Robots Love Ice Cream™ Review
- Looks great
- Shooter gameplay is fun
- IAPs ruin upgrade progression
- Slow pace of play makes replaying levels monotonous
An entertaining slow paced shooter, Robots Love Ice Cream's insistence on rubbing your nose in its IAP prevents it from realising its potential.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Any dimension where ice cream can be used to save humanity is okay by us. Robots Love Ice Cream inhabits just such a dimension. With robots trying to steal vital dessert supplies, you must cruise the galaxy in your weaponized ice-cream truck, blasting mechanical agressors out of the sky.
Each invading robot looks like it has been taken straight out of a toy box. Their distinct appearances make each one easily identifiable, even during hectic moments. This ensures that you can instantly recognise units, allowing you to prioritise ice cream nabbing robots over general cannon fodder.
The worlds you protect appear spin beneath you as you drive left and right. The waves of enemies descending from the top of the screen reminded is of classic shoot'em-ups like Galaga. However, Robots Love Ice Cream operates at a much slower pace, something that might limit its appeal for genre fans.
There are four weapons available, three of which must be unlocked. Armaments are suitably ice cream-themed, and different enough that your choice of weapons will dramatically affect your tactics. We found the Rapid Pop's constant stream of low-powered aggression useful, but were also drawn to the Hot Fudge Fun Day's deliciously sticky explosions.
Unfortunately, at their initial power levels, weapons are quite ineffectual against powerful foes. Upgrading weapons eases this problem, but also proves the root of the game's biggest flaw. Despite being a premium title, the game is riddled with in-app purchase to speed up these unlocks. There seems to have been a conscious decision to impede progression in order to incentivise IAPs, forcing you to either grind through repetitive missions or pay even more money to upgrade promptly.
Robots Love Ice Cream flirts with brilliance, but shoots itself in the foot with its upgrade system. Overpriced IAPs could be forgiven in a free-to-play title, or in a game that allows you to earn currency at a reasonable rate. Here, however, the grinding feels cheap, especially when you've already paid your money upfront.
DescriptionSaving the galaxy is pretty sweet in this stunning, fun-packed arcade blaster! Save humanity’s vital ice cream stocks from dastardly robot enemies, armed with your weaponized ice cream (yes, weaponized ice cream!). Venture across the galaxy and discover stunning worlds, defeating the invading robot forces with your frozen firepower. When your robot foes have had enough, they explode with joy! You’ll also discover challenging extra mini-objectives, and upgrade your ice cream capabilities with magical Sprinkletonium to become super-powered!
MORE PLANETS, MORE SPRINKLETONIUM!
THREE NEW PLANETS have been unlocked! Challenge yourself to brand new objectives, with way more chances to collect all the Sprinkletonium needed for your next weapon upgrade!
STOCK UP AT THE STORE
It’s quicker and easier than ever to stock up your weaponized ice cream arsenal!
RATE THE ROBOTS
Having fun traveling throughout the galaxy, beating back the robot menace? Rate Robots Love Ice Cream here on the App Store today!
FEATURED ON THE APP STORE
In its first week, #RLIC was featured as one of the App Store’s Best New Games!
- Weaponized Ice Cream: From Rapid Pop to Hot Fudge Fun Day, every type of ice cream gives you a new experience defeating your robot menace.
- Each Planet Holds Tons of Challenges: Beat the clock, avoid traps, save the ice cream with one weapon? Defeating the robot menace is even tougher with unique objectives you face on each level.
- Combos Create Carnage: Weaponized ice cream is even more effective when you use your combos. Defeat more robots and collect more Sprinkletonium!
- Explore New Worlds: Travel throughout the galaxy, beating back the robot menace on desert planets, frozen tundra terrains, and other exotic territories.
- More Planets, More Robots: The more you play, the more robots you’ll meet. Each new foe makes it more difficult for you to save the galaxy’s ice cream supply!
- Power Up! What can Sprinkletonium do for you? Upgrade weaponized ice cream to help you better battle the ‘bots, that’s what!
- Multi-Dimensional Gameplay: 3D worlds in a 2D landscape make for a visually-appealing adventure through the galaxy.