Boom Beach Review
- Asymmetric PvP proves surprisingly engrossing
- Strategic base reconstruction in response to attacks is satisfying
- Looks fantastic
- Things really do stall at times if you aren’t making in-app purchases
While undeniably similar similar to developer Supercell’s previous success Clash of Clans, Boom Beach features just enough tactical tweaks to keep the formula fresh.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Boom Beach is developer Supercell's follow-up to the phenomenally successful Clash of Clans. This lineage is obvious the moment you boot up the app, with the cartoony visuals, resource management, and tower defense-style battles echoing its fantasy-inspired ancestor.
However, rather than dump you in a Nordic netherword, Boom Beach has you establishing a base on a small tropical island. Your army has arrived to battle the evil Blackguard forces that have captured the surrounding islands, and enslaved their native inhabitants.
The game’s base-building mechanic has you developing a range of military and infrastructure upgrades to support your efforts. As with Clash of Clans, you can speed-up production through in-app purchases. The combat and upgrade systems are introduced at quite a clip, with the finer strategic details brushed over. This is easily forgiven, however, as you can move structures at any time, meaning you can adapt and learn as you play.
This flexibility blends well with Boom Beach’s PvP mode. When you're offline, other players can attack your island. While you cannot see battles as they play out, a replay function lets you discover holes in your defences, allowing you to patch them up afterwards. As the matchmaking pairs you with players of a similar rank, battles are extremely rewarding when you win, and educational when you lose.
When you attack other structures, your troops leap from a landing craft onto the beach and move towards the nearest structure, soaking up incoming fire as the go. An offshore gunboat does offer some support, providing flares to guide your troops, medkits to heal them, and even missiles to destroy enemy structures. These tools deliver the moment-to-moment action in battle, letting you engage in the surprisingly thrilling juggling act of firing your gunboat’s weapons, while haphazardly directing your troops past enemy forces and towards priority targets with flares.
Like its smash hit predecessor, Boom Beach is an addictive free-to-play game that allows you to enjoy most of what it has to offer for free, provided you don't mind waiting a little. While your progression will slow if you don't splash out on IAPs, the banding of the PvP and constant Blackguard battles mean that you will never be without things to do while you grind your way up the ranks.
DescriptionStorm the beach and win the day! Boom Beach is a combat strategy game where you fight an epic war against the evil Blackguard. Take your expeditionary force to beautiful paradise islands invaded by the enemy. Fight for every beachhead, free enslaved islanders and explore the uncharted archipelago. The fight becomes a race to harness the ancient powers hidden on the islands. Are you ready for the BOOM?
PLEASE NOTE! Boom Beach is completely free to play. However, some game items can also be purchased for real money. If you don't want to use this feature, please disable in-app purchases in your device's settings.
- explore a huge tropical archipelago full of danger and treasure
- play with thousands of other players, raid their bases and enjoy the spoils of war
- attack hundreds of unique island bases controlled by the evil Blackguard
- face fearsome Boss Enemies and uncover their evil plans
- discover the mysterious power of ancient statues and Life Crystals
What's New in Version 16.5.1Undersea Adventure
- Hunt for treasure under the waves with a brand new Submarine!
- Find dive locations on your map, and send the Submarine to retrieve sunken treasure
Shock and Awe
- Give attackers a jolt with Shock Launcher, a new high-level defensive building
- Enemy troops in the area of effect will be temporarily stunned. Stop rushing Warriors in their tracks!
For the War Effort
- Your efforts to fight the Blackguard are now rewarded daily! More Victory Points give you a bigger reward
- Added a special victory reward for raiding the top 3 players on the global leaderboard
- An all-new daily report in the Enemy Activity pane shows the number of times your home base was scouted, attacked and raided by the enemy
- Victory reward of an enemy base is now visible as a map popup after the island has been scouted
- Player opponent's Victory Points are now visible when scouting
- Mine damage is now displayed when scouting
- A mysterious cold spell has swept across the archipelago, and ice now covers all islands in the Northern region of the map
- Ice Power Stones only appear on frozen islands
- Island graphics improved and optimized
- New Rocket Launcher graphics
- New graphics and visual tweaks for Boom Cannon and Cannon
- Machine Gun graphics and effect tweaks
- Rockets from rocket launcher and gunboat barrage now weave in-flight