Boom Beach Review
- Asymmetric PvP proves surprisingly engrossing
- Strategic base reconstruction in response to attacks is satisfying
- Looks fantastic
- Things really do stall at times if you aren’t making in-app purchases
While undeniably similar similar to developer Supercell’s previous success Clash of Clans, Boom Beach features just enough tactical tweaks to keep the formula fresh.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Boom Beach is developer Supercell's follow-up to the phenomenally successful Clash of Clans. This lineage is obvious the moment you boot up the app, with the cartoony visuals, resource management, and tower defense-style battles echoing its fantasy-inspired ancestor.
However, rather than dump you in a Nordic netherword, Boom Beach has you establishing a base on a small tropical island. Your army has arrived to battle the evil Blackguard forces that have captured the surrounding islands, and enslaved their native inhabitants.
The game’s base-building mechanic has you developing a range of military and infrastructure upgrades to support your efforts. As with Clash of Clans, you can speed-up production through in-app purchases. The combat and upgrade systems are introduced at quite a clip, with the finer strategic details brushed over. This is easily forgiven, however, as you can move structures at any time, meaning you can adapt and learn as you play.
This flexibility blends well with Boom Beach’s PvP mode. When you're offline, other players can attack your island. While you cannot see battles as they play out, a replay function lets you discover holes in your defences, allowing you to patch them up afterwards. As the matchmaking pairs you with players of a similar rank, battles are extremely rewarding when you win, and educational when you lose.
When you attack other structures, your troops leap from a landing craft onto the beach and move towards the nearest structure, soaking up incoming fire as the go. An offshore gunboat does offer some support, providing flares to guide your troops, medkits to heal them, and even missiles to destroy enemy structures. These tools deliver the moment-to-moment action in battle, letting you engage in the surprisingly thrilling juggling act of firing your gunboat’s weapons, while haphazardly directing your troops past enemy forces and towards priority targets with flares.
Like its smash hit predecessor, Boom Beach is an addictive free-to-play game that allows you to enjoy most of what it has to offer for free, provided you don't mind waiting a little. While your progression will slow if you don't splash out on IAPs, the banding of the PvP and constant Blackguard battles mean that you will never be without things to do while you grind your way up the ranks.
DescriptionStorm the beach and win the day! Boom Beach is a combat strategy game where you fight an epic war against the evil Blackguard. Take your expeditionary force to beautiful paradise islands invaded by the enemy. Fight for every beachhead, free enslaved islanders and explore the uncharted archipelago. The fight becomes a race to harness the ancient powers hidden on the islands. Are you ready for the BOOM?
PLEASE NOTE! Boom Beach is completely free to play. However, some game items can also be purchased for real money. If you don't want to use this feature, please disable in-app purchases in your device's settings.
- explore a huge tropical archipelago full of danger and treasure
- play with thousands of other players, raid their bases and enjoy the spoils of war
- attack hundreds of unique island bases controlled by the evil Blackguard
- face fearsome Boss Enemies and uncover their evil plans
- discover the mysterious power of ancient statues and Life Crystals
What's New in Version 17.104.1Visual upgrades
- Magma Islands! Discover Magma Crystals by defeating the Blackguard on these volcanic islands
- New graphics for resource storages
- New statue graphics and effects
- Defense building visual improvements, including distinctive building bases to easily spot them
- Hot new effects: enemy HQ now burns when damaged, flamethrower fire and gunboat smoke improved
- Improved and extra boomy effects for rocket explosions and Boom Cannon shell impacts
- Daily summary popup info is now more informative
- Enemy Activity log shows which lost villages can be attacked immediately
- You can now access the Armory to check unit stats and upgrade costs even while an upgrade is underway in the Armory (thanks to L3stat for the suggestion!)
- Fixed Rocket Launcher damage per second info (thanks to Rudeman for the correction!)
Gameplay and balance changes
- Trees will now randomly grow back on your home base island (thanks to everyone who suggested this!)
- If a lot of enemy base buildings remain after the HQ is destroyed, they will blow up faster
- New dive location for Radar level 5
- Improved endgame npc matchmaking, no more low level Blackguard bases for endgame players
Also bug fixes and several optimizations to speed up game loading and to improve overall performance.