Infinity Blade III Review
- Publisher: Chair Entertainment Group, LLC
- Genre: Entertainment
- Released: 18 Sep, 2013
- Size: 1.7 GB
- Price: $6.99
- Still the best gesture-based fighter available on iOS.
- Leveling characters and weapons is rewarding.
- Loads of enemies and arenas.
- New combos and forging options let you customise your own fighting style.
- Overpowered bosses force you to repeat earlier levels.
- Grinding for XP can cause battle fatigue.
Though its grindier moments don't completely gel with its level-based structure, Infinity Blade III is a handsome and often thrilling end to a landmark series.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
So here we are again. Infinity Blade has returned for what may be its final episode of slashtastic god-battering action. The world is bigger, the weapons are more plentiful, and the RPG elements have been applied with a little more vigour. There's even a more traditional linear structure, which funnels your warriors through specific stages and locations in a set order.
But, while the beast may have grown and visited an armoury, its beating heard remains unchanged. Infinity Blade III is still about slashing oversized monsters to death using your finger, allowing you to deal fatal blows with a pinky, and fell gods with a gesture.
Accompanying Sirus on his quest is Isla, a female fighter who happens to be equally adept at chopping titans down to size. Both characters now have three fighting styles to choose from. You can focus on perfecting the art of dual-weilding, or push experience points into light or heavy weapon use. Each discipline has its own perks and penalties - powerful two-handed weapons pack a wallop but leave you unable to dodge, while dual-wielding yields deal less damage, but lets you leap around the battlefield like Yoda in that crap Star Wars movie.
The fighting itself feels incredibly familiar. When it comes to this kind of gesture-based fighting the Infinity Blade series is second to none, and this instalment manages to deliver the same thrills as its predecessors.
Perfectly executing a series of parries before letting fly with a furious flurry of sword strokes still gets the blood pumping, and the wide variety of enemy types keeps scuffles pretty fresh. There are a few tweaks - weapon specific combos and the occasional quick-time ruckus with a dragon - but Infinity Blade die-hards should find themselves immediately at home.
It's when you step off the battlefield that you notice the big changes. A linear story replaces the rudimentary kill-them-all-for-killing's-sake structure of the previous games. However, while the story adds a definite sense of purpose and momentum, its thrust is easily lost amid the inevitable retreading of previous areas.
You see, despite the switch to a linear narrative, the game still kicks you back to the beginning of each chapter when killed by the boss. These bosses are often tens of levels more powerful than you, and are deliberately designed to hand you your diced buttocks on the first encounter. When this happens, the game advises you to return to a previous level and grind out some more experience.
This is where the RPG elements take hold. Stats need to be levelled, unlocking abilities and bonuses. Better weapons and armour must be purchased. Existing blades upgraded with enchanted gems, of improved with the help of a blacksmith.
It's a costly business. And, if you don't want to pay out for in-app purchases, it's going to take you a substantial amount of backtracking to accumulate the currency required to give you warriors a fighting chance against some of the bigger bosses.
If all you were looking for from Infinity Blade III was more of the same, then this game should put a big tick your box. We found the low-level grinding to be a bit of a pain, especially when there's supposedly a story to be told. And, with the same gameplay foundations propping up a lengthier campaign padded with restarts, this episode runs the risk of outstaying its welcome. Niggles aside, though, this is a confident end to a platform-defining franchise, one which should keep fans plenty busy over the coming weeks.
DescriptionWhat the press is saying about Infinity Blade III:
**USA TODAY: 4 out of 4 - "Another fantastic epic!"
**TOUCH ARCADE: 5 out of 5 - "ChAIR raises graphical bar to low earth orbit"
**IGN: "A gorgeous, intense, and rewarding adventure!"
**MODOJO: "The big, beautiful sequel we've been waiting for"
**KOTAKU: "More powerful than ever"
**AppSpy – 5 out of 5 – “A platform-defining series”
The award-winning Infinity Blade video game trilogy reaches its epic conclusion!
Created by ChAIR Entertainment, the original iOS blockbuster returns with adrenaline-fueled sword-fighting action, gorgeous visuals, and a thrilling story of love, betrayal, and redemption.
