
Visit our official site at http://www.gameloft.com
Follow us on Twitter at http://glft.co/GameloftonTwitter or like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Gameloft to get more info about all our upcoming titles.
Check out our videos and game trailers on http://www.youtube.com/Gameloft
Discover our blog at http://glft.co/Gameloft_Official_Blog for the inside scoop on everything Gameloft.
What's New in Version 1.3.1Overall bug fixes and optimizations.
"We're celebrating the Year of the Horse by adding some horsepower to the game with a whole new Asian-inspired racing location! Discover the Great Wall with your McLaren P1, Ferrari Testarossa or any of the other new dream cars, and share your journey with your friends using the brand-new Twitch broadcasting feature only on the App Store!
- Explore the Far East: Race through the gorgeous new Asian-inspired location, the Great Wall, which will provide 6 new tracks like you've never seen before -- but don’t get distracted by the beauty of the scenery or you might fall off the edge.
- Twitch integration: Connect with the Asphalt community on Twitch.tv to broadcast your gameplay online, share your biggest stunts, or take a look at your rivals’ skills. Think you’re the best driver? Prove it with Twitch!
- New cars coming: Stay tuned as we'll regularly release amazing new cars, including the unique 2014 McLaren P1, along with the iconic Ferrari Testarossa, and the powerful Dodge Challenger! More of a cross-country racing fan? The mighty 2014 Ford F-150 is there for you too!
- Immersion at its finest: Get hyped for the ride of your life with a new soundtrack and way more to discover!