Giant Boulder of Death Review
- Smooshing things with a big rock is inherently entertaining.
- Papercraft-esque visuals are charming.
- The sound cues become a little irritating.
- Overloaded with freemium trappings.
Adult Swim is known for creating good games based on funny concepts. Giant Boulder of Death would join those ranks were it not for its restrictive freemium structure.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
You might ask, “What motivation for destruction could a giant boulder possibly have to go on a gravity-powered killing spree?" That's a fair question, one that Adult Swim's Giant Boulder of Death attempts to answer. You see, a pompous general has turned your loved one into a statue of himself. So, in a fit of rage, our rocky hero decide to roll down a hill crushing everything in his path.
The game follows the endless-runner formula of play, upgrade, and then play some more. Tilting your iPhone or iPad will steer the boulder. You gain points for everything you hit that isn't a military installation. You see, for a huge lump of rock you're surprisingly fragile. Slamming into a spiked wall or homing mine will end your descent.
Instead of completing the usual trio of missions, you only tackle one goal at a time. Completing it will unlock more buildings and creatures to smoosh, which will deliver bigger bonuses. There's also a multiplier bar which increases each time you hit certain thresholds. Once filled, your boulder becomes the Invinciball, a rolling dervish of unstoppable destruction.
Of course, the Invinciball status wears out rather quickly. And, since there is no window of adjustment when you turn back into a boulder, often you'll be gleefully rolling over everything in your path when you return to your native form - usually directly infront of a spiked wall.
As the game is free, the progression feels a little slow, presumably in an effort to encourage you to spend real money on upgrades. As a result, the need to repeat levels to grind out currency does impact your enjoyment. The yodelling that accompanies the game over screen and Invinciball state also loses its charm due after the 30th death.
The quirkiness we've come to expect from Adult Swim is present here, but this idea doesn't feel as fleshed out or well-considered as Monsters Ate My Condo or Robot Unicorn Attack. It's fun for a little while, and costs nothing to give it a try. But unlike the mighty boulder that sits perched upon a hill, this game probably won't be able to whether the ages intact.
Description** iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users, we're aware of a menu bug that causes the game to be unplayable on the new devices. We will have a fix ASAP so you can keep smashing!! **
When a boulder holds a grudge, no one survives. Bowl your way down the mountain and destroy everything in your path. Crush villages, cars, yetis, golden cows, crush everything! From the creators of Robot Unicorn Attack 2 and Monsters Ate My Condo!
Check out the AMAZING new premium Heavy Metal theme!
• Meet our biggest, baddest avatar yet - Metal Boulder!
• Screamalicious new Heavy Yodel music!
• SUMMON your avatar of choice: The Original Boulder, Happy Holiboulder, Jack O'Boulder or Ms. Boulder
• STEAM through new goal trees specific to each boulder
• ANNIHILATE brand new objects in each theme
• CONQUER Game Center Achievements and Leaderboards!
• CRUSH legions of outrageous mortals, beasts and buildings
• SMASH through over 250 nail-biting goals to unlock over 100 destructible objects
• OBLITERATE your high score with boosts and upgrades
• DOMINATE your friends via Facebook. Connect and SMASH through their avatars!
WEAR your finest lederhosen with renewed pride and REVEL in the century’s most yodel-tastic (and FREE) gaming sensation!
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/adultswimgames
Twitter - https://www.twitter.com/adultswimgames
Our Website - http://www.games.adultswim.com
What's New in Version 1.4.1** iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users, we're aware of a menu bug that causes the game to be unplayable on the new devices. We will have a fix ASAP so you can keep running!! **
• Japanese text localization
• Reverted to original app icon
• Various other Optimizations & Fixes