Fairway Solitaire Blast Review
- Publisher: Big Fish Games, Inc
- Genre: Entertainment
- Released: 3 Apr, 2014
- Size: 55.1 MB
- Price: FREE!
- Fun streamlined solitaire
- Cute visual style
- Intuitive controls
- Annoying reliance in IAPs
- The golf elements have been dialuted to nearly nothing
- Chance limits progression too much
Fairway Solitaire Blast is still an entertaining card game, but it does nothing to live up the original’s fantastic blend of cards and sport.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
The original Fairway Solitaire's blend of golf and cards was superb. Its simple take on solitaire was fun and immediate, while the golf elements encouraged you to minimise moves to come in under par.
Fairway Solitaire Blast retains the original's slick solitaire gameplay. Once again, your enjoyment of this will be dependent on your appreciation of solitaire. However, Blast’s streamlined gameplay kept us entertained as we attempted to clear each board as efficiently as possible.
Though the basic solitaire elements remain, Blast’s golf elements have been dialed back considerably, much to the game’s detriment. Now you have to come in under par by clearing three boards, one for each stroke - a far less elegant implementation of the golf metaphor. Considering the degree of chance involved in the game, this makes winning a hole more about luck than skill, as one bad screen can scupper your run for good.
Blast’s other huge alteration to the original is a reliance on in-app purchases. Every time you run out of cards, one of the game’s cartoon mascots will hop on screen to offer you the chance to buy a special card. You could try the Joker’s Wild card, letting you play any card on the board, or purchase a Hot Line card, which summons a gofer that guns down the majority of the remaining cards.
Its an expensive solution to succeed in this game of chance, but after trying to clear a hole for the dozenth time and feeling cheated by Blast’s random elements, these IAPs start to feel depressingly appealing.
Fairway Solitaire Blast may have a new cartoony look, but this doesn't make up for watering-down of the original premise. It a wonderful concept that has been diluted to make space for IAP. While this still leaves an entertaining game, it has been stretched too thin to be recommended over the superb original.
DescriptionIt's solitaire as you love it, but with a twist that has made it one of the most celebrated franchises ever: it's solitaire with power ups with friends with golf!
The goal is to play cards one higher or lower and clear the cards off the board. The twist is that you get to use an array of power ups to help you beat challenges that are designed around hand-crafted card layouts. All played on golf courses that include hazards like crab grass, and sand traps. All together, you've got a unique solitaire puzzle game that earned the franchise IGN's Fan Favorite Mobile App and Mobile Game of the Year nominations in 2013. Devise your strategy then attack the course!
But don't be entirely mislead. This is also a game about friends; not just any friends…your friends! Login to Facebook with your friends so you can help each other. (We won’t share or post anything on your wall, promise! We just want you enjoy the game with the people you know!)
• Fun gameplay that is easy to understand but offers challenges along the way
• 180 levels with more on the way all the time!
• Loads of challenges to make each level different
• Special "bonus" cards to help you reach your goals
• Leaderboards to see your friends and their scores
• A funny story with a cast of critters
• Saved progress as you hop from device to device (account required)
*** Discover more from Big Fish! ***
Sign up for our newsletter and never miss a new release or promotion again: http://bigfi.sh/iSplashNewsletter
Big Fish is the leading global marketplace to discover and enjoy casual games. You can enjoy our virtually endless selection of games anytime, anywhere — on your PC, Mac, mobile phone, or tablet. Learn more at bigfishgames.com!
Become a fan on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BigFishGames
Follow us on Twitter: http://bigfi.sh/BigFishTwitter
What's New in Version 1.3.12In this update:
• Optimizations and bug fixes to improve overall game performance.
• New Courses! – Hack through some major rough in the jungles of Golden Peaks.
• Tournament Rewards! – It’s no longer just about the glory! Log in to play tournaments and win prizes!
• Player Messaging! – Want to let your friends know who’s boss on the Fairway? Send them a note with our player-to-player messaging!
• Starter Bundle! – We’ve added a crazy good deal for new golfers to help them on the path to Blastery.
• Map UI Improvements! – Now you can send your friends lives directly from the map!
Thanks for the continued support and feedback, and be sure to keep an eye out for more exciting updates!
If you like this game, please consider taking a moment to rate/review it.
Want more awesome games like this one? Check out http://bigfi.sh/bfggamefinder
Experiencing issues? Please visit http://bigfi.sh/ENHelp