FLASHOUT 2 Review
- Tracks look smart enough
- Fast ships
- Responsive controls
- Derivative design
- Uninspired, repetitive tracks
- Opponents disappear as lights turn green, and you spend the whole race trying to catch them
Flashout 2 takes huge inspiration from the WipEout series, but even though it is technically competent, its lack of imagination leave it feeling like a pale imitation.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
If you are going to copy something, copy the best. We have to assume that is what Jujubee was thinking when it developed Flashout 2. Generously, you could think of it as an homage to Sony’s WipEout series, but it sticks so closely to the source material - right down to the graphic design - that it simply feels like a pale imitation.
Races take place on metallic tracks that loop high above futuristic cityscapes. Though each track is littered with boosts, weapons, and jumps, they fail to establish any sense of place, anonymously bleeding into one another. Even the neon lights and directional markers that fleck each course manage to look bland.
You can steer you craft by tilting your device left or right, with weapons and boosts activated with a tap of the screen. It all works exactly as intended, but the lack of left / right airbreak and no way to control the weight distribution of your craft makes speeding around the narrow circuits feel like a crude enterprise.
This might suggest that races are easy, but this is far from the case. As the light turns green, the other craft shoot off, leaving you playing catch-up for the rest of the race. Its a lazy way to increase difficulty, and one that leaves you cursing shortcomings in your vehicle rather than your skill.
Flashout 2’s anti-grav racer all look the part, ranging from winged spaceships to narrow manned bullets. You can upgrade your craft, but no amount of fine tuning will ever make it a match for the next class of racer. This results in you constantly saving money to buy a new vehicle, rather than trying to tweak your current ride. This is clearly to incentivise investment in the game’s in-app purchases, but its poor implementation just makes the leveling process disheartening.
We know that games are built on the shoulders of what went before. Flashout 2, however, seems to be happy to scoot along on to WipEout's coat tails, and monetise the result in a lacklustre fashion. The end result is a serviceable hover racer, but one that is totally unremarkable.
DescriptionPLEASE NOTE: Due to high-quality graphics this game is not recommended for the iPhone 4. The game is not compatible with the iPod touch 4th.
FLASHOUT 2, the sequel to the highly-acclaimed anti-gravity racer FLASHOUT 3D is finally here! Get into one of many ultra-fast ships and use your arsenal of rockets, guns, bonuses and upgrades to fight your way to victory!
FLASHOUT 2 offers a fresh and addicting racing experience featuring a redesigned and enhanced Career Mode with story elements, massive improvements in matter of steering, physics, opponent’s AI, and other gameplay elements, an Online Multiplayer Mode and introduces completely new and exciting game modes, such as Destruction, Elimination and Versus!
FLASHOUT 2 also features high-end console-quality graphics, some of the best and most accessible controls to allow you to focus on pure action, amazing licensed electronic music and game controllers support! Additionally the game offers a unique interactive equalizer, that analyzes in-game music and accordingly determines, in real-time, what the visual effects look like!
Features and highlights:
- Amazing racing experience!
- Addicting and enhanced Career Mode!
- Free Online Multiplayer with different game modes!
- Console-quality high-end graphics!
- Full Retina support!
- Licensed electronic music!
- 10 highly-detailed futuristic circuits (Los Angeles, London, Paris, Warsaw, Moscow, Frankfurt and more)!
- Dozens of challenging races!
- New and unique game modes (Destruction, Elimination, Versus)!
- Upgradeable, super-fast ships!
- Weapons and guns!
- Precise, fun and awesome controls!
- Full accelerometer support!
- Many cool and useful bonuses!
- Clever AI, adapting to your style of play!
- Interactive Equalizer – music affects graphics!
- Gorgeous visual effects!
- Additional effects on devices with A7 chips!
- Several control layouts!
- Vibrations (if supported by device)!
- Apple TV and TV Out support!
- Leaderboards and achievements via Game Center!
- Universal App!
- Facebook and Twitter integration!
- Certified controllers support!
- And more!
Supported languages: English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Polish, Japanese, Korean, Portugese, Russian, Chinese
What's New in Version 1.5SUPERB UPDATE - NEW CONTENT ADDED!
- 10 new music tunes added!;
- Continue button bug fixed (countdown timer added)!;
- Minor bug fixes!;
- And more!
Thank you all for your support - you are the best!