Trials Frontier Review
- Good translation of the console experience
- Tight controls
- Looks good, with lots of different tracks to test your skills
- Lots of repeating levels
- Occasionally cool down timers will have you waiting
- Controls have a little less finesse than on other systems
Trials Frontier is a surprisingly decent translation of the console series, successfully miniaturising the franchise’s precision gameplay for touchscreen, while keeping the free-to-play restrictions within tolerance levels.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Trials Frontier wastes no time getting you into the action. There’s no title screen as you load the app - instead, the game begins with an onscreen prompt showing you how to start your engine. Before we'd even seen the title card, we were scudding along the 2.5D path towards an explosive finale.
The game's first three tracks lay out all the controls. Your right thumb controls acceleration, while your left thumb manipulates your rider’s center of gravity, letting you jump a flip the digital daredevil around obstacles.
Veterans of Trials on the PC and Xbox will feel right at home with the touchscreen controls. The major downside is the replacement of analogue subtleties with binary buttons, meaning you can no longer ease off on the gas on trickier slopes. Luckily, developer RedLynx know exactly how its game is meant to feel, and has designed tracks that compliment these new inputs.
Rather than being a purely stage-based stunt-bike racer, Frontier actually features a story. You crash your bike while exploring, and awaken in a steampunk inspired Wild West. With your bike destroyed, you have to borrow one from the people of the town. To repay their kindness, you set about undertaking missions for them. This adds some structure, while also providing an excuse to reuse many of the short tracks.
The story also provides the framework for Frontier’s free-to-play elements. You can earn gems and money from the townsfolk, allowing you to upgrade your rickety new ride, or obtain more fuel to provide the energy required to race. Naturally, each of these commodities can be bought through in-app purchases. However, we only encountered a few occasions when cool down timers dramatically interrupted play. While some will protest the very notion of a free-to-play version of Trials, we have seen far more restrictive implimentations of the freemium model than what we found here.
From a purely physical perspective, Trials Frontier is a brilliant translation of the Trials series for mobile. The controls system does a great job of capturing the feel of the series, and a free-to-play system will only interrupt players who wish to play for extended without dropping a cent. As a result, there is nothing to stop everyone giving it a go.
Description"Astonishing - 5/5 - This is probably the best bike game you will ever come across. Get it. It's worth it - WHATCHUGOT"
Explore a vast world on your motorcycle. Compete against your friends on Global Leaderboards. Master physics-based tracks to challenge the world's top riders for the best times. Race your motorcycle through a world of adventure, crazy characters, and unfairly addictive tracks!
Experience the ULTIMATE skill-based RACING game on your iPhone!
ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES! Physics-based racing FINALLY PERFECTED for the touch screen!
CRUSH your FRIENDS and THE WORLD on the GLOBAL LEADERBOARDS!
RACE your motorcycle through a world of adventure, crazy characters, and UNFAIRLY ADDICTIVE TRACKS!
"Finally, a proper Trials game on my iPhone." – Touch Arcade
"Looking like the real deal." - Pocket Gamer
With Trials Frontier, award-winning developer RedLynx brings its best-selling and critically-acclaimed Trials series to mobile for the first time.
Built from the ground up for touch-based controls, Trials Frontier combines the AMAZING, physics-based gameplay of Trials with a big, bold world of adventure.
YOU WANT FEATURES? WE GOT MAD FEATURES!
- Master challenging physics-based gameplay that just feels right. Trials Frontier controls and physics are unrivaled on iOS!
- More MISSIONS than you can shake a stick at! You’ll be doing some SERIOUSLY CRAZY STUFF on that bike!
- Help your village grow and prosper (developer note: There are no crops to plant or sell, only CRUSH with your tires!)
- A HUGE WORLD with more than 50 hours of gameplay
- A HILARIOUS story line that makes LITTLE SENSE!
- 10 GORGEOUS ENVIRONMENTS to bust fat skills in!
- Complete and flip your way through more than 250 challenging missions!
- Compete on more than 70 UNIQUE TRACKS!
- COLLECT MAD LOOT and UPGRADE your bike!
- IMPROVE every building in your village to UNLOCK NEW ABILITIES!
- LEVEL UP your rider and REAP THE REWARDS!
- 9 bikes across 3 tiers, each with their own upgrade paths - UPGRADE ALL THE THINGS!
- PERFECTED GHOST RACING. Race any ghost on the leaderboards of any track!
- Are you a competitive person? Then don’t download this game!
- Invite and challenge your Facebook friends and make the competition personal!
- The A.N.B.A. system will find PERFECT matches for you to CRUSH WITH YOUR THUMBS!
- We’ve spent YEARS making the BEST RACING GAME for iPhone ever and we plan to keep it that way! Expect to see HUGE updates with NEW FEATURES & NEW CONTENT at any and all possible moments!
- Tired of “Always On” games requiring constant internet connection to play? So are we! Race to your hearts content with NO INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED!
iPhone 4S and higher, iPod touch 5th gen, iPad 2, iPad mini or higher. For the best possible Trials Frontier experience, use these recommended devices. Requires iOS 6.1 or later.
This game can be downloaded over the air, no Wi-Fi needed to play!
Game available in: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese.
"AWESOME - 5/5
This by far my favorite motor bike game of all time. - Huskylink"
"Great game! - 5/5 -
Feels just like a trials game should feel! - shaftisme"
Join Trials Community!
Play more at http://appstore.com/ubisoft
And join your community!
Any feedback? email@example.com
What's New in Version 2.2.1We’ve greatly improved the in-game feedback reporting tool. Customer Support at its finest!
Also, A.N.B.A.’s memory repair algorithm has gone on the fritz, prepare for unexpected results in track selection!