Papa Sangre II Review
- Publisher: Playground Publishing B.V.
- Genre: Action
- Released: 24 Oct, 2013
- Size: 290.8 MB
- Price: $4.99
- A richly-detailed collection of eerie soundscapes to explore.
- Binaural 3D sound works to thrilling effect.
- Excellent voice work.
- Ingenious use of the iDevice's capabilities.
- To get the full experience, you have to play on your own, in the dark, and standing up.
- Some may find the whole thing a bit daft.
Building on its predecessor's creepy legacy, Papa Sangre II's surreal sonic delights make it a must-play for survival-horror fans.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Papa Sangre II is a game you play in the dark, on your own, and preferably with eyes closed. Rather than showing you horrific images of monsters and bloodied bodies, this unusual survival horror game pulls you into its surreal world filled of forgotten memories and brain-sucking insects using the power of sound alone.
Guided by a the disembodied voice of Sean Bean, you must explore the afterlife in the hope of finding a way back to the land of the living. You're dead, by the way. Sorry.
If you want to play Papa Sangre II, you're going to need some headphones. The game uses binaural 3D to give the illusion that there are sounds coming from all around you. It also uses you iPhone or iPad's accelerometer work out in which direction you're facing.
At first, you'll be trying to recapture lost memories to keep disembodied guide happy. The memories let off a kind of audio beacon, allowing you to pinpoint their location. Once you have the memory in front of you, you tap out footsteps on the screen to walk forward and collect it.
However, the rooms in which these memories dwell often contain water pits, angry spirits, and insects which devour memories whole. It's up to you to listen carefully, work out exactly where these threats lie, and then steer yourself away from danger. Sometimes you'll be chased by enemies, forcing you to turn and run. Try to run too fast, though, and you risk tripping over your own feet, leaving you
Soon, you have to step into the memories themselves, often with nightmarish consequences. You might be blasting an advancing army of possessed shooting gallery ducks one minute, and trying to escape from a burning building the next.
To get the most from Papa Sangre II, you have to commit to the experience. Though you can play it by sitting down and swiping the touchscreen to turn around, you really want to be standing up in a darkened room with your eyes shut and your headphones cranked up.
Some may find themselves frustrated by the wilfully outlandish concepts and silly story, or just feel a bit daft spinning around on the spot while the cat looks on with judgemental eyes. However, if, like me, you've spent so long wandering the streets of Silent Hill that you involuntarily tense up at the sound of radio static, then Papa Sangre II's collection immersive soundscapes should flick your rusty, blood-streaked switch.
DescriptionIf you are reading this, you are already dead. There is no App Store, there is no iPhone and there is no game called Papa Sangre. They are all lies. Do not trust your eyes, they deceive you. To get back to the other side you must follow your instincts and fight for your life.
***iPhone 4 & iPod 4 are not supported, but the game works perfectly on iPhone 4S.***
Papa Sangre II is a survival horror game told entirely through sound. It starts at your inevitable end. You are dead, and must hunt for memories from the deceased to get back to the other side. Trapped in the peculiar afterlife of Papa Sangre, your guide is the voice of Sean Bean (Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones). Death for you is just the beginning.
* An innovative and truly immersive “audio only” survival horror game.
* Starring the voice of Sean Bean (Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings)
* Explore the all-new world of Papa Sangre II and enter his Museum of Memories
* 18 levels of cinema-quality 3D sound design – you won’t believe your ears
* Fully accessible and simple to use interface
* Powered by the most immersive and impressive graphics technology you’ll ever experience: your mind
* You will be running from monsters, avoiding traps and shooting ducks. All guided by audio only
Papa Sangre II is available in English language only.
Praise for Papa Sangre II:
* "It appealed to me because it seemed unique, something different from the regular games out there. Rather more surreal." - Sean Bean, Actor (from interview with The Verge)
* 93% MetaCritic Score, highest score for all iOS games from 2013.
* "An experience that's brimming with inventive ways to use the audio-focused format." - The Verge
* "Incredibly immersive. This world is full of crackly, weird, unsettling noises, and all of them seem to be within reach." - The Guardian
* "There’s so much to experience here, players will be unable to put it down." - 148 Apps (4.5 / 5 + Editor's Choice)
* "An incredibly immersive audio adventure that will make you feel like you've died and gone to... somewhere else." - SlideToPlay (4/4)
* "A brilliantly realised audio adventure, Papa Sangre II is a creepy masterpiece" - PocketGamer (9/10 + Gold Award)
* “Building on its predecessor's creepy legacy, Papa Sangre II's surreal sonic delights make it a must-play” – AppSpy (5/5)
* "The concept is so smart and so well executed stylistically that you really feel drawn into something different." - The Independent
* "If you're into new novel games, then this will really do it for you." - SkyNews
* "I've just tested it out on my mum she loved it I've never seen her smile so much!" - Midlife Gamer (The author’s mother is blind)
Papa Sangre II – Powered by your fear.
Connect with Papa Sangre on Twitter: @papasangre
Like Papa Sangre on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/papasangregame
Find out more about Papa Sangre: http://www.papasangre.com
You can find out more about Playground Publishing on our home base here: www.plgnd.com.