Eliss Infinity Review
- Cool retro style
- Finger knotting action
- Constantly introduces fresh challenges
- It gets tricky fast
- Tutorial and early stages drag on a little
Eliss Infinity is a fun and challenging action management game that offers greater rewards the more time you invest.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Steph Thirion's Eliss Infinity is, put simply, a game about disc disposal.
You're tasked with keeping a series of spawning circles out of each other's way, until you are able to drag them into black hole and remove them from the field of play.
At first, this is as straightforward as it sounds. Each disk randomly fades into existence around the screen. It's up to you to move them into matching holes with whichever fingers you have spare. The stage is only complete when the required number of these holes has been filled.
In some ways, Eliss Infinity feels a bit like playing air hockey by yourself. Like air pucks, these circles are subject to momentum. Drag a circle calmly toward a hole and it will drift in gently. But flick one hard and the force will send it whizzing across the screen.
As with all plate spinning challenges, the difficulty increases along with the number of objects. The addition of different coloured disks into the 8-bit neon world is the first extra complication, meaning only circles of the same colour can safely touch. This is manageable with only a few disks on screen, but as more begin to appear you'll find yourself running out of space - and fingers - alarmingly quickly
To clear up onscreen clutter, can merge discs of the same colour together. This allows you to reduce the screen to one or two huge circles, rather than micromanaging dozens of smaller ones.
However, you'll have to pull these super circles apart again if you want to populate the holes, an act that will send discs zooming around the screen in a chaotic fashion.
Despite its difficulty, Eliss Infinity is always fair. Once you've got your head around the mechanics, you'll find it a compulsive puzzler that offers greater satisfaction the deeper you dive.
DescriptionThe "Most Innovative Game" award-winning multitouch puzzler is back!
Use your fingers to control all the planets, fuse planets together until they become giant, or split them into halves until they become tiny, you're in charge of this reactive universe. Just don't let different colors touch!
Eliss is an award winning and critically praised game, with innovative multitouch gameplay, a stylish and fluid procedural design, dynamic sounds, and a superb soundtrack. It's a fast-paced puzzle/action game that will push your limits as a player.
Eliss Infinity includes:
• Infinity, a new game, this time endless and score based. Line up bigger combos to increase your score and receive larger powerups. This is the most fun and replayable Eliss has ever been.
• Odyssey, the original game with its 25 levels, polished and this time with an interactive tutorial, and an unlockable music arpeggiator.
• Spacebox, a new mode where you can generate planets and play with them without losing. Train your skills, release your stress, or let the younger children play.
• A new slick look, and new features like warnings of future collisions, for a more pleasurable experience. And for the nostalgic, the option to revert to the original look.
• More music: two epic songs for Infinity, along with the four superb songs from Odyssey.
• Universal support. For the first time, Eliss works natively on all iOS devices and screens. This game has never felt this great.
• Sync. Your progress can be saved on your Game Center account, so you can continue playing from any device, and multiple users can make their own progress on the same device.
• Leaderboards and challenges. Accept a challenge from a friend and track it from within the game.
• All of this wrapped within an original, brand new big pixel interface, beautifully designed from scratch. This game feels as splendid as your iOS device.
Praise for the original Eliss:
* "A puzzler that's perfect for the iPhone."
* "There's no game in the AppStore that uses multitouch so fully. Eliss is not to be missed."
* "A multitouch marvel and indie favourite. This is puzzle gaming at its most intuitive."
* "There's nothing else like Eliss."
Cult Of Mac:
* "The multi-touch controls are a revelation."
* "One of the most essential games for the platform."
What's New in Version 1.1- new: Game Center achievements,
- new: Gems (achievements counterparts within Eliss interface),
- new: Infinity score displays visualization of recent supernovas,
- new: immediate visual feedback shows if planet should be bigger or smaller,
- new: planet-grab anim and sound,
- improved: damage sound now positional making it easier to locate collisions by sound when using headphones,
- improved: portals will now only rarely overlap,
- improved: removed 5 fingers limitation on iPad, now allows up to 11,
- new: unlocking a mode displays an animation during game,
- new unlock flow: tutorial -> infinity -> odyssey after 5000 pts -> sandbox after 3 sectors,
- improved: Infinity difficulty: gentler difficulty curve until 4000 points,
- improved: Odyssey difficulty: less supernovas required in many sectors,
- improved: tutorial better at teaching disc-portal matching, collision, multitouch and infinity combos,
- improved: infinity nova score to stay on screen longer,
- improved: pause takes to modes screen instead of home,
- improved: resume button more obvious,
- improved: help pages,
- improved: arp button now in Odyssey screen (appears after beating sector 1),
- fixed: bug with syncing offline progress with online progress,
- fixed: bug with infinity best score flag,
- and more miscellaneous tweaks and fixes.