Joe Dever's Lone Wolf Review
- Attempts to shake up some of the more lacklustre elements of the gamebook genre.
- The animated art and orchestral score make for an immersive experience.
- The quick time events are a pain.
- Health is too easily lost, and checkpointing is harsh.
Though gamebook fans will appreciate the attempt to inject some life into the genre, Lone Wolf's ambitious but undercooked combat system proves more of an obstruction than an asset.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Gamebooks may be a niche market, but it is amazing how many people have fond memories of them. Relying on people's nostalgia for the '80s has worked for many gamebook publishers, and now Joe Dever, author of the infamous Lone Wolf series has thrown his hat into the fray with a new four part saga. With the release of Steve Jackson's excellent Sorcery! earlier this year, however, Lone Wolf has its work cut out for it. It's an interesting take on the genre, but one which creates as many problems as it solves.
You start your adventure by picking your character's traits and abilities Every time there is a choice to be made in the story, a seal will appear, taking you to a separate page where three optins await you. Usually, one or two of these choices will be greyed out. The choices available will depend on which attributes you selected for your character. Do you approach problems with caution, or are you the kick-down-the-door type? Do you have psychic powers, or enhanced strength? All roads lead to Rome, as they say, and there is no wrong answer.
The character sheet is available at all times, allowing you to access your inventory, journal, and skills. These screens are cluttered and a little obtuse, so we spent as little time in menus as possible.
Beyond the storytelling and decision making, the actual meat of the game is the combat. Like Sorcery!, Lone Wolf does its best to make combat more interesting than rolling a few animated dice. Unlike Sorcery!, though, the Lone Wolf team has attempted to integrate a full 3D combat system into the game, featuring magic, melee, ranged, attacks. Potions are also available to you to heal your wounds or boost your stamina. Stamina recharges over time, but is also crucial for parrying and negating incoming attacks.
Most attacks are linked to a quick time event that either has you tapping in time to onscreen prompts, swiping in a particular direction, or mashing the screen to build up energy. While most of the systems work, these QTEs demand a lot of precision. As any fault will instantly negate your attack or defence, combat quickly becomes a pain. And, since combat how you spend most of your time outside of the narrative, the irritation you feel begins to sour the experience.
Those who love their gamebooks or enjoy a good fantasy yarn will likely be able to look past the combat issues, and will enjoy the story on its own terms. Everyone else will probably find the annoying quick time event a deal breaker.
Please restart your device after installing the application. This will improve game stability and performance!
Joe Dever's Lone Wolf is compatible with iPad 2 and up, iPhone 4S and up and iPod touch 5th generation. It does NOT run on iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4th generation or iPad 1.
Special Deal: Season Pass, including all four acts. Be part of the fight against the Darklords of Helgedad.
"Half gamebook and half action RPG, Joe Dever's Lone Wolf is one adventure that fans of either genre will enjoy from start to finish" – PocketGamer.co.uk
"Lone Wolf has got my attention and I definitely want to see more" – TouchArcade
"Lone Wolf […] is highly exceptional and unique" – 148apps
"Joe Dever’s Lone Wolf - Act 2: Forest Hunt is an interactive story with beautiful graphics and fights that literally jump off the pages." - Gamer.nl
- This game is fully translated into English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
- It is compatible with iPad 2 and up, iPhone 4S and up and iPod touch 5th generation. It does NOT run on iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4th generation or iPad 1.
ACT 2 – Forest Hunt
“Night is drawing a dark cloak over the Sunken Forest. You shiver with anticipation; with the darkness will come danger…”
Your adventure continues! Explore the frontier between the Kingdom of Sommerlund and the dreaded Darklands, face new powerful enemies and uncover the truth behind the attack on the village of Rockstarn!
Season Pass: Get episodes 2,3 and 4 at best price. Be part of the fight against the Darklords of Helgedad.
ACT 2: “FOREST HUNT” NOW AVAILABLE!
The story continues in the Sunken Forest, with meaningful choices, alternative paths, brand-new 3D locations and a magical minigame that will put your wits to the test!
Last but not least, “Forest Hunt” features one of the most iconic and fearsome enemies you could face in Lone Wolf’s world: are you ready to face the fearsome Gourgaz?
THE VIDEO GAME WHERE YOU ARE THE HERO
Lone Wolf is back, as a video game series with a brand-new story, a new combat system, stunning graphics and much more! Make meaningful choices and carve your own path through this epic non-linear story. Test your strength with the dynamic turn-based combat system, prove your skill with the lock-picking minigame and accept the challenge of wits posed by the mysterious Shianti Cube!
The author Joe Dever has been working with the studio, involving himself in the story writing so it fits with the original continuity, while also shedding a new light on the fabled world of Magnamund.
For Sommerlund and the Kai!
Unlock Act 2 in the in-game shop or pre-purchase all episodes with the Season Pass. If you have already purchased the Season Pass, Act 2 will be launched automatically when you finish Act 1 or when you load a proper game save.
• A brand-new adventure written by Joe Dever!
• New contents, hand-drawn illustrations, 3D locations and powerful enemies enrich your adventure with the release of every new Act -discover what “Forest Hunt” holds for you
• Enhanced gamebook experience through stunning 3D graphics, with a deep and dark redesign of Lone Wolf, his world and his enemies
• Create your character and try out different combinations of Kai Disciplines, traits and gear
• Write your own story through multiple choices
• A real combat system, where your prowess really counts –no random number table or dice to throw!
• The legendary Sword of the Sun, with its own special attacks
• A real medieval tome with hand-drawn illustrations
• Lockpicking and puzzle mechanics to add an extra layer of skill and strategy
• Play again, make different choices and explore new paths and fighting styles!
What's New in Version 2.1- Cloud saves integration
- Memory usage optimization
- Generic bugfix
- A surprise for the loyal Season Pass subscribers