Siris and Isa have joined with the God-King Raidriar in a desperate attempt to destroy the Worker of Secrets and his army of Deathless titans. Uncover new mysteries to wield the power of the Infinity Blade in this timeless adventure of champions and villains.
RESPONSIVE AND INTUITIVE TOUCH CONTROLS
Attack, dodge, block, and cast devastating spells - all with the simple swipe of a finger.
SIMPLE NAVIGATION Easy to use, tap-to-move controls enable players to effortlessly navigate and explore while searching for collectable items such as treasure, swords, shields, armor and other magical rewards.
DYNAMIC 3D WORLD
Explore larger, beautiful and immersive environments that dynamically change as you choose multiple gameplay paths, new quests, side missions, and ClashMob engagements with the new in-game World Map interface.
TWO PLAYABLE CHARACTERS
Battle all-new enemies as both the legendary hero Siris, and the stealthy female warrior-thief, Isa, each with three unique combat styles and hundreds of fantastic weapons and items.
Discover and unlock allies to join your cause at your all-new base of operations. Here, you’ll encounter the Gemcutter, Potionmaster, Blacksmith, and Merchant, who will help you unlock incredible new strength and skills.
GLOBAL CLASHMOB CHALLENGES
Three new modes! Team up with players from around the globe for unique "massively social,” group-based challenges to defeat new enemies, unlock rare treasures and earn exclusive items.
All-new Goals feature takes achievements to the next level, allowing players to earn valuable Chips that they can spend on keys, treasure maps, prize wheels, and other rare in-game items.
NEW iOS FEATURES POWERED BY UNREAL ENGINE TECHNOLOGY
Epic Games’ Unreal Engine technology powers the definitive visual experience in mobile gaming, complete with cloud saves and HDMI output.
- The most detailed story scenes ever shown on a mobile device, featuring the voice talents of fan-favorites John Noble and Troy Baker.
- Animated “Infinity Blade: Origins” short film by acclaimed director Ben Hibon.
- The in-game debut of “Monster,” an original new song from internationally acclaimed rock band Imagine Dragons.
Play across all supported devices - iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Mini, or iPod Touch 5 - for a single low price.
- IMPORTANT: It is strongly recommended users update to iOS 7 before purchasing or updating Infinity Blade III.
- Supports full iPhone 5 resolution, iPod 5, iPad 4th generation, and iPad mini - and it looks amazing!
- PARENTS: you can turn off In-App purchasing in the iOS settings.
What's New in Version 1.3.1Thanks again to all of our amazing players for their continued support of Infinity Blade III!
Follow @InfinityBlade for all the latest news.
INFINITY BLADE III: Blade Masters
- Meet the Collector, an ancient Deathless Blade Master who seeks to acquire the finest weapons ever crafted.
- Gripping his Solar Trans blade tight, RYTH RETURNS in his eternal quest to find worthy opponents to face him in the ultimate duel!
- New TRAINER feature! Enhance your skills and refine your technique battling with the Hideout's new Training Bot.
- Introduction of Beginners Tournaments to allow newer players to compete against other new players with similar skill levels.
- New CUSTOMIZE feature! Added to the Character Menu is the all-new Customize screen, allowing you to change the COLOR of Siris and Isa's armor, select a unique STYLE animation, view characters of your MYMOB friends, and even take a SELFIE!
- New GOAL CHASE feature! Compare your MyMob friends goal progress with chase tracking!
- Unlock ability to Master Items up to LVL 50!
- 4 new Treasure Maps!
- 6 new Enemies to battle!
- Over 25 new items for Isa and Siris, including magic rings, weapons, shields, helmets, and armors to collect, master, and sell.
- New Holiday Helms for Isa and Siris.
- New Goals and Achievements.
- Now translated into 2 additional languages: Latin American Spanish and Indonesian.
- A number of additional balancing tweaks, bug fixes, and gameplay enhancements.
- Players can now link directly to Customer Care via Options Menu
Also includes content updates INFINITY BLADE III: Ausar Rising (Update 1.2), and INFINITY BLADE III: Soul Hunter (Update 1.1).
Recommended: Update device to the latest iOS version, install IB3 update, and restart device before playing.
Parents: You can turn off In-App purchasing in the iOS settings.
Follow @Infinityblade on Twitter